Why studios?

JH50

Earning My Ears
I've become a big fan of the DVC show, even though I have never considered purchasing (we've been to DW 4 times). The one draw for me, however, would be to have a separate bedroom away from my kids (as they are getting older), more room in general to spread out, and having a kitchen to cook a few meals, especially breakfast.

My question is why would someone want to stay in a studio vs. a regular non-DVC room? There is a small kitchenette, but the studio rooms don't seem much bigger than a moderate room.

The studios aren't much bigger than a moderate unit, no. But they are on the campuses of "deluxe" resorts, with better dining and (often) better transport options. They are pre-paid and hedge against inflation.

The leap between studio points and 1BR points is pretty steep, and points are not inexpensive to buy or pay dues on.

In my case, we bought enough points for studios when the kids were teens and said they were done with Disney and almost ready to head for college.

If they had been younger when we bought, I would have gone for enough points for a one or two bedroom because, like you, I want to have a separate space for us away from the kids who argued all the time when they were young about stupid stuff. LOL

As far as why we bought into studios instead of sticking with a moderate - I love the deluxe resorts and buying into DVC met I could stay at them with only paying a yearly maintenance fee. Otherwise I would have had to stay in moderates most of the time - which is fine but I really, really wanted to stay Deluxe.

The studios aren't much bigger than a moderate unit, no. But they are on the campuses of "deluxe" resorts, with better dining and (often) better transport options. They are pre-paid and hedge against inflation.

The leap between studio points and 1BR points is pretty steep, and points are not inexpensive to buy or pay dues on.

That makes sense. I really liked our room at Coronado Springs, and thought the price was reasonable, but it definitely isn't the Poly or like other deluxe's.

Because it cost less.

I can stay at Bay Lake Tower for much less than a room at the Contemporary usually costs. I think the common sentiment is Deluxe location for moderate price.

Next trip we're in a studio, but I've booked 1 and 2 bedroom units in the past and they're very much worth it, but also very expensive point wise.

The studios are a ton cheaper (around half the point cost of 1 BRs), but I agree that 1 bedrooms are nice to stay in. The separate space is just relaxing. Try price comparing the rental cost of one vs. a hotel room at a deluxe resort. I can promise it will cost more, but not double the price of a hotel room.

We first bought points to only get a studio. It was a loaded contact and decided to go to HH and could only get a one-bedroom, and it was great. The first time we went to AKV in a studio, for the amount of time we were in it (10 nights), we knew we needed more points for a 1 bedroom.

Now with that being said. If we were going down 2 or 3 times a year for 3 or 4 nights each time. A studio would be fine!

Last edited:

We planned our purchase around 1BR units. Yes, studios are "less expensive" but, for us, it is nothing over a hotel room. We purchased timeshare for the space and amenities: in-room laundry, jetted tub and full kitchen.

The kitchenette in the studios is very useful. Microwave, good sized fridge, often with a freezer, toaster, full size coffee maker, counter space, cupboards, full size garbage and recycling, decent sized stainless steel sink, mugs, glasses and dishes. A moderate has none of these things.

I like studios for shorter trips when we aren’t travelling as a whole family. I can do breakfast, lunch and snacks very easily with the provided amenities. We don’t like eating out too much on holiday.

The studios also provide access to free laundry—something I use every trip.

We love the dvc Community Halls. Moderates don’t have these.

Lastly, the amenities of the deluxe resort cannot be compared to a moderate

For comparison's sake, by the way, after buy in costs and yearly dues, I am paying less for a studio room at a deluxe resort than I would be paying for a room at a moderate resort. The biggest perk that I enjoy in the studio rooms that moderates do not offer is the balcony, second to that is the nice locations that they come with, and then I also love the kitchenette area.

Last edited:
We've also stayed in larger units depending on the trip but we're a family of 3 and the studios work well for us and allow us longer/more trips. I'm often staying Deluxe for less than a Value room. That's why we like studios lol

Last edited:
The kitchenette in the studios is very useful. Microwave, good sized fridge, often with a freezer, toaster, full size coffee maker, counter space, cupboards, full size garbage and recycling, decent sized stainless steel sink, mugs, glasses and dishes. A moderate has none of these things.

I like studios for shorter trips when we aren’t travelling as a whole family. I can do breakfast, lunch and snacks very easily with the provided amenities. We don’t like eating out too much on holiday.

The studios also provide access to free laundry—something I use every trip.

Lastly, the amenities of the deluxe resort cannot be compared to a moderate
I’d like to echo everything said here.

A lot of regular rooms have two beds rather than the sofa that is in most studios. As it’s just two of us the sofa is a lot more useful! We also benefit from the kitchenette.

As others have mentioned, over time a DVC studio can be a lot cheaper than booking regular cash stays, even though the rooms are similar sizes. Unfortunately, we made the mistake of staying in a 1 bedroom on our last trip. I think we’ll be paying for that mistake forever! :-)

My question is why would someone want to stay in a studio vs. a regular non-DVC room? There is a small kitchenette, but the studio rooms don't seem much bigger than a moderate room.

Its still going to be cheaper likely and gives you the flexibility in size if needed.

A good example:
May 8-15
Cheapest Moderate is Coronado Springs Water View - $1710 total ($244/night) [this is with the Sun + Fun discount]
AKV, BWV, OKW, SS - All cheaper to rent @$16/point (some of these will be booked but I suspect you can find something still)

Remember that is renting which is way more expensive over the course of your contract in addition to Moderate hotels likely getting price increases annually.

I suspect as you look at the other more expensive options for Moderates and you look at ownership costs of DVC you likely could stay at pretty much any DVC for less than a Moderate this year let alone in 5-10 years when Moderates are all $300-$400/night.

On the last day of my trip, instead of wondering when I will be back next, I already have 2 trips booked :) (Of course I could do that with cash)

Overall I believe its cheaper in the long run (the general consensus is that it runs in line with going every year and getting a room at a moderate - of course this is debatable)

Finally, and those who work for themselves can probably attest to this, it can be very easy to let a year or two, or more go buy without taking a vacation. Having DVC (or any time share for that matter) kinda forces you to take one, and that was of value to me.

YOLO

Most often I travel with my Mom as a party of 2, but I also take solo trips. A studio is really all we need for the 2 of us. If I was paying cash, I would only book values, but I honestly much prefer the locations of the DVC properties with their extra amenities. Oh and I much prefer interior halls! We also do breakfast in the rooms and that is very easy with the kitchenette. And it is nice to have a separate sofa to sit on and enjoy at the end of the day.

We don't need the space of the 1 bedroom and at double the point cost of a studio I'd rather just stay longer. The kitchenette is all we need for coffee, toast, cereal, etc. I'd much rather eat out then have to make dinner, so I don't real care about the full size kitchen. So while I like the 1 bedrooms, I don't think they provide good value for me.

When we bought first bought back in 2010, we compared out regular trip which was staying in a moderate with free dining against owning DVC and buying our food. Both were equivalent in price and we decided we would prefer the location and amenities of the deluxe resorts and then just buy what we wanted to eat over staying in a moderate with free dining. Of course free dining has become harder to get and isn't even offered a lot of times when we go, so that makes owning DVC even better as we aren't always looking for those discounts.

We loooove one bedrooms, and sometimes stay in lock off 2 bedrooms. It just depends if my ex husband allows my two teenagers to miss a week of school to come with us.
I have 3 kids with my now husband so most trips we are a party of 5, which would work in a studio but is miserable! I like to put the kids to bed and then stay up a little later with my husband. That doesn't work well in a studio, with lights on/ sound/ talking the kids take forever to fall asleep.

We had to stay one night at Caribbean Beach one year due to some changes in travel plans. It was the most MISERABLE night ever! The room was tiny, the bathroom was just miniature and no kitchenette to even make a small breakfast. I will NEVER do that again.

For me, when I go by myself or with a friend, I don’t need more than a studio. But, there are times when I went with more people and my children and did 2 bedrooms,

It allows you the flexibility to book all different levels without worrying. When I first bought in, my cost was getting me a 1 bedroom for about the same cost as a room at the Contemporary for 5 nights for my family of 5.

I don’t cook on vacation so having the full kitchen isn’t really needed. But, having the extra space is wonderful and DVC allows you to book when you do or stay in studios when you don’t!

I appreciate all the replies and they all make sense.

We are looking at a potential trip in August and it looks like I can get a one bedroom preferred at Saratoga Springs for $444 a night, with the new promotion on the website, compared to $267 a night for a preferred room at Coronado Springs. That rate also looks to be cheaper than renting points, so I am seriously considering it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter