Who lets their kids sing loudly on an airplane

My son does pretty good now but when he was shorter it seems like hit feet would always be bumping into the seat in front of him. We would always try to put him behind another child. Everytime he would move around I'm sure the seat in front of him thought he was kicking the seat.
I was lucky enough to have a kid sit right behind me on my most recent trip. >:( Before we took off, the kid kept kicking my seat. I decided to wait and see how it plays out. Once we took off, the mom was very smart and removed the boys shoes. She also kept him quiet with coloring activities etc ....then eventually, after an hour, he passed out. I didnt hear a peep from him after that. (maybe she slipped him something to help him sleep? Lol). Anyway, I wish all parents were as smart as her. :teeth:

If she's a close enough friend, you might try talking to her about the long term problems she will face if she doesn't deal with this now. You can't suddenly expect a 16 year old to listen to you if they grew up doing whatever they wanted to do because their parents didn't want to discipline or correct them for fear of hurting their feelings.
I did b/c she is & I am child therapist also so thought she might take the advice smoother than if it were just me giving parent-to-parent advice. Her response was “it’s different when it’s your own”. So I thought ok, see how that works out for you. That’s exactly what I told DH about ppl with 16 yr olds who are out or control. It starts now.

I'm sorry you were on the same flight as my sister-in-law. Were her children also throwing things?

Oh, wait. Those children are now grown.

I'm sorry you were on the same flight as SIL's middle daughter and her children. Were they also cussing and throwing things? You know, because all 5 and 7 year-olds should be able to say whatever they want.

I would lose my ish. Wow. Thats not ok. So sorry OP!

:lmao: Oh my goodness. What a nightmare!

:lmao: :rotfl: Love this, thank you.

:lmao: Wow!!! Good luck to that woman! She sure has an interesting road ahead of her. :scared: im amazed at how stupid some parents are.
I know. I even told her I don’t feel bad b/c it’s my job & what is best for them in the long run.

No one is condemning a whole generation of parents here. In my earlier post, I did refer to parents "these days" being less in control of the children. I did go on to say that it is a far bigger problem then it ever used to be. While I don't fly often anymore, I do go places (shopping, restaurants, shows, etc) and it is not a rare occurrence where there is a child acting up and the parent does NOTHING. It's just about expected anymore that I will be somewhere with a child misbehaving (as they do) with a parent just totally ignoring it. Of course, I do live on the East Coast, so that problem explains it right there!:)

Reactions: Iya
I know. I even told her I don’t feel bad b/c it’s my job & what is best for them in the long run.
You did all you could. In the end, you cant cure stupid sometimes. She will learn the hard way that never telling the kid NO is ultimately pretty stupid and will do more harm than good to the child in the future.

Where is the OP????
Did they make any effort to address the situation?

And, all of the sudden, are flight attendants not allowed to address disruptive passengers....
They seem to be kicking everyone off flights.
Or, does this exclude, only, entitled young children?

PS: some kind of earplugs or ear protection or headphones can be a godsend.
Could also help address that situation in the recent thread with the 'chatty' passenger in the next seat.

Flying sucks!

I feel like some parents are clueless. I think the parent was probably so happy her children were not melting down that they let them sing. Also I think parents think their kids are cute so everyone should think they are cute too. Almost like everyone sitting around them is so lucky to be treated to her adorable kids singing. This is why we have an entire generation of entitled adults. No boundaries, no consequences, no common sense.

Can I say that "parents these days" just suck?

Since the age of time there have always been parents who suck. I just think kids are out and about more than ever before. Things also are not considered special and therefore worthy of a child's best behavior.

Children need to be taught to be caring and respectful of others.

I was pleasantly surprised that on my Southwest flight two months ago they made an announcement over the loud speaker that anyone listening to music or watching videos on their devices HAD to have earphones in. That was quite welcome.

That's why I generally love SW. They don't mess around!

Sounds like a great time for an adult sing-a-long to drown them out. Does everybody know the words to Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up?" Or maybe some Sir Mix-A-Lot? Can we re-create Soul Train on this plane?

Seriously, singing or shouting is only appropriate during turbulence. If the plane is doing barrel rolls, it's okay to burst out in song, I think, even if it's a religious hymn :)

Sounds like a great time for an adult sing-a-long to drown them out. Does everybody know the words to Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up?" Or maybe some Sir Mix-A-Lot? Can we re-create Soul Train on this plane?

Seriously, singing or shouting is only appropriate during turbulence. If the plane is doing barrel rolls, it's okay to burst out in song, I think, even if it's a religious hymn :)
OMG i was totally thinking the same thing! If I were fed up, i would probably start singing really loud myself. Why not right? Maybe the parents will get the hint. If not, the song baby got back by Sir Mix A Lot will do the trick. Or take it a step further and try the song "closer" by Nine in Nails. Check out the lyrics, particularly the "hook/main chorus". :lmao: Although I think that song might get the adult kicked off the plane. :teeth:

I would have gone directly to the kids in this situation:

"You are not the only people on this airplane and you don't sing as well as you think you do. Please stop."

The fact that this went on for TWO HOURS with no intervention means that these kids will continue doing stuff like this in the future, and the fact that no one called out the parents means they will continue allowing it. Public shame is a powerful thing and exactly what was needed here.

Order a few drinks and start singing German Drinking Songs...
Or even just Ninety Nine Bottles, just at the top of your voice!!!!
How about those religious hymns... "I will fly away!!!!!!"
OMG.

Glad to hear that about SW.

99 bottles of beer is what popped into my head. Loudly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter