Who here has walked away from social media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I backed up my photos and videos from FB and completely deleted it instead of just deactivating. It takes 30 days.

I then created a brand new account with no friends. I only use it to follow news and businesses. I did it this way in hopes of limiting the who you know and popping up in contact lists etc. I turned off all syncing, etc.

I was getting depressed seeing people I thought I respected have such extreme political views. I would rather live in my little bubble then to see the horrible things they post.

So now I just Dis for interaction lol

I created a separate account with no family or friends too. I love being able to look at pages I am interested in without having to scroll through the minutiae of others' daily life. I know I can unfollow people but UGH. Why do some post like 40 pictures a day and recount every. single. thing. that happens to them like they are some kind of celebrity? I don't want to get rid of it entirely as I do enjoy seeing updates and staying in touch with people. I just wish some would make it down a notch because I don't want to unfollow them, but I also don't want to see your dinner, new sink, kid's report card, a video tour of your home etc etc etc constantly when I scroll. I've never been on Twitter or Insta, snap whatever. I do enjoy reading comments at the end of news articles to see what people are saying and learn/understand different views.

Never had FB and wouldn't even consider it. I'm on the DIS and one other specialty forum. And sometimes I don't look at either for days at a time.

A previous poster mentioned the Social Dilemma on Netflix. I highly suggest you watch it especially if you have kids who are on social media. It was pretty eye opening. My kids who are not really kids anymore (23,22, almost 20 and almost 18) are all on social media all the time now because really what else if there for them to do. They can't hang with their friends, no bars for the legal ones and sports have been cancelled for them.

Not on FB, or IG... or whatever other initials are out there...

I hang out on here, and that's about it... Love Disney and the Dis family here! I am thinking about joining a caregivers forum...

One of the main reasons I don't, have FB or IG... It really just doesn't appeal to me... As well to many people put to much personal stuff out there, and depending on what type of mood people are in, depends on how they read it...

People get really brave sitting behind the screen, and get down right nasty and rude... Some lose their mind... That stuff is out there forever, and it's not forgiving. So the way you were thinking or feeling at the time doesn't come into play, you said it... its out there... there's no taking it back... As well you can't control how the tone of the words comes across, its left up to the reader to decided how you meant it. Words you say now, can come back later to haunt you... can be twisted and taken out of context... No Thank you...

If I want to share pictures with my friends or share what's happening... then I send a email or pick up the phone and talk to them... WoW what a cool idea, actually talking to my friends... Who knew... !

DH and I a few years ago, downsized our friendship footprint... and our motto is "Drama Free is the Life for Me"!!! It got to be to much to keep up with who wasn't talking to who, and all the petty crap and all this and that and keeping up with everyone... you know trying to one up your friend, ... What started all this is several years ago we went on our yearly trip with "the group" and it just wasn't fun, everyone was in drama mode and we were suppose to be relaxing and catching up. Not so much... Three of the women got into a argument over something that was said over FB, and things just escalated from there, and since I don't have a FB we had no idea what was going on... DH said come on we are not going to do this and I'm not wasting vacation time on this non-sense, So we got in the car and headed into town, had lunch, did some sightseeing and shopping, and a really nice dinner, then went back it was pretty late when we got back... No-one was up. The next morning things weren't any better... So DH and I packed up, and told them we had to head home early...once in the car we decided to go in a different direction, so we headed over to Maggie Valley, and Cherokee and finished out the week there in a hotel, we had a really relaxing and fun time for the rest of the week... I got the cold shoulder from some of women in the group, and I just thought now wait a second,...then I realized ... I really could careless... So that when we started weeding the friendship garden... I am still friends with 2 of the women, and we do get together for lunch/shopping and dinner dates with the guys. For me I prefer and enjoy this so much more.

Peace Love and Pixie Dust...

I'm on Facebook just to view pictures and keep engaged with some rescue groups. I've hidden a lot of posts from those that have become conspiracy pushers. I didn't unfriend them, but I don't like seeing lies shoved in my face all the time and I didn't want to have these bad feelings toward these people.

I love Facebook. Like others have already mentioned, I am quick to hide people who are negative or hateful, but I love following old friends and seeing what they are up to, what their kids are accomplishing and even what they had for dinner last night.

There isn’t enough positivity in the world for my taste so I fill my FB feed with it and just love spending time on there.

I have Twitter but only follow celebrities. I don’t have an Instagram account.

Make no mistake, the regular media is no better. Don't believe me? Just try ignoring it for a week; no newspapers, no radio or TV news. It almost can't be done, but if you do, you will notice a decided change in your own well being. It almost can't be helped; if all news was rosy and cheerful nobody would watch. Horrifying and maddening? Yes, that draws viewers - including you. Sorry.

I don't think I've ever communicated through any friends/relatives through any kind of social media. They have my cell phone number and can always send me a text message.

This started a whole crap show with my SO and some of his family. He doesn’t have FB and apparently that’s where they send all invites and events so we were being left out of things or being told really late. So Then they decided to use another app for group messages (you can text, do invites, share pics and links, vote on things) and invites since some people didn’t have or rarely used FB. Well that’s a whole new piece of social media IMO which he keeps the alerts off and he doesn’t open the app often to check messages. They started getting upset that he wasn’t replying to invitations or messages, etc. He told them “well you have my phone number. Call me or text me if it’s important and you see I don’t respond” You would’ve thought he asked them to go 50 miles via horse and buggy to relay the message in person. It was ridiculous.

I help run my church's facebook, instagram, and twitter, so I kinda need to be on it. But I shouldn't spend as much time as I do on my personal accounts.

I have no reason to be on Parler.

I do facebook. It is only family and a friends. I eliminated people that I do not talk to. I come from a large family and it is a great way to keep connected with my cousins.

FB has me not liking some family I used to, which is really sad. I guess I never really knew them. I also see mass manipulation by others I know well. Think the bad outweighs the good and try to do little of it. We also cut the cord with our cable and I do no cable news anymore.

I am on facebook, but don't know for how long. I am divided in whether to quit it or not.

I live far away from my friends who have been close friends since childhood. We all still keep in touch and even make trips to see each other. We had a big girls sleepover one year which was a blast. I am the only one who lives far away. So FB is one way to keep up with them and their lives. Someone posts almost every day and I look forward to that. I know that I could pick the phone and call (I have done that before), or email, but FB is so convient to keep in touch with distant family and friends.

The dilema falls into the "big brother" category.
If a friends sends me something that FB doesn't like, I can't share it with my other friends if I want. They delete the "share" button so that's impossible. If someone writes what they dont' like, they post disclaimers and the "truth" according to them. It irritates me to no end. I don't like FB monitoring what everyone says, and if they don't agree, they delete the share button or write disclaimers. It seems like you can't have a conversation with friends without their monitoring. It has been happening alot lately. If you think like them, I guess all is well. But not all of us do.

That is my dilema. I would miss daily communication with my distant friends and family. It's so easy with FB.
But I don't like their not allowing me to share a post and their big brother attitude if you don't agree with them.
So, I still don't know what to do.
I would like to leave FB.
So, what is Parler? Is it another fb type site? I wish there was a site for friends to meet without all the political interferece from FB. Thanks for listening to me rant on..................

I am on facebook, but don't know for how long. I am divided in whether to quit it or not.

I live far away from my friends who have been close friends since childhood. We all still keep in touch and even make trips to see each other. We had a big girls sleepover one year which was a blast. I am the only one who lives far away. So FB is one way to keep up with them and their lives. Someone posts almost every day and I look forward to that. I know that I could pick the phone and call (I have done that before), or email, but FB is so convient to keep in touch with distant family and friends.

The dilema falls into the "big brother" category.
If a friends sends me something that FB doesn't like, I can't share it with my other friends if I want. They delete the "share" button so that's impossible. If someone writes what they dont' like, they post disclaimers and the "truth" according to them. It irritates me to no end. I don't like FB monitoring what everyone says, and if they don't agree, they delete the share button or write disclaimers. It seems like you can't have a conversation with friends without their monitoring. It has been happening alot lately. If you think like them, I guess all is well. But not all of us do.

That is my dilema. I would miss daily communication with my distant friends and family. It's so easy with FB.
But I don't like their not allowing me to share a post and their big brother attitude if you don't agree with them.
So, I still don't know what to do.
I would like to leave FB, but I dont want to miss daily communication with friends.
So, what is Parler? Is it another fb type site? I wish there was a site for friends to meet without all the political interferece from FB. Thanks for listening to me rant on..................

SM has also led to the near total demise of Christmas cards. I used to send out over 100 every year and would trim and add as I got them from other people (or not). Now I am down to about 45 and I got back maybe 20. I won't trim though; if you got a card from me it's because I want to keep in touch - no strings attached. A lot of people stopped sending them when they joined FB because they were "keeping in touch" that way. Yeah, but it's not the same thing - it doesn't take effort and there's not much thought behind it. For the love of God can someone please explain why anyone would post pictures of food? (for example)

constant food photos
photos of your workouts
photos of your weight loss
Photos of things you killed while hunting
trying to sell us stuff
political posts
covid posts
political covid posts
and so on.

We are very much in the "post photos of the kids so family can stay in touch." I'm also not a dump every photo from the trip type of guy, we just post some representative photos. It is nice to have those reminders from years past, I admit. Hearing sweet voices from when the kids were younger is priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter