When will your Christmas tree go up?

EARLY this year. We are going to our vacation house this weekend and are thinking about putting it up when we go, and I'm thinking about putting it up at our regular house as soon as I'm done quarantining after the election (I'm an election official). The Christmas tree makes me happy, and I need some happiness these days!

Since 2014, we have a tradition of putting up the tree/decorating over Veteran's day holiday. That year, I was starting a new job in mid Nov, and realized we wouldn't have time later. Federal holiday, so Hubby is always off, and can get the tree out of storage, etc. . We also almost always travel over Thanksgiving to a theme park like Disney or Universal, or just something close. Immediate family for me have all passed away, my older son is often busy in LA, and not planning to come to TN, In-laws are here, but when all is said and done, I am very much ok w not being home, or doing any Thanksgiving at all, usually makes me sad. I'd rather be away. Love Christmas decorations though, so always happy to have them up a few extra weeks in Nov.

Ours usually goes up the first weekend in December for a couple of reasons - 1. I'm sick of it in about 2 weeks, 2. I dislike the extra clutter, 3. It's a pain in the rear to drag all the stuff out of the attic.

Since Thanksgiving is late this year and we aren't traveling I may do it that weekend instead. I emptied out the big hall closet last year and turned it into a Christmas decoration closet so that eliminates reason #3, it'll be a much easier job this year.

Every year for the past few years, when the holidays are over, we wrap up our fake, pre-lit, fully trimmed tree in several big sheets and store in a back room til next season.

My grandmother did this too, in her later years. She kept it in a basement closet.

Goes up the weekend after Thanksgiving and comes down prior to New Year's Eve. I like everything clean, organized and ready for a new year.

Another 12 Days of Christmas purist here: it goes up Xmas Eve and comes down on Epiphany (Jan 6th). I was raised to do this for religious reasons, but also for fire safety; a tree kept up for much longer than this is apt to dry out and become extremely flammable when exposed to an electric spark.

I always find it sad to see enormous piles of discarded Christmas trees at the curb on December 26th -- you have several days of Christmas left at that point!

PS: Edited to add an anecdote from DD yesterday. We went to Walmart and there were aisles of Christmas decorations all over the place. She was livid. "It's not even Halloween yet; these people need to stop trying to rush me!"

Last edited:
I would like to say Dec 2021 but I know DH will want to get a real tree and it will most likely be the second week of December.

This is where I am, too. I could put up a small table top fake tree a week before Christmas day, and call it a year. But my husband - who loves Christmas - seems to really want/need a big to-do this year. Thing it, our big family room is otherwise occupied so we have just a small sitting room as our "living" area this year. I ordered a 7' pencil fake tree just this afternoon and I have decided not to complain and let him have the tree up whenever he feels like it after Thanksgiving. Hopefully next year we can go back to a real tree and will feel more merry & bright.

We just bought our $20 permit to cut a tree down in a nearby national forest, a tradition that we really enjoy! The permit is for Black Friday, so the tree is going up on Black Friday! 🎄

That sounds like a really cool idea! I'm going to have to look into that as a possibility for us next year, what a fun tradition....I wonder if we have a national forest near us that offers this...I'm off to google. Thanks for the idea.

I've always abided by the rule of thumb is out of respect for veterans no Christmas lights until after November 11th.
Outside lights go on after that to brighten up the dreary November landscape.
Christmas decorations other than outside lights go up first weekend in December (or last in November if it falls late).

I've always abided by the rule of thumb is out of respect for veterans no Christmas lights until after November 11th.
Outside lights go on after that to brighten up the dreary November landscape.
Christmas decorations other than outside lights go up first weekend in December (or last in November if it falls late).

My veteran (retired USAF) DH is the one who put ours up today. 😁 We normally don't do this early, but between COVID and political drama plus DD begging we threw normalcy out the window.

The deed is done. We just finished the tree. Will wait a week or two for the outdoor. :)
So I asked DH when we were bringing down the Christmas boxes so we could decorate Sunday. This is what happened instead 🤣 It isn’t decorated yet and nothing else is up, but mixed with our Halloween decorations, it feels pretty 2020 to me. (Sorry not sure why it’s uploading sideways - it’s correct on my phone)

0ACD2FC0-64AD-4FD2-A632-5D60BD663201.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter