When you first bought DVC...

Bought an 150 pt VWL contract in 2009, with plans for kids, in our early 30's...got a great deal on a resale due to the crummy economy at the time. Now with 2 kids, we go every other year and the "magic" remains.

I was 37. DH was 40. Our two DSs were 12 and 10. We had been on a land/sea trip three years prior. We didn't love the parks as we tried to do everything thinking it was our only trip. When we realized we could do the parks at a much slower pace, we became intrigued, and after doing the research, we bought in at AKV. We added on at HHI the next year. Ten years later, we have one DS in college and one DS graduating college in two weeks. We have enjoyed many relaxing trips to WDW and HHI and plan to have many more once I retire in two years! We do not regret it.

DH and I were in our mid 20s when we first bought DVC. We were married and had bought our house 2 years prior to purchasing DVC. We purchased our second contract last year (now early to mid 30s). We don't have kids yet, but maybe in the next couple years. We always say that DVC was our best purchase, we have no regrets. DVC forced us to take the time away from work and our day-to-day lives and vacation and treat ourselves. Our trips are very different now though, we don't do the parks nearly as much as we used to and really look forward to our time at the resorts.

We bought OKW points in 2006. DH and I were 33 and our kids were 7, 7 and 9. We had been to WDW, as a family, on two previous trips....one off site stay and one POR stay. We loved being on site but as a family of 5 we wanted more space like a condo set up with master bedroom, kitchen and laundry. So DVC fit the bill. We also planned to go to WDW every 8-12 months. Other than WDW, we were doing beach trips where we'd rent a condo so we figured we could also use our DVC at Vero or Hilton Head (later fell in love with HHI and added on points there).

At first we did 1BR villas and had DS sleep on airbed and twin DDs on pull out sofabed. Then they hit teen years and we upgraded to a 2BR so we could separate DS and DDs, so they wouldn't kill each other LOL, and have an extra bathroom. We added on the HHI points then and eventually added BWV points so we could get the larger rooms.

Now, the kids are all off to college and we have been doing a lot of studio stays. This has allowed 3 trips a year. And has also allowed us to bring family. But we discovered that we don't like studios so if it's more than just a night or 2, we will go back to 1BR stays. But the kids aren't able to come much. And so DH and I do a more leisurely trip with lots of dining, including trying more signatures, and we just pop in the parks for our 3 FP and that's it.

I figure someday we will be back to the hard core commando style trips when the kids get married and we all go together and then especially when they have kids. So, you see, DVC can work for any life stage and usage of DVC does tend to morph over the years.

Last edited:
Mid 30's, 3 young kids at home, do not regret it a bit. Got in about a year after VGC opened.

We were in our early 30s with a 8yr old and 3 yr old (VWL) We have added on once since then (AKL) over the last 18 years. Now the kids don't go as my daughter married a guy who just doesn't get Disney (gasp!) and my son is in college. We have ended up renting our points out lately as my dh was laid off after 23 yrs at one company; immediately got a contracting job (no vacation there) and now has just started a full time job (needs to bank some vacation before we can do anything).
Looking forward to getting back to Disney and we want to go to Vero Beach on our next trip!

I was 27 single and no kids. I would go about once a year. Now I'm 38, married with 1 kid, 5 y/o and we are considering buying some more points.

Used a friends, stayed at OKW with my son, me 36 and he was 2, we were hooked. Bought in 2000, OKW points, still my favorite resort. And if you're considering buying, it's important to buy where you really want to stay. We took countless vacations, long week-end with friends and family, and typically followed his school calendar. He is soon to be 22, he still goes with us but I also allow him to go alone with his friends. Usage has changed, but I still love it, now I book Food and Wine week-ends, Flower & Garden week-ends with my girlfriends. We like to experience the better restaurants etc., long gone are the days of character buffets, yeah. I anticipate, hopefully a good long while from now, next usage change, bringing grand kid(s). DVC ownership is one of the best things I did for my family.

Last edited:
We were 50 and 51, with 2 in college. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that we're not the only ones here with adult children when we bought DVC. As a matter of fact, one of our first DVC was to celebrate DS #1's college graduation, and his contract for his first job was faxed to the resort.

39 for me, wife 38, kids 6 and 4. We found ourselves taking 6 trips between Dec '16 and Mar '18, spending a lot of money in the process. Especially because we found ourselves rapidly progressing from a value to a mod and eventually to the deluxes. We did the math: we carry no debt except a very low interest 15-year mortgage, fully fund our retirement every year and we could pay cash. So we splurged on what is most definitely a luxury item. :) I don't think we will regret it.

mid 50's, dinks (duel income, no kids). We bought the majority of our points resale, and then a small direct add-on to get us to where we wanted to be.

When people questioned it, my wife would say "we are our own kids"

Wow thank you for all of the responses! It sounds like people from all different life stages buy in to DVC.

How old was everyone when you first bought into DVC? Also, what life stage were you at? Like, did you have young kids, older kids etc.

I’m asking as a 28 year old with no kids, but I go to Disney often. Just wanting to get some perspectives from people of different life stages of when to buy in
We were ~40 (one on either side), no kids. We purchased to solve a business need, not a personal need, as our employer had quit paying for our favorite IBM conference held annually at the Dolphin/Swan/YC Conference Centers. We attended that conference for a total of 20 years staying mostly at either the Dolphin or YC. We were already spoiled by timeshare ownership and knew we enjoyed 1BR units over hotels. So ... when the employer quit paying we figured we'd be better off having at least a small holding of DVC for booking BWV directly rather than paying out in cash (ugh!) or relying on inbound exchanges against our other timeshare.

The conference ended in 2015 ... so since then we've been finding ways to use our points for 'strictly personal travel.' We have considered selling but haven't hit a 'pain point' sufficient to make that call. We are using the points ... even if our DVC travel is frivolous, silly and completely unnecessary.

We were 51 when we first bought in. Our oldest was just starting college, youngest was in 9th grade. At that point I had been taking 4 or 5 day solo trips twice a year for about 7 years.

I tried to get my husband to do it when we were in our 40's but he wouldn't. I even gave him the numbers of what I was spending on hotel rooms and how much we would save.
Then one of his co-workers talked to him about it and how much she loved it and he was finally ready to buy.

I was 38, DH 41. Our kids were 8 and 4. We had just come into an inheritance (Mom's passing), and decided to do something fun with part of it as we were already visiting Disney yearly and had previously talked about buying DVC at some point. My kids just completed their 20th visit to Disney world thanks to our DVC and getting Annual passes every other year! So many memories--each trip is different, some we've travelled with family or friends, others by ourselves...trips from 3-7 nts, at pretty much all the DVC Disney World properties.

DH and I love Disney ourselves...we're starting to enter the next chapter...with 1 kid going to college in the fall. We're planning to do Thanksgiving at Disney with both kids and my dad...then February will just be our younger child with us. It's interesting...I had years and years planned out as to when we were going in Feb or April...now I'm not sure when we're going after 2/19...(okay, I know we'll go in 4/20 to celebrate my youngest's sweet 16...as her older sister got to go for her sweet 16!)...but not sure when we're going with our oldest again after this Thanksgiving.

We bought in when I was 30 and my hubs was 31 with no kids. We have 100 points that work for us since we tend to take at least one annual trips.

I was 47 DW 43, kids 16,13,11 That was in 1993 after many annual trips to WDW. Fast forward to today, 4 grand kids 7, 7, 5, 2 We go 2x a year now, one with the family, one just DW and I. Sometimes we sneak in a 3rd trip. Often share with family and friends. Biggest group was in 1999 we had 6 units, 3 2BRs and 3 studios, with 33 people. A real blast, 4 generations. Most points are at OKW now, had BCV and sold them a few years back, units too small for the gang we tend to go with. Added more at OKW so we can have GVs most trips and a 1 or 2 BR for the 2nd trip each year.

Last edited:
How old was everyone when you first bought into DVC? Also, what life stage were you at? Like, did you have young kids, older kids etc.

I’m asking as a 28 year old with no kids, but I go to Disney often. Just wanting to get some perspectives from people of different life stages of when to buy in

I joined ten years ago at the age of 42 when my kids were 16, 18 and 20. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. In fact, I just added on a few months ago. Having DVC has made it so that I can invite extended family along without having to worry about room cost. I was also able to gift my son and his bride a stay at AKV for their honeymoon last year.

Married, 33, with two kids, ages 6 and 9 at the time.
Now, almost 49 and kids are 22 and 25 :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter