Who here has walked away from social media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me. Well Facebook. I don’t have Twitter or Parler. FB used to be fun and a good way to keep up with or catch up with old friends. However, this election cycle just got plain nasty and after blocking and unfollowing quite a few people, I just said the hell with it and deactivated my account. Haven’t missed it at all.

What strategy have you taken, if you made this move?

I never joined in the first place, but DH had an account that he deleted. He just couldn't take the drama anymore. I don't think he really misses it.

The DIS is my main form of social media, and use Pinterest quite a bit as well (mostly for teaching materials.)

I do have an Instagram account (because DS once needed to make one for a school assignment, and made one for me too.) I post a few artsy nature photos once in a while, but not "life stuff". I follow some cute things that make me smile, and a couple of people I know who live far away.

I don't have Twitter, Reddit, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Snap Chat, or any of a host of others that are probably out there without my knowing they even exist.

I don't feel deprived.

...knowing people who became consumed with it to Gollumesque proportions.

I vote that you win this thread just for the word "Gollumesque"! :goodvibes

"If you don't know what is being sold, it is probably you".

So true! I'll put that on my "to watch" list.

However, you don't need to be an active participant in order to see those. Public agencies generally broadcast to anyone, where there's no need to have a Facebook account to see their posts.
My wife isn't on Facebook and complains she can't get to Facebook pages.

That happens to me sometimes - not necessarily with government sites, but definitely with some businesses. It's annoying, but so far not annoying enough for me to make an account.

"Drama Free is the Life for Me"!!!

Great line!

I love FB to keep up with distant friends and family, but I think I am done. I am not interested in moving over to Parler or anything, I think I'm just done.
Maybe I just delete everyone except the closest friends and family, and eliminate "acquaintances?"

What strategy have you taken, if you made this move?

**I'm still good with twitter for getting news, and I like message boards like this for general stuff. I just don't need to know every detail of people's lives and especially their political info right now. I think we'd all be better off without it.
I temporarily block any acquaintance who gets political on Facebook. I only have an account to have some way to keep in touch with far away (in terms of location and/or time) acquaintances in my life. For the most part, I rarely read it and almost never post anything. I was most active on Facebook when preparing for a Disney cruise and in a fish extender group, but there is no Disney cruising now & for who knows how long, so that's basically a memory. I used to post our vacation photos there periodically, but I haven't done that since Covid because some of my acquaintances would probably condemn and/or unfriend me for traveling now.

It's a dark time that we're living in.

Last edited:
A month or 2 ago, I deleted my Twitter and Instagram accounts. And this past week, I'm on a total Facebook vacation until later this month. The peace and quiet has been really nice. I've pared down my contacts list on Facebook over the last year.

Make no mistake, the regular media is no better. Don't believe me? Just try ignoring it for a week; no newspapers, no radio or TV news. It almost can't be done, but if you do, you will notice a decided change in your own well being. It almost can't be helped; if all news was rosy and cheerful nobody would watch. Horrifying and maddening? Yes, that draws viewers - including you. Sorry.
I don't have TV. I have not seen any of the MSM in 5 years other than what is discussed in forums. Youtube and my specifically subscribed content is what I watch on my TV and in the row below my recommended is the news feed, only one sided, and constant negativity. I hate that I have to see the thumbnail in view on my TV, wish I could change the order and get "news" off the screen. I don't ever listen to the radio, haven't seen a newspaper except for passing through the breakroom at work for 20 years, haven't even seen local news on TV in 5 years.

I took the bullet and just downloaded Parler. The news feed is VERY Conservative! Be warned. What is nice is your personal news feed and the media news feed are on separate tabs. My initial impression.
Being silenced on main stream social media is where Parler came from, so yes it is going to be conservative.

I stay on FB because of the groups for all my interests from kayaking, motorcycles, bicycles, camping, grilling, smoking, bushcraft, airplanes, etc. Same as my Youtube channels I subscribe to and watch on tv. I laugh at the funny memes people post, ignore my over-the-top close friends who don't check for legitimacy before posting. Example just yesterday someone posted a photo of cars covered in ice with the headline of ice storm in Sweden in 2021. I had to reply with the same picture from 2011 when they were using it for the headline of an ice storm in Chicago.

I've never been on the others. I think I do have an Instagram account as it allowed me to upload photos which was tied into a gps app for my bicycle that did a neat video showing my bike touring. I only used it a handful of times.

I don't even understand Twitter. I can't read comments on anything as I have no idea how to get to them. I see something, then see comments below that has nothing to do with the original post, it's all confusing. What drives me crazy is news reporting with online sites of news sites is now just copy and pasting Twitter and I don't understand any of it.

I love Twitter and Facebook; it's the only way I keep up with friends and groups during isolation. I have unfriended folks who spout endless conspiracy theories.

I limit social media to the Dis and next door. I can get everything I need in these two spots. I started a facebook account years ago because the people organizing a high school reunion set up a facebook group for planning purposes. I was amazed at how people in general use Facebook to document every aspect and detail of their lives. I can’t figure out how they have time to post all that stuff. I realized it was not for me. The people I want to send photos to get them by text.

Facebook was so fun in the beginning when you were able to connect with friends from your childhood, etc.. Instagram was fun when it was simply pictures people posted. Now they both stink. They have turned into political podiums for people to rant and belittle others if they don’t agree with someone’s view point. Can’t stand them anymore.

Legitimate question.
Maybe, if you're looking for a way to justify people storming the Capitol with threats of violence on our legislature & trying to overthrow the election. The looting, riots & armed protests of mask mandates & stay at home orders in 2020 all stand on their own . None of them should be used in an attempt to justify the disgusting behavior of the others. They all exhibit the worst of Americans & should be viewed as such rather than explained away with whataboutism. Attempting to deflect from one incident, by using another, is the same as supporting it. IMO, good people don't support any of it. All that said, none of the incidents in 2020 are comparable to what happened on the 6th.

Maybe, if you're looking for a way to justify people storming the Capitol with threats of violence on our legislature & trying to overthrow the election. The looting, riots & armed protests of mask mandates & stay at home orders in 2020 all stand on their own . None of them should be used in an attempt to justify the disgusting behavior of the others. They all exhibit the worst of Americans & should be viewed as such rather than explained away with whataboutism. Attempting to deflect from one incident, by using another, is the same as supporting it. IMO, good people don't support any of it. All that said, none of the incidents in 2020 are comparable to what happened on the 6th.

Absolutely NOT justifying that despicable behavior. Just as I am NOT justifying the despicable behavior of those who burned down Minneapolis and caused hundreds of small businesses to close and cost taxpayers over 500 million dollars and rising. That was just one city. It is ALL despicable behavior. And if any American thinks otherwise we have bigger problems than we can even imagine. It is all so sad and we all need to do and be better. We are far better united than divided.

I deactivated my Facebook probably back in May. I have to keep one account for work purposes to manage a page, so it’s private and I just use it follow brands/groups that I like and am only friends with my husband. Truthfully I barely get on. Insta I only follow brands/people that I love and removed the rest. It has been an absolute game changer for me. My time is spent where I’m happy—here and Reddit usually. People text me more now if they need anything and the communication is more meaningful. I would not hesitate to recommend this strategy to anyone. Your time and peace of mind is precious. Fill it with things that bring you joy!

I cannot remember the last time I posted a Facebook update, I mostly just glance it at it every now and then to see what is going on in peoples' lives, but I never seem to participate anymore.

I love FB! I only have about 150 friends and family.
I belong to several groups including one ladies group that have been friends for 20 years, there are about 60 of us so no I’m not texting them all lol!
Great way to keep up with my American cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter