• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why are crowds lower this summer?

I think that it's a combination of many factors. High prices, lack of decent new attractions while some older areas disintegrate, worries about economic factors and crime, the unrest in the US, the heat and even the alligator situation probably all add to lighter crowds. In our case we are lately less and less impressed with the offerings at WDW and don't care for the pricing either. We have gradually tapered off the time we spend there anyway so it isn't much of a change for us.

I expect that the economy of the countries - Canada, Great Britain and Brazil among others - will all have an impact on the crowds.

I think a lot of people, me included, are waiting for a lot of the new stuff to be completed. I think we will see much larger crowds in late 2017 and 2018.

A part of it perhaps is that WDW represents the embodiment of American culture. We visit WDW to celebrate our culture.

This hasn't been a good year for celebrating American culture on many fronts.

But I also agree with many posts.

If I lived in Europe I would be a lot more concerned with European issues and dangers and not thinking about "American gun culture". It's not like people aren't getting blown up and shot over there as well. In fact I would think Europe is just as dangerous if not more so than the US when it comes to travel right now.

So much depends on where we get our information.

We went first week of June, and it seemed more crowded and busier than the previous year at the same time.

We had fun, but by the end of the week, I was glad we were going home, and usually I'm sad.

We are taking a break from Disney next year.
I agree we were there the same time in June and I while I did find the crowds moderately busy, it still seemed busier than any of our trips ever. Almost looks to be less busy now in July :confused3

So much depends on where we get our information.

How very true. I am an American living in Europe. Honestly, I feel so much safer here. Ran into an American principal visiting our school here and who was shocked and saddened how she/ or anyone can enter school grounds her unlike her school I told her if I had an appt with a teacher I just go in and directly to the classroom. She told me kimdergarten kids in her district are drilled on what to do if an armed person comed in. That is messed up. I have heard from many over here the states is no longer safe for them. The gun violence and realization anyone can carry or own frightens many from overseas. back in the day ( I'm from chicago) we'd say "oh it's safe to visit just avoid certain south or westside areas". Now it seems the past few decades you get random shooters in malls, schools, movies, bars ( safe areas) and this is freaking some foreigners away. There are more shooting deaths from guns than terrorist attacks

How very true. I am an American living in Europe. Honestly, I feel so much safer here. Ran into an American principal visiting our school here and who was shocked and saddened how she/ or anyone can enter school grounds her unlike her school I told her if I had an appt with a teacher I just go in and directly to the classroom. She told me kimdergarten kids in her district are drilled on what to do if an armed person comed in. That is messed up. I have heard from many over here the states is no longer safe for them. The gun violence and realization anyone can carry or own frightens many from overseas. back in the day ( I'm from chicago) we'd say "oh it's safe to visit just avoid certain south or westside areas". Now it seems the past few decades you get random shooters in malls, schools, movies, bars ( safe areas) and this is freaking some foreigners away. There are more shooting deaths from guns than terrorist attacks

Just a political opinion.. Whether or not a person sees "the gun culture" as horrible and dangerous probably tells a lot about where they stand politically. The way I see it is that a criminal or terrorist will always find a gun.. Always. People who are bent on evil will do it, they will find a way.

I look at Europe and see a continent that has a huge terrorism problem. Actually lets correct that, the World has a huge terrorism problem.
America has always had a lot of guns... But it only seems recently many are so worried about it. Maybe it's because terrorism is on the rise and it's putting everyone on edge and you can be sitting in the U.S. Or sitting in Paris and you have to wonder if a guy will come into a public place with a gun or bomb and murder you.

Guns have been a problem here in The U.S. For a very long time.. But, not legal guns as much as criminals and guns. Look at Chicago.. It's like a war zone in certain areas but that has been going on for years and it's a disgrace. Nothing's been done... Nothing.

I'm just not one who thinks WDW is not as busy right now because of guns. I just don't.
Now if I were a cop right now I'd be scared but, the average tourist probably shouldn't worry too much. Gun violence has been going on here for decades. If you weren't scared two years ago you shouldn't be scared now.

In one sense though, this thread is a tiny bit reassuring. Recently there was a blog called, "What types of people hate the Disney Parks?"

I found it a bit offensive, because the gist was raising concerns about (recent) WDW policies = hating WDW.

I love WDW, but recent policy changes have diminished the experience of visiting a place I have loved for many years.

You don't stop loving a child because they misbehave or have a bad day. You admonish the behavior, teach the child to correct their behavior, and ideally, remind the child that you still love them.

I think many of us still love WDW, but we would like to see a few reforms at WDW. I've also long thought that I can't be the only one with these concerns.

Let us hope Disney listens to their guests.

they are more scared because EVERY week even in European news there are reports of another shooting in the States... 2 weeks ago it was the crazy Texas mom who shoots her kids for revenge against her husband. I was commenting more that it depends on how people get their news.. Now I cannot comment on facts if guns violence has increased or not, I do not have the FACTS. but it has nothing to do with political opinion.. European don't mix guns with politics. We can't as there is one status quo. guns and politics is an American thing.

All I can comment from the European side is that news outlets have been reporting the past few years, in my opinion, more and more gun violence in the states.. Do not want to turn this thread into a gun thread, but concerning crowds,, I do feel some people overseas are nervous about the number of shooting that seem to happening daily / weekly.. and this is NOT the inner city gang crime ( reported only as statistics overseas, but not a personal stories). I know from my large group of friends over here, the States is cool to visit and they do if they are single... but once they are families, they get more nervous about safety etc... and the past few years has seen a change, people are not planning family vacations in the states anymore. most are staying local ( own countries).

I myself am more paranoid about some crazy guy coming into Walmart shooting me than being shot at some Cafe in Europe.

One more comment from the european side,,, we are more price sensitive too...we have those expensive flights ON TOP of what many Americanns pay for Disney.
Dining is big factore,,this is why the UK packages usually all have the QS ( all inkl) offers... In europe most expect breakfasst to be included,, here it is not... so when Disney raises Dining, or reduces dining offers via packages, europeans are the most affected... Especially as their trips are usually longer, where food is a major expense..
a
my colleague is doing a trip end of July. I swear he was considering cancelleng when I gave him figures on what else to plan in the costs,, food , TIPS etc... he was like this is insane I am paying almost 3 grand and I have to budget another grand!?! In a nut shell, i think many europeans are slowly reaching their price point limit and are limiting their stays and or including other Florida destinations that are cheaper but also fun.

We were at Epcot every night from Tue June 21 to Fri June 24, and were surprised how light the crowds were. Maybe the heat that week kept the locals home. It was nice strolling the World Showcase with such little foot traffic to contend with. Even the Soarin regular wait line was less than 40 minutes.

If the lower crowds at WDW were caused by the economy, why is attendance steadily climbing at DLR?
WDW has a much higher proportion of international guests than DLR, and people are referring to international economic issues, particularly in relation to Brazil, Britain and Canada.

Last edited:
Many parts of the world are in economic crisis or recession. South America and many parts of Europe are experiencing economic challenges. As a Canadian I know many fellow Canadians who were planning to visit this spring or summer but decided to cancel their plan because the exchange on the Canadian dollar is so poor. A lot of these changes were not noticed last fall or earlier this year because people had already booked their trips and the economic issues were not as bad. But as time has passed and economies have worsened the consequences of these issues are being seen in lower crowds starting around now because 6 months ago there weren't as many people from other countries planning trips.
I'm sure this is only part of the picture but if this IS part of the issue then it is less of an issue of people moving their trips to fall/winter/value seasons but rather not planning to visit at all.
We are doing our part to help the Canadian economy--our summer vacation will be a Canadian one for the first time ever! I wonder if there are others like us: instead of Canadians heading south, Americans are heading north? :car:

I fail to see how the 180 ADR window (which debuted in 2009 btw) and FP+, the 2 things you list as not liking, are part of any "money grab". I get not liking either of those things, but neither of them have anything to do with Disney squeezing pennies from their guests.

I struggle too a bit with people that complain the Disney resorts are over-priced. For comparison, I'm going up to Mackinaw City soon for a couple of days. The hotels there are nothing fancy by any stretch. Very very basic. And for those, in the city, the absolute cheapest is $130 a night. For a motel I would be leery to stay in. We are talking very basic motels. Anything nicer and you would pay $200 a night. For a motel that can't hold a candle to a Disney value.

You are so right. As I mentioned above we are heading north to Canada, but decided to go through either Traverse City or Mackinaw for our first night away from home. Now I've been to Mackinac Island and I expect that to be pricey but I don't expect a Holiday Inn Express in Traverse City to be $450 a night. And in Mackinaw City, there are mom-pop motels I would not normally even look at going for $200 a night.

The end of our vacation will be in Niagara Falls and holy Maid of the Mist!! That place really is crazy expensive. I told my husband that hotels at Niagara make Disney look cheap. :crazy2:

I went to WDW not long after 9/11. It was very empty.

I don't think that had anything to do with people's political affiliation, but even if it did, I don't see why that would matter.

Lower crowds are lower crowds.

We are doing our part to help the Canadian economy--our summer vacation will be a Canadian one for the first time ever! I wonder if there are others like us: instead of Canadians heading south, Americans are heading north? :car:

You are so right. As I mentioned above we are heading north to Canada, but decided to go through either Traverse City or Mackinaw for our first night away from home. Now I've been to Mackinac Island and I expect that to be pricey but I don't expect a Holiday Inn Express in Traverse City to be $450 a night. And in Mackinaw City, there are mom-pop motels I would not normally even look at going for $200 a night.

The end of our vacation will be in Niagara Falls and holy Maid of the Mist!! That place really is crazy expensive. I told my husband that hotels at Niagara make Disney look cheap. :crazy2:

I love my Alberta summers. We have hardly any humidity.

Make no mistake about it. The shooting at Pulse--done by a licensed gun holder with a legally purchased semi-automatic weapon--has scared foreigners from visiting the U.S.

Just the fact the shooter was all legal is frightening. It scares the wits out of me, so I only can imagine how much it scares people who live in places where that weapon would never be legal.

Just a political opinion.. Whether or not a person sees "the gun culture" as horrible and dangerous probably tells a lot about where they stand politically. The way I see it is that a criminal or terrorist will always find a gun.. Always. People who are bent on evil will do it, they will find a way.

I look at Europe and see a continent that has a huge terrorism problem. Actually lets correct that, the World has a huge terrorism problem.
America has always had a lot of guns... But it only seems recently many are so worried about it. Maybe it's because terrorism is on the rise and it's putting everyone on edge and you can be sitting in the U.S. Or sitting in Paris and you have to wonder if a guy will come into a public place with a gun or bomb and murder you.

Guns have been a problem here in The U.S. For a very long time.. But, not legal guns as much as criminals and guns. Look at Chicago.. It's like a war zone in certain areas but that has been going on for years and it's a disgrace. Nothing's been done... Nothing.

I'm just not one who thinks WDW is not as busy right now because of guns. I just don't.
Now if I were a cop right now I'd be scared but, the average tourist probably shouldn't worry too much. Gun violence has been going on here for decades. If you weren't scared two years ago you shouldn't be scared now. Unless a tries).

I myself am more paranoid about some crazy guy coming into Walmart shooting me than being shot at some Cafe in Europe.

It's being publicized more these days but, trust me this has been an issue for years. Almost 20 years ago you had Columbine.

I get it. The 24 hour news cycle is really getting these things out. The lady in Texas is nothing new.. You don't think family members murdered each other years and years ago? It was how many years ago that Muslim man in TX shot both his daughters in that Honor Killing... these things happen, sadly its nothing new.
The lady in Texas was a beautiful white woman who shot both her beautiful daughters.. beautiful people dying always make the news. America has a lot of guns and always has. I stick with my stand that the only reason this is such a huge issue right now is because its being made that way by certain politicians to push an agenda and if a person leans a certain political way they will either buy right into it or reject it.

You are more afraid of a crazy at Walmart and I worry more about a organized terrorist attack. I still say how we look at things politically probably does influence our fears and concerns. The left says ISIS isn't an issue but the ability to get guns is the real issue.. The right says terrorism is a real problem and we should be focusing on that and not dramatic gun laws.

I say as a country we should be worried about Chicago, and not just dismissing it like so many do because it doesn't affect their nice little safe neighborhoods. It's a disgrace. And Chicago has been a war zone for years now. Why weren't people up in arms about that years ago? Oh.. Probably because Chicago has some of the toughest gun laws in the country so it goes against the narrative.

I don't think WDW is slower right now because of people not coming because they are scared of us "Crazy" Americans and our guns. I am not saying that no one has canceled their trip here because they have a fear of America's guns.. I am just saying I think it wouldnt make that big of a dent in the crowds.

I think the much more logical and obvious reasons are simple, price increases, and a global economy that is struggling. And the fact Disney is actively trying to shift the crowds to even them out through out the year. If September is busier than normal this entire thread is a moot point.
they are more scared because EVERY week even in European news there are reports of another shooting in the States... 2 weeks ago it was the crazy Texas mom who shoots her kids for revenge against her husband. I was commenting more that it depends on how people get their news.. Now I cannot comment on facts if guns violence has increased or not, I do not have the FACTS. but it has nothing to do with political opinion.. European don't mix guns with politics. We can't as there is one status quo. guns and politics is an American thing.

All I can comment from the European side is that news outlets have been reporting the past few years, in my opinion, more and more gun violence in the states.. Do not want to turn this thread into a gun thread, but concerning crowds,, I do feel some people overseas are nervous about the number of shooting that seem to happening daily / weekly.. and this is NOT the inner city gang crime ( reported only as statistics overseas, but not a personal stories). I know from my large group of friends over here, the States is cool to visit and they do if they are single... but once they are families, they get more nervous about safety etc... and the past few years has seen a change, people are not planning family vacations in the states anymore. most are staying local ( own countries).

I think it's a little bit of everything - world economics, Disney prices, and fears. My FL friends haven't been in a month because of the heat. People are definitely waiting for some of the new stuff to open up (I know of at least 2 families doing that just in my own neighborhood!) But mostly I think that, for whatever reason, crowds are far more spread out over the year then they used to be. People are far more willing to pull kids out of school for a Disney trip now then they used to - 10 years ago I can't remember a single one of my students taking off more than a day or two for Disney - now a week is standard practice. I asked at my daughter's school if it would be ok to pull her for a few days and they actually have "I'm going to Disney" pre-arranged absence forms. It happens THAT often. (and we're not close - we're in VA) I'm actually getting a little nervous about crowds when we go in January. I have a feeling the crowds will be much larger than what I'm hoping for. At least the weather will be nicer, right?

The media spent all spring hyping Zika, and when we planned our trip as we were trying to conceive, we, as teachers, opted for a quick long weekend around a Jewish holiday in late Sept/early October over our usual longer, summer trip so that we'd have more time to see what was going to happen with Zika in case I got pregnant, or we were still trying to conceive over the summer.

We can't be the only expecting family who didn't make travel plans to go somewhere close to the tropics this summer. I'm sure it's not a huge number but when you combine it with all the other factors people are mentioning, it's just one more to add to the list.
I wonder if travelers are scared of the Zika virus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter