• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why would someone do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JudicialTyranny said:
Yeah, things don't always work out as planned. I'm sure the parents didn't plan on having the kids screaming during dinner. Being that you have to make these ADR's months in advance, they didn't know the kids would be screaming at that time - they may have not even known when they got there or when they ordered. As someone who has four young kids, I know things can go downhill quickly and with little notice.

I have some, but not much sympathy for the original poster - sorry - if I want a nice quiet dinner without kids around, a restaurant in WDW is not where I go. It's just common sense to me.

We just didn't make those ADRs for signature dining when our kids were tantrum age, because we couldn't depend on them for proper behavior. As someone with four young kids, you know that you can't depend on them to all behave five minutes from now. So stick to places where its noisy and you don't have to ruin a $40 steak by putting it in a to-go bag - or ruin other diners experience by sitting there while their kid screams.

I think its common sense that when I go to a restaurant where I'll spend $100 a plate - whether that is at WDW or in my hometown - people will remove misbehaving kids.

Who knows how often it happens....but what I think here is that you have to add in that the children are probably tired from being at the parks all day or swimming in the pools or just generally having their usual routine upset by being away from their homes and in strange beds compared to just going to a local restaurant in their hometown. Also add in the travelling part of going to WDW....driving in the car for many hours or even flying, leaving early and being strapped into a seat on a plane for who knows how many hours.

As a parent of a 12 year and an 8 year old, and having fostered children anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 years old, I do not and will never understand why people would tolerate their children's misbehavior anywhere--Citrico's, McDonald's, one's own kitchen. It is NOT "cute" for a child to wander the restaurant, striking up conversation with other diners. It is NOT "kids will be kids" for a child's tantrum to disturb other diners.
Parents need to give specific instructions for behavior expectations and monitor children's behavior. Parents need to be be willing to forgo their dinners to remove their children from the restaurant if need be. In short, parents need to be--parents. :sunny:

Lewisc said:
I haven't read the entire thread but I can sort of understand a family that made a reservation and arranged their TS to have enough credits to dine in a signature restaurant giving their kids "the benefit of the doubt" past the point of being any doubt.

I think the solution might be to follow Bistro and not have a children's menu and they might even require everyone, including kids, order a price fixed menu or at least an entrée from the adult menu. Citrios might even follow the example of Shula's and comp the kids club, or at least offer a discounted rate that's less than what dinner for the kids at the restaurant would cost.

The problem is Disney is a family destination and most of the restaurants have to cater to kids. Making a half dozen "signature" restaurants the exception is probably a fair compromise.

What WDW really needs is to take the clue from the popularity of Palo on the cruise ship - not allow children in V&As and maybe two other (non-price fixe more reasonable) restaurants - one over in the Epcot area and one in the MK area (or possibly, one in Epcot, V&As in the MK, one in DTD).

But that still doesn't excuse people who allow their children to melt down in a restaurant.

That said, when my daughter was four she had a SPECTACULAR melt down in Boma (there are many reasons I don't like Boma, but I'll admit my experience may be colored by this tantrum)....and we were in the back of the restaurant. It was far to crowded to remove her without her kicking someone in the head. I was so embarrassed and there was nothing I could do. I would have had to carry her out, and she was just to big to do it in tight quarters without risking making it far worse. One of the other waitresses - not ours - came by and managed to calm her down. And I can still work up disappointment in my husband - who told a little girl prone to tantrums that she had to eat something besides strawberries and grapes to get dessert - which set her off - that was just plain stupid on his part.

So it happens, and sometimes you can't yank your kids out. Which is why we were eating at loud, noisy, and not terribly expensive Boma and not at Jiko that night.

tinker&belle said:
Okay, I'll throw this out...how often does this happen in WDW restaurants...would you say more or less than your typical Applebees/Longhorn Steakhouse/Cheesecake Factory experience?

Overall about the same.

At the signature restaurants compared to similar restaurants not at WDW, probably more because people tend to puch their kids to the limit and not think that just because Susie is an angel at the nice place at home, she'll be that way after a day in the heat riding ride after ride and eating cotton candy and ice cream. Younger kids out of their typical routine do not good dining partners make.

Unfortunately many parents who want to eat at a nice place at home and realize they need to go early if they are going to take their kids to keep on their kids timetable throw common sense to the wind at WDW so they book a 9:00pm ADR at the CG to be able to watch WISHES. If I had a nickel for every kid I saw fast asleep on the table there before the fireworks began, it would pick up the tab for dinner at the CG.

Anne

I will admit that I didn't read all 19 pages, but I tend to agree with Anne. A nice sit down dinner was part of my WDW experience on almost every night of every trip over the past 12 years.

Last year, I did see a marked change in the TS restaurants, and while I suspected that it may be due to the Dining Plan, several CMs who know me actually offered up that information without my asking. Some menus have been reduced, possibly due to the plan (Spoodles for instance, whcih was confirmed by the CMs there)

The athmosphere in some of the signature locations has changed as well. It is simply not appropriate for children to play tag through any full service restaurant, let alone Yachtsman Steakhouse.

While I love children, I know that I can barely make it to 9pm for Illuminations, so I suspect that a child may find it even more difficult. (And for the record, 'Auntie Bavaria' often takes her small friends outside and forgoes her meal when their behaviour becomes unacceptable)

I am all for giving children experiences, including broadening their palate by bringing them to a full service restaurant. When their behaviour begins to have an impact on other diners, however, it is time to leave.

crisi said:
And I can still work up disappointment in my husband - who told a little girl prone to tantrums that she had to eat something besides strawberries and grapes to get dessert - which set her off - that was just plain stupid on his part.
I think that it is perfectly appropriate to tell a 5 year old that they must finish dinner before having dessert. What is NOT appropriate is allowing a 5 year old to ruin other people's good time with a temper tantrum (if you can even call it that at age 5.)

There isn't a 5 year old on the planet I couldn't control well enough to get them out of a restaurant.

When my kids were little, we didn't go to fancy restaurants unless we had a sitter. Now they are old enough to behave in restaurants so we go where ever we please. If I felt like I "had" to go to a restuarant because it would be my only chance (ie the family who saves up for a once in a lifetime trip to WDW) and I had small kids, I'd get the first ADR of the night and if there were a "melt down" ask for to go boxes for the uneaten food.
As for those who only go there because they have the dining plan and haven't eaten in fancy places before...how wonderful for them. Maybe they will get to try something they never would have otherwise and that's fantastic. In fact, how wonderful for us. This is our second free dining trip and the only way you pick us out of a crowd as "people who don't alway eat at nice places" would be by the big happy smiles on our faces and our incredibly grateful attitudes. I'm a single mom of two so the biggest splurge at home is The Olive Garden or Chili's. It's absolutely magical to get to eat at 1900 Park Fare or in the Castle; it's a real treat. :goodvibes

We just finished a week in DW with a magical gathering of 9. We did a TS once a day for our 8 day stay and never had a problem with our small children. Of course we planned well and did not eat at the finer establishments. On this trip my wife and I enjoyed a nice quiet breakfast together after we put the children on the pirate's cruise. That and a night out to PI with the other adult in our gathering was our "adult time." The kids were back in the room with teenagers babysitting.
After the 8 day trip - we sent the kids off to the beach with Nana and the wife and I went back down for 2 days of adult fun and dining. This is the way to do it! Enjoy disney with the kids - ship'em off- and then have adult time.

Cool-Beans said:
I think that it is perfectly appropriate to tell a 5 year old that they must finish dinner before having dessert. What is NOT appropriate is allowing a 5 year old to ruin other people's good time with a temper tantrum (if you can even call it that at age 5.)

There isn't a 5 year old on the planet I couldn't control well enough to get them out of a restaurant.

I've lifted her bodily out of restaurants before and happen to be a pretty good judge of her ability to kick people in the head. I stopped doing it at three - when she managed to squirm out of my arms and conk herself on a table. (Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan have NOTHING on some of the scenes we've had). Perhaps you are larger than I am, but neither my husband or I could have removed her safely and without creating MORE of a scene than she was creating. But I thank you for judging a situation you did not see with a child you have never met.....

First of all, I have to say that I agree that screaming children should be removed from a public setting. I have 2 young kids, and I always expect good behavior. My children are usually very well-behaved. The few times they have acted up, I have taken them out. I even had to do this once on a trip at a restaurant I had waited over a year to go to. Disappointment. It was my fault though. The only open table was late in the evening.

I expect quiet voices, sitting down, good manners, etc. We clean up any excessive messes that we make.

On our trip, we will be eating at our traditional dinner time. My kids don't nap, but for our exhausting trip, we will be taking mid day naps or breaks just in case.

I have been in restaurants before with other people's kids screaming. It is very irritating.

However, to suggest that families not be allowed after a certain time is unfair. Why should all families be punished for those who aren't considerate?

And I would suggest that if you don't like to be seated near children, that you request that when you check in for your reservation. If someone was seated next to my family and requested to be moved away from my children, I would be humilated!

ducklite
"Trust me, I've seen lots of kids (and their parents) over the years at WDW that have obviously spent plenty of time eating out of troughs and at Mc D's. If your kids have never eaten anywhere nicer than Chuck-E-Cheeses, then a nice restaurant when they are wiped out from a day in a theme park isn't a good choice. In fact it's a STUPID CHOICE made by STUPID and INCONSIDERATE people."

"That's common sense and common courtesy 101."

"I was not being mean or insulting, just factual. Not everyone fits into the shoe of being on the dining plan and never having eaten anywhere but Mc D's, but a significant enough portion have that it has had a negative effect. I stand by that statement, and I think many others will agree.
"

You aren't being considerate in your postings. Also, you absolutely were being mean and insulting! And when I say you were being mean, I am being polite!

If I felt bad about your bad dining experience, your crassness has made me withdraw any sympathy.

Oh, and a PS, for people who don't have kids judging parenting skills of those who do... just wait... your time will come.

tinker&belle said:
Okay, I'll throw this out...how often does this happen in WDW restaurants...would you say more or less than your typical Applebees/Longhorn Steakhouse/Cheesecake Factory experience?

:yay: :yay: Just got back from Friendly's with my almost 13 y/o dd. We had a complete, nuclear meltdown a few tables away!!! All I could think of was this thread. The kid was screaming and crying..the mom was screaming at the kid, oh yeah, it was a very pretty sight. THis is sort of how it went...kid screaming..."But I hate it, I hate it, I'm not gonna eat it!!!" Mom..."Like *&*( you're not!!! Stop that screaming and eat what's in front of you!! NOw, or I'll whack ya!!" More kid screaming, more mom screaming. So.....my dd looks at me and says.."Well then, that's a pleasant dinnertime atmosphere isn't it? Do you think her screaming at him is going to make him stop??"
Yep, happens everywhere. Again, a lot of other diners just sitting there, staring. I, of course, did not stare. Not out of politeness..I was actually scared that mom would come over and start yelling at me!!!!
Manners are manners...no matter where you are. Unfortunatly, it is going to impact everyone around the area of the meltdown. I think we wouldn't be bothered nearly as much if the parents tried to handle it..kind of a situation where they actually got up and apologized for their little monsters behavior..almost making fun of themselves. Would it make the actual situation for the surrounding diners any better? Perhaps not, but at least everyone would know that the parents knew their child was out of line and were trying to remedy the situation. Rather than just going on with their meal and ignoring the misbehavior. In the Anne's case, perhaps the family should have just chalked it up to a learning experience and headed out rather than forcing their children on everyone....especially if they hadn't even been seated yet.

I was hoping to keep this open for another 20 pages and we were going good there for a bit but I think we are deteriorating a bit.. so with that, I thank you all for the positive discussion we have had here. I do not think we are going to change each other minds, but hopefully this discussion will prompt others to think how their families act in restaurants and the impact it has on others. Have a great night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter