Who here has walked away from social media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m still on FB because there are a lot of local things that get posted there and only there. I am tempted to delete mine and rejoin under an alias just to follow those pages. I did do a huge clean out last year which has made my feed better. But 5 did re-requesr me (I declined).

I’m on IG and prefer it to FB. Also on Twitter, but since I’m more anonymous on there, it’s easier to deal with without worrying about any drama.

I’m still on FB because there are a lot of local things that get posted there and only there. I am tempted to delete mine and rejoin under an alias just to follow those pages. I did do a huge clean out last year which has made my feed better. But 5 did re-requesr me (I declined).

I’m on IG and prefer it to FB. Also on Twitter, but since I’m more anonymous on there, it’s easier to deal with without worrying about any drama.

I’ve also thought about rejoining under a fake name for Facebook marketplace. I hear people talk about all of their great finds and that it’s a great place to sell things.

I browse FB about once/day. If I have a friend who's a one trick pony (e.g. all politics all the time), I snooze them for 30 days. If they're still that way when they come off snooze, I unfollow them.

I have my Twitter follows divided into lists so I can keep a lot of stuff separated and don't have to see it unless I want to.

I like Instagram because most of my follows are travel accounts. It's fun to see pics of places around the world, especially since we can't travel right now.

I go on FB to see what my cousins and other family members are doing. I comment when I have something to say. I probably check it every other week.

Last edited:
I LOVE Facebook! I have never had the issues that people have posted about/complained about over the years on the Dis. I am only connected to around 100 people, and those 100 people are real friends or family. I don't get why people have thousands of friends! I would have no interest in that.

I love staying connected to friends/family that I don't get to see regularly.

I have never played any type of games on Facebook.

I don't post a ton of stuff, but what I do post, I am posting for my own benefit and no one elses. I post my travel photos and often go back to either check something out or remind myself of something. For example, we did a trip through the 5 National Parks in Utah back in 2016. Two months ago, my husband came home from work and asked me the name of the amazing restaurant that we ate at in Moab Utah. I had no idea the name of the place, but in a matter of seconds, I logged onto my Facebook and quickly brought up August 2016 on my page and found the post I made about the restaurant. For me, its kinda like a diary and I enjoy going back to look up stuff that I posted years ago. Again, what I post is solely for myself, if other people get something out of it, so be it!

I don't use twitter or Instagram.

I LOVE Facebook! I have never had the issues that people have posted about/complained about over the years on the Dis. I am only connected to around 100 people, and those 100 people are real friends or family. I don't get why people have thousands of friends! I would have no interest in that.

I don't post a ton of stuff, but what I do post, I am posting for my own benefit and no one elses. I post my travel photos and often go back to either check something out or remind myself of something. For example, we did a trip through the 5 National Parks in Utah back in 2016. Two months ago, my husband came home from work and asked me the name of the amazing restaurant that we ate at in Moab Utah. I had no idea the name of the place, but in a matter of seconds, I logged onto my Facebook and quickly brought up August 2016 on my page and found the post I made about the restaurant. For me, its kinda like a diary and I enjoy going back to look up stuff that I posted years ago. Again, what I post is solely for myself, if other people get something out of it, so be it!

I use my FB much the same way. I love the walks down memory lane. I don’t care if others like it - they’re free to snooze or unfriend me.

I will say between the election and pandemic I saw new sides to people (both sides). It was both enlightening and frustrating. Some got snoozed. Some got deleted. It made my feed an enjoyable place to be again.

I too play facebook games, so I won't walk away completely. I have hid a huge chunk of my friends. I love them, but they are getting too mean. My facebook is pics of my kids, Baby Yoda, and random memes making fun of how short I am.

I still use FB all the time. I really don't post actual comments anymore and primarily use it for checking-in to places (love it for memories) and for keeping up with people. I've unfollowed a few people who constantly posted about drama..drama that they almost exclusively created on their own.

I do not however unfollow or unfriend people simply because their political affiliation is not the same as mine. I have unfollowed people who posted all the time extremist viewpoints but it was more the frequency of it. If it's just a post here and there my news feed isn't being clogged up by that and I can just scroll on past. I'm more about my news feed being clogged up because it means I miss out on other people.

I don't silence people whose viewpoints don't match with mine just on the basis of that.

I walked away from my personal account. I have one that I use for research (travel etc) and now with Covid to get local information. I have no friends on this account and it is under a false name.

Isn't this social media?

I covered that in the first post. Message boards are quite different, in that you can contain a thread in itself, it's somewhat anonymous, etc. Facebook activists post their stuff in the stream along with pictures of puppies and plates of food (not to confuse the 2). No arguments are ever won on facebook, but plenty are started. It's just annoying. People are literally being doxxed on Facebook for voicing opinions, even threatened and attacked. A friend of mine got death threats!

I have FB. I visit it in the morning and sometimes in the evening. I like to keep up with family and friends' lives. I post photos, and sometimes share funny memes or whatever. But, that's about it.

I still use FB all the time. I really don't post actual comments anymore and primarily use it for checking-in to places (love it for memories) and for keeping up with people. I've unfollowed a few people who constantly posted about drama..drama that they almost exclusively created on their own.

I do not however unfollow or unfriend people simply because their political affiliation is not the same as mine. I have unfollowed people who posted all the time extremist viewpoints but it was more the frequency of it. If it's just a post here and there my news feed isn't being clogged up by that and I can just scroll on past. I'm more about my news feed being clogged up because it means I miss out on other people.

I don't silence people whose viewpoints don't match with mine just on the basis of that.
I finally quit Facebook. I’m perfectly fine with having family/friends that have a different political party but when they attack your character, intelligence etc. nope. There are family members I no longer speak to because I asked them nicely a few times to consider other peoples(mine) feelings. Didn’t get the hint. So I deactivated Facebook and deactivated some family members and haven’t looked back. I’m in a much better place now. I don’t think I will ever get back on again.

Depends on what you consider "social media". I've never signed up for any of the general social media sites even as far back as when MySpace was king. I'll check out Twitter or Facebook posts that are public, but that's about it. I simply don't participate on those platforms. Message boards like this aren't really a comparison.

I like seeing my memories

I finally quit Facebook. I’m perfectly fine with having family/friends that have a different political party but when they attack your character, intelligence etc. nope. There are family members I no longer speak to because I asked them nicely a few times to consider other peoples(mine) feelings. Didn’t get the hint. So I deactivated Facebook and deactivated some family members and haven’t looked back. I’m in a much better place now. I don’t think I will ever get back on again.
Ahh yeah I do not engage in stuff on FB, my husband does at times, I do not. There are times that I don't mind in person discussions but I've learned over time some just are in it for discussions so I tend to not bring it up with those select few who are like that. But I won't tell you to be quiet just because I don't agree with your viewpoint or that you have a different political affiliation than me that's more of what I was saying. Oh sometimes in person people say stuff. I've gotten on my mom before, my husband gets on his mom when they blanket generalize based only on political affiliation but we don't get in knock down battles over it.

I can understand if they are attacking you personally rather than something like "people who are.... are..."

One of my husband's relatives (who lives states away) is an anti-vaxxer (the only one I personally know though) and my husband made a comment one time on her FB, not even a bad one, not even a mean one, just providing an article of scientific research regarding a topic I can't remember at the moment. She promptly unfriended him and unfriended me I guess me by association despite the fact that I've never commented to her on FB, never spoke about vaccines and had only met her a few times (never having a tiff either). I just wouldn't do that.

At the end of the day if you're in a much better place you made the right decision :)

I backed up my photos and videos from FB and completely deleted it instead of just deactivating. It takes 30 days.

I then created a brand new account with no friends. I only use it to follow news and businesses. I did it this way in hopes of limiting the who you know and popping up in contact lists etc. I turned off all syncing, etc.

I was getting depressed seeing people I thought I respected have such extreme political views. I would rather live in my little bubble then to see the horrible things they post.

So now I just Dis for interaction lol

Like some others here, I use Facebook to keep up with far flung family and a few friends. I had a friend who kept posting maskless group photos, I just hid all her posts. Very few of my family are political, and the ones who are I agree with!

My account is completely private and you cannot find me by searching. My sister complained once that she is not able to share any of my posts, but I like it that way.

No Instagram, no twitter, and I would NEVER get news or follow any businesses on twitter or Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter