• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why do some DVC members think they can get extra perks which are not offered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry about it, it was a fair question and likely more on the mark than you'll every know. Also as pointed out, jerks are jerks and I think things like DVC bring out that quality in some people.

I think they are a larger group than you think they are.

That's better I hope what you say is not true because then we are all in worse shape then!

How odd that you have never heard/seen non DVC members say/do the same. I doubt if everyone that has TRIED to butt in line in front of me was a dvc member. I doubt if everyone I've seen be rude to waiters and waitresses was a DVC member, I can go on all day but I think I've made my point. Ignorance has nothing to do with DVC membership, and IMO the op just wants to stir things up, seems we get a lot of that from DVC haters. Don't worry we can handle it... Also I wear my DVC member hat proudly!

I have NEVER seen a non DVC member physically threaten a CM over a room location. Until you can top that. (The jerk told the CM he was going to "Break his legs" if he didn't get the room he wanted and then attempted to LUNGE over the counter to grab the guy. The CM backed away, ALL of the rest of us stopped what we were doing and the JERK started cursing like a sailor. He finally left when the security guys and the local cops told him he could leave NOW or they would take him to jail!) This was BEYOND rude and takes the cake for rude behavior at Disney IMHO.

I have NEVER seen a non DVC member physically threaten a CM over a room location. Until you can top that. (The jerk told the CM he was going to "Break his legs" if he didn't get the room he wanted and then attempted to LUNGE over the counter to grab the guy. The CM backed away, ALL of the rest of us stopped what we were doing and the JERK started cursing like a sailor. He finally left when the security guys and the local cops told him he could leave NOW or they would take him to jail!) This was BEYOND rude and takes the cake for rude behavior at Disney IMHO.

So one incidence makes it true for all, I would certainly hope you truly do not feel that way. This was one idiot, to think that all DVC or even most DVC act that way is truly insulting.

I have seen it all at Disney. I have seen CMs spit on, I am seen them called idiots and worse. What I have not seen ever, is this type of behavior at any time at any DVC resort.

Does that make it not happen, well of course not. I am not that naive. But I also realize there is good in all groups and based on friends who work at Disney resorts, DVC are no worse than the general public and most times better.

So one incidence makes it true for all, I would certainly hope you truly do not feel that way. This was one idiot, to think that all DVC are even most DVC act that way is truly insulting.

I have seen it all at Disney. I have seen CMs spit on, I am seen them called idiots and worse. What I have not seen ever, is this type of behavior at any time at any DVC resort.

Does that make it not happen, well of course not. I am not that naive. But I also realize there is good in all groups and based on friends who work at Disney resorts, DVC are no worse than the general public and most times better.

ITA!:thumbsup2

It’s to bad Disney doesn’t know the meaning of “loyalty” or “long term commitment”. I went to the trouble of planning my family vacations for the next 40 years at a Disney location somewhere in the world. They know they can count on me to spend my hard earned $$ without them having to spend one dime of their advertising or marketing budget. Would it kill them to provide me as committed Disney vacationers for the next 40 years free park entrance, a dinner or something for my loyalty…….just my opinion

WOW, evidence that what the OP speaks of truly does exist!

I would never assume that DVC owes me anything other than the ability to use the points I purchased and pay maintenance fees on. I think it's a big bonus to have the AP discount and some of the other "little" perks like fee valet at some resorts, and ability to purchase the DDP. If you didn't read in your POS that it was included in your cost, don't expect it!

So it seems you are in agreement, that DVC members ARE the whiners, screamers and complainers at WDW?:confused3

I'm surprised you feel that way. I've seen subsets in every group I've dealt with that has this type of behavior. It doesn't seem to be DVC specific to me.

I've witnessed yelling and screaming during check ins at many resorts. Actually the worst tantrum I witnessed was at a Marriott Timeshare. Moral, it happens everywhere, CRO guests, DVC, Marriott, etc. It just happens. People spendng more than should or those with unrealistic expectations is likely the cause.

I'm also surprised you feel this way given your comments on renters and how they treat rooms. I belive it was you that stated renters aren't anymore likely to abuse a room than owners. You stated it is simply about the people and the values. Some abuse and some don't whether owners or not.

How can that logic apply there and not here?
Does it bother you so much that another member here happens to agree with me & does not follow everyone else in your thinking & because he did not flame me.

Does it bother you so much that another member here happens to agree with me & does not follow everyone else in your thinking & because he did not flame me.

Questioning someone's opinion is not flaming. Asking for further explanation is not flaming. Getting upset everytime one's opinion is questioned is not flaming, but it sure does get old.

Actually no. I don't have really strong feeelings about this. My questioning of Dean was really a clarification of what he was saying. I was also surprised to read his take on things, I guess.

I also don't believe I flamed you at all??????? I could be wrong but I don't believe so, I'll read my post again.

I certainly respect your opinion and your right to post it. It is however a public forum and if you want to be in the kitchen you better be able to stand the heat.

Edit: Please read my post in this thread ( post 56). I'll take the flames, even apologize when I'm wrong. For once I'm not and I'm not quite sure why you lashed out at me. My post was quite sympathetic (well at least for me) to you.

Actually no. I don't have really strong feeelings about this. My questioning of Dean was really a clarification of what he was saying. I was also surprised to read his take on things, I guess.

I also don't believe I flamed you at all??????? I could be wrong but I don't believe so, I'll read my post again.

I certainly respect your opinion and your right to post it. It is however a public forum and if you want to be in the kitchen you better be able to stand the heat.

Edit: Please read my post in this thread ( post 56). I'll take the flames, even apologize when I'm wrong. For once I'm not and I'm not quite sure why you lashed out at me. My post was quite sympathetic (well at least for me) to you.

Very nice post. :grouphug:

Please check out a recent post by Disneyfan 1 - "What discounts do you get for being a DVC member?"
I am not sure why it is ok to ask this question with everybody answering what great discounts they get, but it is not ok for the op to ask the same question and get flamed.

Part of it is a difference in presentation...take the following:

"Do DVC members get discounts on cash rooms at non-DVC resorts?"

"Why don't DVC members get discounts on cash rooms at non-DVC resorts?"

"DVC members should get discounts on cash rooms at non-DVC resorts."

If they gave me a cash discount at the Poly I sure wouldn't turn them down. But there is a big difference between "it would be nice" and "I think I should get it."

There is also a big difference between "DVC should give me a cash discount on non-DVC rooms because then I'd take more guests and we'd spend more money in the parks" and "DVC should give me a cash discount because I spent so much money buying points and they should reward my loyalty." (Usually contrasted with a post by the same person telling someone else they should buy in because 'its such a deal, we save so much money!').

Please check out a recent post by Disneyfan 1 - "What discounts do you get for being a DVC member?"
I am not sure why it is ok to ask this question with everybody answering what great discounts they get, but it is not ok for the op to ask the same question and get flamed.

Tone and wording

I've gone back and reread the OP two different times now and still see nothing in that post that is controversial at all. So if your perception is that this person was treated differently for some reason, I would have to agree with you. Frankly I don't see how the OP would have asked what they did any nicer and we've all seen a thousand similar posts about perks or cash vs points reservations by members asking in a far more negative tone and that were not met as harshly. The only difference I can think of is it's a non member asking, so much for DVC members being above it all.

I've gone back and reread the OP two different times now and still see nothing in that post that is controversial at all. So if your perception is that this person was treated differently for some reason, I would have to agree with you. Frankly I don't see how the OP would have asked what they did any nicer and we've all seen a thousand similar posts about perks or cash vs points reservations by members asking in a far more negative tone and that were not met as harshly. The only difference I can think of is it's a non member asking, so much for DVC members being above it all.
I agree with you 100% that some members fell that just because my family & I are not DVC members, it's a big no for me to ask a question about the perks they get.

CR Resort Fan 4 life said:

Soooo -- You're agreeing with someone who agrees with you???

Now that's just shocking! :rotfl2:
If it makes you sleep better at night saying a stupid comment like that, then good for you.

I just think it's shocking you choose to follow the crowd here & continue to flame me, just because others have been doing so & you flame others here just because they agree with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter