• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When will AP return?

I contacted Disney Vacation Club concerning the future availability of annual passes. They basically just gave the official company line that they can not speculate on what might happen.

I got a fun surprise yesterday on MDE. I realized my Platinum AP that expired right before the shutdown had been extended through 8/16, so technically I can renew it if I act fast. Does anyone know if they will allow you to change the level of your AP from Platinum to Gold right now when you renew?

We cancelled our passes 3 months ago but got pass holder magnets in the mail yesterday with marketing saying how much Disney values pass holders. I suspect APs will be back sooner than people think. The marketing seemed a bit desperate to me. It said on the front some thing like, “The magic is still here.” And here was underlined and in bold. Lol. It reminded me of a teacher pointing to something repeatedly trying to get students to focus. I was thinking not with masks it isn’t.

I got a fun surprise yesterday on MDE. I realized my Platinum AP that expired right before the shutdown had been extended through 8/16, so technically I can renew it if I act fast. Does anyone know if they will allow you to change the level of your AP from Platinum to Gold right now when you renew?
When I spoke to member services (when I made a reservation) I asked about this. And, according to member services, yes - you can renew an AP, as a gold AP even if you are Platinum now. Right now, if you are staying a week it is less for a gold AP than a 7 day pass. Right now I'm a Platinum AP & I'm looking forward to being a Gold AP and saving some $$.

ill be watching myself, as were going in march for a week for my birthday, a week in july or august for my niece and nephew, and should be able to squeeze in a long weekend in december for a christmas party.

I am trying to not to obsessively check on AP availability. We have November, December, and January trips booked and will need to AP in order to go to the parks in December and January. I would be okay with a "special" one park AP with *that they are non-refundable in case of closer etc. I would even be okay with this costing what a "normal" DVC Gold pass costs. I realize it is better for Disney for people to buy individual tickets though.

SAME HERE! Just spent a tad more money for a March trip on tickets that the cost of a gold dvc annual pass!

I sucked it up and bought 10 day passes for the jan trip wit the intention of changing them to gold passes for the upcoming one trip. All i know is if the ja comes and goes and there is still no AP's being sold we are out till they come back. no way they are getting my money for tickets across multiple trips.

I personally don't see AP's being sold till later next year. Like past summer time into fall of 2021. Just my opinion.

We cancelled our passes 3 months ago but got pass holder magnets in the mail yesterday with marketing saying how much Disney values pass holders. I suspect APs will be back sooner than people think. The marketing seemed a bit desperate to me. It said on the front some thing like, “The magic is still here.” And here was underlined and in bold. Lol. It reminded me of a teacher pointing to something repeatedly trying to get students to focus. I was thinking not with masks it isn’t.
i think "here" meant in this envelope this magnet we are giving you is so awesome its "magical".

I sucked it up and bought 10 day passes for the jan trip wit the intention of changing them to gold passes for the upcoming one trip. All i know is if the ja comes and goes and there is still no AP's being sold we are out till they come back. no way they are getting my money for tickets across multiple trips.

I personally don't see AP's being sold till later next year. Like past summer time into fall of 2021. Just my opinion.

Since they are selling Park Hoppers starting Jan 1, I think APs will be back, too If you are choosing to go to WDW this January, it's unlikely you're not going to be willing to go back later in the year. Although I worry about a virus spike this winter, I tend to think another complete closure is unlikely at this point I think the biggest issue is no park hopping.

They can limit attendance by park reservations. They must have a plan in place for how they will handle hopping. So what's the problem?

Honesty, I find it frustrating. I think they should just make you sign a waiver with the understanding the AP is completely nonrefundable even if the parks cease to exist and that park admission is not guaranteed under any circumstances. Let people decide their risk tolerance.

Regardless, I will never again go without an extra set of APs in my account for everyone in the family.

When I spoke to member services (when I made a reservation) I asked about this. And, according to member services, yes - you can renew an AP, as a gold AP even if you are Platinum now. Right now, if you are staying a week it is less for a gold AP than a 7 day pass. Right now I'm a Platinum AP & I'm looking forward to being a Gold AP and saving some $$.
This just happened to me. Paid a tad more for a 7 day stay than a gold pass. New dvc member, so I had no option for a renewal on this. Will keep it up as soon as I get one.

Since they are selling Park Hoppers starting Jan 1, I think APs will be back, too If you are choosing to go to WDW this January, it's unlikely you're not going to be willing to go back later in the year. Although I worry about a virus spike this winter, I tend to think another complete closure is unlikely at this point I think the biggest issue is no park hopping.

They can limit attendance by park reservations. They must have a plan in place for how they will handle hopping. So what's the problem?

Honesty, I find it frustrating. I think they should just make you sign a waiver with the understanding the AP is completely nonrefundable even if the parks cease to exist and that park admission is not guaranteed under any circumstances. Let people decide their risk tolerance.

Regardless, I will never again go without an extra set of APs in my account for everyone in the family.

I agree, I think we should be allowed to decide how much risk we're willing to take. I'm slightly frustrated as my 11 month window for booking our next trip opens up in about three weeks. I'm a planner, so not having APs in place is messing with my vibe! I really feel for those who have trips that are around the corner, my situation pales in comparison.

Why would u buy 2 sets of annual passes? That makes no sense to me?

I would still buy an annual pass without hopping.

I really don’t know what I’m going to do for January. Right Now I just don’t have it in me. I have no drive for the trip. I’m kinda stuck in home mode still.

g
Why would u buy 2 sets of annual passes? That makes no sense to me?

I would still buy an annual pass without hopping.

I really don’t know what I’m going to do for January. Right Now I just don’t have it in me. I have no drive for the trip. I’m kinda stuck in home mode still.

In short, so that if something like this ever happens again, I am covered for quite a few years. If they suddenly stopped selling DVC APs forever, i'm guessing they'd honor whatever you had already purchased. Honestly, we had a supply of 10 day no exp tix back in the day that lasted us for soooo long. Even now, those waterpark options never expire so we are set for LIFE on those since we don't waterpark very often (maybe just to hit the lazy river for a few hours once in a great while). So, I guess I'm just not at all averse to stockpiling. It has always worked out for us.

I buy APs as I earn the Disney Rewards Dollars from my credit card. Then I also watch for gift card promos all year (like my preferred grocery store will do bonus gift cards frequently and I use them for Disney gift cards that I can apply to APs) I also have unused tickets in my account (from previous years free dining bookings) that I can apply to our passes, but that has to be done in person (and I was planning on taking care of that in April). So, for me, it's not a big cash investment to get to the point where I could have any APs we are currently using + 1 set sitting in our account. Then just keep adding on.

When I bought DVC just a few years ago APs were only $550. I beat the last price increase (even if just for a few passes) by buying ahead. We won't typically renew APs. We do 1 trip per calendar year, 11ish months apart. Sometimes we may skip a year, sometimes not, but it makes more sense to not renew and buy new with the way we travel.

Who knows how long this park reservation crap will go on. If I've always got AP vouchers sitting there, I can always book parks. I just hate being tied down. We may only do 3 park days total for our January trip. But with AP vouchers sitting there, I can book parks for every day and add some flexibility to our vacation even if I end up just upgrading one of our existing tix to a 3 day park ticket.

TBH, I feel you on the January trip. I just changed my resort selections last night and it gave me a renewed sense of excitement, but the worry and disappointment in all that will be different is still underlying and drags me down a bit. It's been a rollercoaster for me. Some days I just can't wait to go and others I wonder if I even want to at all.

g

In short, so that if something like this ever happens again, I am covered for quite a few years. If they suddenly stopped selling DVC APs forever, i'm guessing they'd honor whatever you had already purchased. Honestly, we had a supply of 10 day no exp tix back in the day that lasted us for soooo long. Even now, those waterpark options never expire so we are set for LIFE on those since we don't waterpark very often (maybe just to hit the lazy river for a few hours once in a great while). So, I guess I'm just not at all averse to stockpiling. It has always worked out for us.

I buy APs as I earn the Disney Rewards Dollars from my credit card. Then I also watch for gift card promos all year (like my preferred grocery store will do bonus gift cards frequently and I use them for Disney gift cards that I can apply to APs) I also have unused tickets in my account (from previous years free dining bookings) that I can apply to our passes, but that has to be done in person (and I was planning on taking care of that in April). So, for me, it's not a big cash investment to get to the point where I could have any APs we are currently using + 1 set sitting in our account. Then just keep adding on.

When I bought DVC just a few years ago APs were only $550. I beat the last price increase (even if just for a few passes) by buying ahead. We won't typically renew APs. We do 1 trip per calendar year, 11ish months apart. Sometimes we may skip a year, sometimes not, but it makes more sense to not renew and buy new with the way we travel.

Who knows how long this park reservation crap will go on. If I've always got AP vouchers sitting there, I can always book parks. I just hate being tied down. We may only do 3 park days total for our January trip. But with AP vouchers sitting there, I can book parks for every day and add some flexibility to our vacation even if I end up just upgrading one of our existing tix to a 3 day park ticket.

TBH, I feel you on the January trip. I just changed my resort selections last night and it gave me a renewed sense of excitement, but the worry and disappointment in all that will be different is still underlying and drags me down a bit. It's been a rollercoaster for me. Some days I just can't wait to go and others I wonder if I even want to at all.

I agree. I know I will be renewing ours this year, and Will buy an extra voucher as well.

Can you buy an extra voucher when renewal? Or do you mean you'll buy an extra when they go on sale again?

Sorry, that was confusing. I will buy a brand new AP voucher as a back up so I know I am covered as I know I will be going a lot now that I am retired, in case I didn’t renew.

I got one in for my DD right before sales shut down so even for her, I will probsbly just renew from now on because she will be going at least once a year.

What I have to decide is whether it’s worth to get back up ones for the others.

Sorry, that was confusing. I will buy a brand new AP voucher as a back up so I know I am covered as I know I will be going a lot now that I am retired, in case I didn’t renew.

I got one in for my DD right before sales shut down so even for her, I will probsbly just renew from now on because she will be going at least once a year.

I like your strategy, I hadn't thought to do that!🧐

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter