Who here has walked away from social media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I follow a lot of fitness accounts on IG. It’s motivational and informative for me. I guess that’s why I like IG. You can streamline what you follow. Travel pages, Disney pages, food pages (I’ve gotten great recipes), if you want to follow political posts you can do that, etc.

I'm very close to giving up a lot of social media including here. It's mainly due to Covid and the actions of many people. If I didn't use Facebook as a way to talk to some of my family I would drop it as lately there is far to many conspiracy theorists on there now. I don't use much else other then instagram and I don't post there much. As far as here goes seeing Disney and Universal keep pushing the limits on social distancing and Covid measures angers me. What's worse is how many here are ok with it.

I've had facebook since the days when you were required to have a college e-mail, and you college actually had to support facebook. For the past 7ish years, I've only logged on 1-3 times per year, and only for 5-10 min per time. I hate what it has become.

I have a small number of family members who ONLY communicate via facebook, therefore I'll likely always have it.

However, my wife has her face buried in facebook all day long, and it drives me crazy. She's always complaining about someone who's spouting off a bunch of lies or someone who's trying to start a fight with her.

I truly wish it would just vanish

SM has also led to the near total demise of Christmas cards. I used to send out over 100 every year and would trim and add as I got them from other people (or not). Now I am down to about 45 and I got back maybe 20. I won't trim though; if you got a card from me it's because I want to keep in touch - no strings attached. A lot of people stopped sending them when they joined FB because they were "keeping in touch" that way. Yeah, but it's not the same thing - it doesn't take effort and there's not much thought behind it.
This is just the evolution of things.

I'm sure people had the same exact complaints you have above when the telephone came around and mailing lengthy handwritten letters slowed down, then when the cell phone came around once unlimited texting became a thing it was why won't you call me. Even when people do do Christmas cards people complain you didn't hand write it you went through Shutterfly or just printed them out (which my aunt did way back like 20 years ago before FB was around), you didn't write a personalized message it in just signed it, etc.

I haven't tried or even looked at Parler, but I do believe it's a version of facebook without all the big brother stuff. It's like duckduckgo to google.
I took the bullet and just downloaded Parler. The news feed is VERY Conservative! Be warned. What is nice is your personal news feed and the media news feed are on separate tabs. My initial impression.

This is just the evolution of things.

I'm sure people had the same exact complaints you have above when the telephone came around and mailing lengthy handwritten letters slowed down, then when the cell phone came around once unlimited texting became a thing it was why won't you call me. Even when people do do Christmas cards people complain you didn't hand write it you went through Shutterfly or just printed them out (which my aunt did way back like 20 years ago before FB was around), you didn't write a personalized message it in just signed it, etc.
OK - fair, maybe not right to put all the blame on SM. I will say that people in general are inundated with people contacting them from all sides. The result is a near complete shut-down - people just ignore it all. Example; I coach my daughter's soccer team. I would text, set up FB groups, call and leave messages - you name it, I tried it. Parents just would not respond. I finally resorted to holding their kids on my sidelines after the games until I talked to their parents. Crazy it had to come to that.

Last edited:
About 6 months ago, I made the decision to unfollow every single person on FB other than my sister. I see not a single thing people post (unless I choose to go to their page). My anxiety levels immediately went down significantly.

I keep FB because I use it for work (admin groups and pages), am in a couple groups with friends, and use it for buy/sell/trade. Those are the only things that show up in my newsfeed.

I share personal stuff almost exclusively on Instagram.

I have taken breaks from FB here and there. Once for a year. I do miss some family and friends/updates/events, etc. especially the ones that are out of state or overseas.

I do enjoy my groups and follow the Italian show/soap opera dh and I watch. I tried to create a new FB page but it would not let me. Not long after, I was banned from IG account. No clue why. I had maybe 40 people and only posted pictures of food, kids, vacation.

I now hide some people. I look at their wall once in a while. I don't want to see all the political stuff mostly - I can see that on the news. I want to get away from it.

Now I look at it every other day or so and I am on it for minutes.

It has it's pros and cons like everything else in life. I find it has been more negative than positive lately.

I haven't walked away from social media, but I've definitely walked away from some people on social media.

You walked away from here over 4 years ago........but glad for whatever reason (s) you came back, Slo . :goodvibes:

Of course I kind of feel like this place is the Dinosaur of Social Media.......but hey Pete, Alex, Doc, Kathy, MaryJo and many many other people who do a great job making this place what it is........you guys don't look a day over 1999. :love:

Last edited:
You walked away from here over 4 years ago........but glad for whatever reason (s) you came back, Slo . :goodvibes:

Of course I kind of feel like this place is the Dinosaur of Social Media.......but hey Pete, Alex, Kathy and many many other people who do a great job making this place what it is........you guys don't look a day over 1999. :love:

Thanks Kitty34 - I’m glad to be back 🥰

FB but only close family & friends. The only other thing is my town's FB page. It has been a great help for info & tradesmen recommendations. Best thing is no politics allowed on it:worship::worship:

I love FB to keep up with distant friends and family, but I think I am done. I am not interested in moving over to Parler or anything, I think I'm just done.
Maybe I just delete everyone except the closest friends and family, and eliminate "acquaintances?"

What strategy have you taken, if you made this move?

**I'm still good with twitter for getting news, and I like message boards like this for general stuff. I just don't need to know every detail of people's lives and especially their political info right now. I think we'd all be better off without it.
I quit Instagram months ago...... I just can't stand it. I prefer FB,where I can tailor my content to family,and a few groups that I'm interested in (like crafts,etc) I read here on the Dis,that's about it.

I’m not a fan of social media in general. I feel much better/healthier/happier when I don’t spend time on the couple sites I do look at from time to time.

I left FB. But the last time I posted this I was reminded that this is social media. I couldn't take the politics anymore. I just deactivated my account. No regrets I do like instagram for the pictures and the puppies

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter