Who here has walked away from social media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My God, I loathe this whole "Whataboutsim" garbage.

It basically is the answer: "Yeah! I do it, too But don't call me out on it!"

Such a strange deflection. Such a weird trendy word.
Why blame the word? Blame the people who constantly deflect from events making the word applicable. If people would let every event stand on it's own, there would be no need for the word. One inexcusable event will never justify another. People who don't condone any of the repulsive behavior don't usually deflect from the discussion of one of those events, by bringing up another. Those who do usually have an obvious agenda, whether they will admit it or not.

Why blame the word? Blame the people who constantly deflect

I do blame the people that deflect. People that deflect with "whataboutism" when called out on their own actions.

Believe it or not, you and I share the same views on many things.

My issue is, when people think it is ok to do what the "bad people" do. And when called out, they don't offer a defense. Because there isn't one.

Instead, they take the easy way out and cry "WHATABOUTISM":sad2:

The word is: Generic. Weird. Lazy. Trendy. Unoriginal.

I do blame the people that deflect. People that deflect with "whataboutism" when called out on their own actions.

Believe it or not, you and I share the same views on many things.

My issue is, when people think it is ok to do what the "bad people" do. And when called out, they don't offer a defense. Because there isn't one.

Instead, they take the easy way out and cry "WHATABOUTISM":sad2:

The word is: Generic. Weird. Lazy. Trendy. Unoriginal.
We're posting on a message board where we are limited in what we can discuss. Whataboutism is a generic word that gets the point across, without crossing a line we're not allowed to cross. For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of all things trendy either, but I'm more disgusted that there's a reason the word has become so trendy in recent years. Deflect, deflect, deflect has become the name of the game.

Why bring up the other event at all, if it's not to deflect from what was actually being discussed in the post you replied to? Your post came across as you saying, "If they can use the site to organize looting, the other group should be able to use the site to organize insurrection". I don't support either group having access to a site that allows organization of unlawful events. Like I said in my post above, I don't think good people are okay with the looting & rioting any more than I think good people are okay with armed protests of any kind. I definitely don't think they're okay with what happened on the 6th. As for your last two sentences, I totally agree with you,. Unfortunately, the constant whataboutism can do nothing but divide us further. We need to start speaking up against all of these events not bring up another event to deflect from the current one.

Well, some high level people call the burning of federal buildings and police cars a "myth". I think some people are tired of the double standard going on lately. I do not blame the tens of thousands for the sins of the 100 that committed the criminal act in the capitol same a I don't blame the entire police force for the sins of a few. I must be out of the loop as I've never heard the word whataboutism

Well, some high level people call the burning of federal buildings and police cars a "myth". I think some people are tired of the double standard going on lately. I do not blame the tens of thousands for the sins of the 100 that committed the criminal act in the capitol same a I don't blame the entire police force for the sins of a few. I must be out of the loop as I've never heard the word whataboutism
I would need to know what you're referring to in your first sentence to reply to that. I'm open to looking into it, if you want to provide more info. As far as a double standard in general, I don't see it. I see heavily biased "news" sources saying there is a double standard & some people believing everything they say. That doesn't mean it's accurate. People I know personally condemn all of the abhorrent behavior in the riots, looting, armed protests & insurrection. We all tend to only trust local news sources. I have no problem with peaceful protesting. I have a problem with protests where there are weapons involved, laws are broken & people are put in danger. I don't really care who is doing the protesting.

Edited to delete sentences that may be against the rules here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter