• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who else goes back and forth with emotions on COVID?

We stopped watching the news months ago... Nothing but fear mongering, and political drivel....

DH is in essential service, and I take care of my parents, who are both compromised, and all summer I have been watching my Grandson, he's 5... So retreating and staying in the house has not been a option for us...

As well when you isolate yourself, your not seeing for yourself what is going on, and the fear takes over... Take a long drive, walk through a park, bike, swimming... you have to get out of your own head...

I use precaution when I am out...and take it seriously... We have been out eating, yes inside restaurants, hauling our boat, shopping, and going about our daily life, we have stayed in hotels, traveled around for some weekend getaway, and are heading to see Mickey and the Gang at the end of the month for a long weekend... ... ( Fl resident and AP holder)... Taking Grandson to swimming lessons all summer...

I have always been a firm believer in hand washing... constantly.... hand sanitizer, and wearing my mask... I carry spray, and gel, as well as disinfecting wipes in my bag.... watching for people crowding, and taking personal responsibility for myself and my family...

We stopped watching the news months ago... Nothing but fear mongering, and political drivel....

DH is in essential service, and I take care of my parents, who are both compromised, and all summer I have been watching my Grandson, he's 5... So retreating and staying in the house has not been a option for us...

As well when you isolate yourself, your not seeing for yourself what is going on, and the fear takes over... Take a long drive, walk through a park, bike, swimming... you have to get out of your own head...

I use precaution when I am out...and take it seriously... We have been out eating, yes inside restaurants, hauling our boat, shopping, and going about our daily life, we have stayed in hotels, traveled around for some weekend getaway, and are heading to see Mickey and the Gang at the end of the month for a long weekend... ... ( Fl resident and AP holder)... Taking Grandson to swimming lessons all summer...

I have always been a firm believer in hand washing... constantly.... hand sanitizer, and wearing my mask... I carry spray, and gel, as well as disinfecting wipes in my bag.... watching for people crowding, and taking personal responsibility for myself and my family...
Can we be friends!? So much common sense in your post.

Absolutely ridiculous. And this kind of stuff will not change unless/until somehow these people are held accountable for their actions. I just don't understand this attitude, seen primarily in the US, where everyone is out for themselves and screw everyone else. I don't believe in living in a police type state but honestly what do you have to do to get people to do what they are supposed to do?

Maybe give workers paid sick time, so they don't have to choose between being sick and their paycheck? Maybe don't limit paid sick time to 2 days a year so they won't get fired if they have to call in sick? Maybe provide healthcare that isn't tied to a job, so if you DO need to stay home even if you lose your job you won't lose your health insurance? The safety net in the USA doesn't exist anymore, so people have to make choices that aren't necessarily in the best interest of everyone, but it's what they need to do to keep a roof over their heads and food on their tables.

Yes and no. I long for a sense of normalcy, so sometimes get overwhelmed by the idea that this is life now. That I can’t see an end in sight and as a planner/type A, I struggle with that.

But I’ve started viewing it as stages of grief and I’ve finally landed in acceptance. I don’t like it, but I can also accept that this is what is happening. Except for creating a bubble, nothing has changed for us since March. We still haven’t set foot in a store or gone to a restaurant. Some days I really miss doing that, but for the most part I realize I miss things a lot less than I thought I would. The hardest part for me is missing some of my friends and the lack of travel. The travel one is really hard both because it’s what fills my bucket, but also because I know how risky it is and that it’ll be one of the last things I’m really comfortable doing. My current struggle is what to do about school for my kids, so I am completely stressed out about that.

But I do firmly believe the Coronacoaster is a reel things and that emotions will fluctuate all the time. Hang in there❤
Yes. I feel all of that. Also add overseas mission work which is now impossible. I love interacting with people, serving people IN PERSON WITH HUGS. Now you can't without dying.

I think that has been one of the hardest parts. We are in a position now where we cannot share anything that makes us happy at all, unless it takes place 100% at home and only with those who live with us, without people we care about, those we think of as friends and often even our own extended families, second guessing what unnecessary risks were involved in our activities and attempting to shame us for them. My girls and I rented a house for a couple of weeks in April and I didn't tell anyone about the trip, didn't share pictures of our hikes or the adorable family of otters we watched off the deck of our rental, didn't say a thing about any of it because just a few days before we left I posted pictures of us hiking, alone, at a state park near our home and got an absolute flood of negativity over the fact that we left the house and left our neighborhood for something we could have lived without. I'm sorry, but only doing those things that we would actually die if we skipped isn't living. But I know better now than to think I can share a picture of enjoying a (take out) ice cream in the park or of my daughter and her BFF swinging in the backyard, never mind of a beautiful hike or a camping adventure. And that's really, really sad.
That is sad. You absolutely can do that. We hope to do that over the next few months. I was about to launch an outdoor travel blog. No way that is happening. Months of work. If I publish any of it I would be "tone deaf."

Everything I worked and planned for, gone.

I feel like I’m the only one who goes back and forth between being terrified and resigned about COVID-19...Who else feels like this?

You are absolutely not alone! The “Coronacoaster” is a very real thing, and we refer to it often in my house.

Some days I’m great and positive and some days I’m a lump. But I’ve learned to roll with it.

I have ups and downs, but I try to keep in mind the Stockdale Paradox, named after Vietnam POW and Medal of Honor winner James Stockdale. As he put it, "You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end — which you can never afford to lose — with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be."

https://bigthink.com/personal-growt...lity-vital-success?rebelltitem=2#rebelltitem2
I must admit I’d never heard of this before now but I love it! Completely in keeping with the biblical counsel by which I live my life: “In this world you will have trouble...”.
...As well when you isolate yourself, your not seeing for yourself what is going on, and the fear takes over... Take a long drive, walk through a park, bike, swimming... you have to get out of your own head...

I’m not advocating that anyone needs to “get themselves out there” but I do know from experience that perspective is everything. We returned from international travel on March 21 and went straight from the airport into 14 days of strict quarantine. Between the isolation, the bombardment of news and just generally feeling like a leper, it seemed like the world was coming to an end.

After the mandated period we went back to work and back into the world in whatever limited way was allowed at the time, following all official requirements and using cautious common sense. We’ve continued on the same course since and It’s a night-and-day difference in how “scary” everything feels. Grim, yes - terrifying and completely beyond our control, no.

I’m not advocating that anyone needs to “get themselves out there” but I do know from experience that perspective is everything.
The thing is also different people can have different perspective of the same situation. I look a beach full of people and think nope there is no way I’m going there it’s too crowded and doesn’t feel safe, even though the different groups are at least six feet apart. You may see it and feel it is safe because the groups are distanced. We see the same scene but have very different/opposite views.

The thing is also different people can have different perspective of the same situation. I look a beach full of people and think nope there is no way I’m going there it’s too crowded and doesn’t feel safe, even though the different groups are at least six feet apart. You may see it and feel it is safe because the groups are distanced. We see the same scene but have very different/opposite views.

True, true. I got chicken pox at a crowded beach when I was a teenager, so I'm very wary of being outside anywhere where there are a lot of people. I know from experience you can get sick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter