When I was growing up, you knew life was good

At our local drug store, which had an ice cream fountain, 25 cents would get you a chocolate milk shake. If we were 'rich' that day, 30 cents would get you a chocolate malt. Also, 5 cents could get you a chocolate phosphate, but if 'rich', 7 cents would get you a coke, made with coke syrup and seltzer water. One more...7 cents would get you a fudgesicle, if 'rich, 10 cents would get you a real ice cream bar.
My DDad's workplace had a vending machine; a total marvel! Oh the undiluted JOY of finding a dime on the ground somewhere and saving it to use for a chocolate bar, which tasted 100x better than the exact same one if bought at the store. :cloud9:

I got my finger stuck in one of those trying to open it one time...life was not good in that moment lol

they were as dangerous as lawn darts

Life was good when we could play from sunup to sunset without a care in the world. And yes the 10 cent glass bottle of cola out of the local gas station pop machine was awesome! :love:

If we could all be a kid again for 1 week a year, we would be much happier people, plus despite you being from Michigan, its good to see other upper Midwestern people know the correct word for pop, its pop

We had one phone that hung on the kitchen wall. When I turned 16, I got a phone in my bedroom, a baby blue princess phone. That was the good life!

my sister (5 years older) got one, it was such a big deal to her, I still could see the excitement in her face

Fancy! We didn't get coloured tv until '74. :happytv: "Walt Disney", which is what we all called it, was the highlight of the week though!

Same with us. Our 1st color TV was a huge console piece of furniture that was so huge it looked like it could have been carved out of a redwood. Screen was about 19" but the piece of furniture was humongous.

Until then, every time NBC started their show with "Brought to you in Living Color on NBC!" it felt like they were trolling us.

Life was good when we could play from sunup to sunset without a care in the world. And yes the 10 cent glass bottle of cola out of the local gas station pop machine was awesome! :love:

I remember paying 15 cents for a bottle of ice cold cream soda, my favorite! My dad would make me drink it there so we could return the bottle for the 5 cent deposit. I loved hearing the clink of the bottles shifting in the machine and then opening the cap on the attached bottle opener. Ahhh, that was a good day!

Same with us. Our 1st color TV was a huge console piece of furniture that was so huge it looked like it could have been carved out of a redwood. Screen was about 19" but the piece of furniture was humongous.

Until then, every time NBC started their show with "Brought to you in Living Color on NBC!" it felt like they were trolling us.
My Grandparents had one of those for as long as I can remember; way before we got our first colour set (which was a 19" portable). They actually had one of the first in our community and their living room was routinely jam-packed during the Stanley Cup playoffs - what a novelty for people to be able to identify the teams by their jerseys! :laughing:

Our church had an old school Coke machine with the glass bottles. The kind where you opened the door to pull one out. I can honestly say I can remember when a Coke cost a dime!

Best times at a teen was riding my BMX bike with friends and when we were thirsty we would pull into a random yard and use their hose. Best part, back then no one cared! Also, when I was younger, I would ride my mini bike to the store with $1 which would fill it up and allow me to get an RC cola and Moon Pie!

When my parents would pick up Fosters Freeze for dinner. It wasn't often due to cost, but it was a delicious treat for us.

Getting into the car on a sunny day of summer holidays and being taken to the big park with a mini train, paddling pool and huge playground and having a picnic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter