Which would you do? (for July 4th)

mousestruck

DIS Veteran
My 18-year-old daughter and I are heading to WDW July 3-7. Wasn't initially in the plans, but couldn't resist when we found out she is off from work on July 5 (and we have annual passes)! We have been over the July 4th holiday twice, but had the luxury of avoiding the parks entirely on 7/4 since they were longer stays. This trip is short, so not an option!

That being said, we have seen the special MK fireworks (which are spectacular) but don't want to deal with the huge MK crowds on 7/4. We also don't want to deal with the bus back to POP after Illuminations. So we've narrowed it down to two options. I realize neither experience equals fireworks in the parks, but offers more of a compromise:

Option#1: I got a 5:15 reservation at California Grill. That offers a special, wonderful dinner (following morning at Epcot and afternoon resort break) with the opportunity to return to view MK fireworks from the deck later that evening. Downside is we'd have to kill about two hours in between. Not enough time to return to POP, so I'd guess we'd wander around monorail resorts. Then we'd probably take a Lyft back to resort - or take a bus to Disney Springs and then a bus to POP (to avoid MK crowds).

Option #2: After spending the morning at Epcot, we'd have a leisurely lunch out of the sun and then head to DHS at night for Star Wars dessert party. No spectacular fireworks, but better crowds I'm sure and still a fun experience.

Which would you choose?

My 18-year-old daughter and I are heading to WDW July 3-7. Wasn't initially in the plans, but couldn't resist when we found out she is off from work on July 5 (and we have annual passes)! We have been over the July 4th holiday twice, but had the luxury of avoiding the parks entirely on 7/4 since they were longer stays. This trip is short, so not an option!

That being said, we have seen the special MK fireworks (which are spectacular) but don't want to deal with the huge MK crowds on 7/4. We also don't want to deal with the bus back to POP after Illuminations. So we've narrowed it down to two options. I realize neither experience equals fireworks in the parks, but offers more of a compromise:

Option#1: I got a 5:15 reservation at California Grill. That offers a special, wonderful dinner (following morning at Epcot and afternoon resort break) with the opportunity to return to view MK fireworks from the deck later that evening. Downside is we'd have to kill about two hours in between. Not enough time to return to POP, so I'd guess we'd wander around monorail resorts. Then we'd probably take a Lyft back to resort - or take a bus to Disney Springs and then a bus to POP (to avoid MK crowds).

Option #2: After spending the morning at Epcot, we'd have a leisurely lunch out of the sun and then head to DHS at night for Star Wars dessert party. No spectacular fireworks, but better crowds I'm sure and still a fun experience.

Which would you choose?
Probably option one of you already have the reservation and the fireworks experience is included...

Be prepared for surge pricing as everyone else will be looking to get out of the general area after the fireworks.
That’s a great point.

But that’s definitely the option I’d go with—seeing the fireworks from up there is amazing. But I’m guessing you’ll have more like 3 hours to kill—wouldn’t fireworks be at 10 by then? But depending on whether you enjoy a drink, a trip to Trader Sams and some monorail resort shopping—plus maybe a boat ride to Poly and WL—could definitely entertain ME for three or four hours!! Have fun with your girl!

That’s a great point.

But that’s definitely the option I’d go with—seeing the fireworks from up there is amazing. But I’m guessing you’ll have more like 3 hours to kill—wouldn’t fireworks be at 10 by then? But depending on whether you enjoy a drink, a trip to Trader Sams and some monorail resort shopping—plus maybe a boat ride to Poly and WL—could definitely entertain ME for three or four hours!! Have fun with your girl!
Thank you! Fireworks are 9:15, unless the schedule changes. Great suggestions for killing time. Hadn’t thought about the boat ride option... and we do love shopping!

We did Cali Grill on July 4th a few years ago and that worked out very well. We had dinner earlier and then I have no idea what we did until fireworks. I think we stayed around the CR. People do start arriving up there at the restaurant early for the fireworks (those who dined early in the night like we did) so definitely give yourself time to take that elevator up. I remember it being very busy to go up there - and coming down after the fireworks was a bit of a wait as well. I think we got up there at least 45 mins before the fireworks started. So don't show up right before the fireworks in case there's a line for the elevator up. I wish I could remember how we got back to the hotel - I'm fairly sure we bussed it back from the MK.

The dessert party sounds like fun too - I could be talked into either of those options.

Option 1 sounds amazing! We will also be there July 3-6. We are planning on staying at the resort all July 4 since we are doing MK July 3 with evening EMH. But I’m still checking everyday for a ADR at Cali July 4 just in case

Just booked the Fireworks Dessert Party at Tomorrowland Terrace for July 3rd. Been looking for a few weeks now and I was finally able to get in.

Just booked the Fireworks Dessert Party at Tomorrowland Terrace for July 3rd. Been looking for a few weeks now and I was finally able to get in.

That is encouraging. I'm trying to get one more ticket for the Frozen Ever After on the 4th and have been refreshing for weeks. :) Hope you enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter