• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why would someone do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RNLUVSDISNEY said:
SORRY--no hadn't read the dress code policy. He would not wear his hat. I was simply enforcing that not everyone that wears hats is automatically eating out of troughs. By the way, my kids typically eat dinner around 8 PM, so by your policies we wouldn't be allowed to eat at a TS at WDW. That would really make us unhappy. They are well behaved in restaurants, we would not allow anything else. But, w/ breakfast at 10, lunch at 1400, we can't feed them before 6 for you. Around us the "blue hairs" that don't want to be around kids go out to eat around 4 or 5 before the kids are out.

Then a "children's section" might be a better way to go to accomodate those on different times zones. Because WDW Signature resturants dont open until at least 5:00pm, in some cases 5:30 or 6:00, eating early to avoid children won't work.

Anne

I know that WDW is a family place and when DH and I go to a nice sit down restaurant we know there will be kids there, however if the CM is trying to sit us next to a family that is having a tough time we ask for another table and that has worked well for us.

What I dont understand is this: If your kid is screaming at the top of their lungs to the point of hyperventilating, snot running, tears streaming, kicking and flailing their arms, not listening to a word you are saying to them, WHY DONT YOU TAKE THEM OUT OF THE RESTAURANT!!! Why would you put other people through that misery??

Now we are going with my 2 nieces for the first time, we have never gone with young children before. I made all the sit down meals for breakfast, thinking the kids will be fresh and excited and not moody. We are having our lunch and dinner at TS places, I dont want to chance a meltdown and ruin anyone elses meal.

You know when I first replied to this post I tried to take a "nonpartisan" role and see everybody's side.
Just now I went back and reread Anne's original post and the bottom line is Anne,the tone of your message is snobby and elitest.
How dare you insinuate that your dinner ambiance wouldn't be disturbed if the masses weren't allowed to use the dining plan!
My husband is also a chef and restaurant manager and we and our 5 year old do know how to read and understand the menu! My daughter would be delighted to have a mesculen salad and cheese and fruit for dessert, by the way. :cool1: She knows a culinary world outside of chicken nuggets and french fries.
That being said, she would never be allowed to disturb other diners with her bad behaviour and there are places we don't take her because it is too long for her to sit still in a grownup environment.
You could have made your point without being so mean and insulting.
I will be on the dining plan in Oct. and I will take my daughter wherever I daggon well please and you can kiss my grits!! or maybe you would prefer polenta with a marsala and mushroom sauce? Its my DH's specialty!

:dancer: :thanks: :jumping1:

I couldn't agree more. Screaming children are not fun for anyone to have to put up with. I know it's WDW; so is school and church. Children should be trained not to scream anywhere, not just at WDW.

Enjoy.

Lizzy2 said:
You know when I first replied to this post I tried to take a "nonpartisan" role and see everybody's side.
Just now I went back and reread Anne's original post and the bottom line is Anne,the tone of your message is snobby and elitest.
How dare you insinuate that your dinner ambiance wouldn't be disturbed if the masses weren't allowed to use the dining plan!

Actually what I said is that many have noticed that since the dining plan was implemented, many people with young kids not used to eating in full service restaurants are doing so at WDW. This is not the time or place to take over stimulated, over tired kids who don't eat out anywhere but McD's at home out for long meals.

My husband is also a chef and restaurant manager and we and our 5 year old do know how to read and understand the menu! My daughter would be delighted to have a mesculen salad and cheese and fruit for dessert, by the way. :cool1: She knows a culinary world outside of chicken nuggets and french fries.
That being said, she would never be allowed to disturb other diners with her bad behaviour and there are places we don't take her because it is too long for her to sit still in a grownup environment.

That's because you are a parent who "gets it." My guess is that your husband probably ahs some stories to tell about poorly behaved children and the havoc they cause, and this reinforces your desire to make sure your child is on best behaviour in a restarant.

You could have made your point without being so mean and insulting.
I will be on the dining plan in Oct. and I will take my daughter wherever I daggon well please and you can kiss my grits!! or maybe you would prefer polenta with a marsala and mushroom sauce? Its my DH's specialty!

:dancer: :thanks: :jumping1:

I was not being mean or insulting, just factual. Not everyone fits into the shoe of being on the dining plan and never having eaten anywhere but Mc D's, but a significant enough portion have that it has had a negative effect. I stand by that statement, and I think many others will agree.

I'm sure you will have a great tip, and your daughter--who is used to fine dining--will ahve no problem with it at WDW.

Polenta isn't a favorite food, although I do enjoy marsala on chicken. Is your husband planning on coming over to prepare dinner for me some night? It seemed like you wre offering...

Anne

Okay after 17 pages...
I am very much against having to eat early or be put in the back of a restaurant just because I have children. CG is one of our favorite restaurants, DD first went when she was 3, ADR's for 7:30 to watch Wishes, because she hated the noise of fireworks. We asked for a table with a view and it was granted. DS was 4. They were behaved and enjoyed themselves. Now, for our part we came back to the resort early, took showers and rested, plus we fed them to tide them over, so they would not be overly hungry. They were also informed of what would be expected of them, and consequences should that not happen. Do I wish other parents would do the same thing? Yes. But I cannot control them, so I take care of mine and hopefully set a good example.

My children's wishes do not come first in our household, they might not like going somewhere but our job is not to cater to them, it is to raise them to have respect and discipline, and this means how to handle not always getting their own way.

In a restaurant whether it be Citrico's or Chef Mickey's , or Applebee's we do not believe it is okay to allow our children to run around or speak loudly even if other children are doing so. As it is disrespectful of others enjoying a meal, no matter what type of restaurant you are at.

Do I expect children to be at all the restaurants that DH and I will be at on our adult only trip this fall? yes, because we are choosing to go to Disney. I hope the parents try to keep their children from disrupting dinner. But, the first thing I learned as a parent is to NEVER judge other parents, the first time you say "my children will never do ...." They WILL do it and you will end up looking like a fool. Have compassion and hope things go better for them, (and then silently say a prayer of thanks that it is not you ;) )

Just to point out that this is also an issue in the "real world" as well as WDW...

A year or two ago, Darden Restaurants (the company behind Red Lobster, Olive Garden and Bahama Breeze) opened a new prototype here in Orlando: Seasons 52. To get across the point that the restaurant is geared to adults, unlike other Dardens, it has NO children's menu and no highchairs or booster seats on the premises. Children are still allowed, but the message is pretty clear. I think this would work at WDW if limited to two or three signature restaurants. (In fairness, I can't imagine I would have enjoyed a meal at Seasons 52 as a child or even in high school.)

As for the argument that WDW is geared solely to children...what about the convention centers? The spas? Pleasure Island? While much of WDW is geared to all ages, some areas are "adults only," just as some are "kids only." For example, as fun as it looks, I have never gone and climbed all over Pooh's Playground. :)

notnothin said:
His commentary mentions nothing of a caste system. Those are simple facts. :cool1:
I respectfully would suggest that rather than facts, they are interpretations.

I find it hard to believe that some people think that these childrens behavior is acceptable in a restuarant and that the parents didn't do anything wrong by staying there. We are not talking about kids being kids and laughing or maybe talking a little loud or squirming in their seat. The kid was wailing and the other was standing next to the table. The OP was not the only in the restuarant that was having issues with the behavior at that table.

For people who said.."hey it's disney, you have to expect children to be at restuarants acting like that", be so delighted and understanding if you were in a movie theater with a family with kids behind you and the kids were crying, wailing and kicking your seat while the parents just sat their and ignored their kids behavior? Bet you wouldn't. You would be annoyed and would not enjoy the movie. You would say to yourself..."My god I can't believe the parents let that go on" "Geez they just sat there and ignored their kids behavior", "They really should have left if their kids can't behave"."They have no respect to the other people around them who came to watch the movie."

Annie

Brooknwdw said:
On a final note..and this is not meant to sound mean or anything. But some people seem to have no tolerance for anything that inconviences them in the least, even for 10 minutes...an hour..any amount of time. They are more entitled to enjoyment, pleasure, relaxation..etc than the strangers next to them. In a way, that is inconsiderate too. I remember reading some of the COS airplane seat thread in amazement. It is entitlement and a me first (or me only) attitude..or could be seen that way by others.
Well said, this thread is about entitlement. Funny how when we get down to it, my needs are always more important than yours. :goodvibes

Brooknwdw said:
On a final note..and this is not meant to sound mean or anything. But some people seem to have no tolerance for anything that inconviences them in the least, even for 10 minutes...an hour..any amount of time. They are more entitled to enjoyment, pleasure, relaxation..etc than the strangers next to them. In a way, that is inconsiderate too. I remember reading some of the COS airplane seat thread in amazement. It is entitlement and a me first (or me only) attitude..or could be seen that way by others.

I realize that it is natural to care more about your own comfort and enjoyment above others.but maybe that is what these parents were guilty of so if works both ways.

I fail to see where this family in question was getting any relaxation, pleasure and enjoyment. The kids were miserable and screaming.

And maybe they had planned for a while like most people. Guess what...things don't always work out as planned. So they couldn't bare to give up the ADR so they sat there miserable, the kids were miserable and the rest of the restuarant had to listen to the carrying on. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Annie

ducklite said:
Your opinion.

How about if I refer to them as over tired, poorly mannered brats who don't know how to use silverware? Same idea.

In all honesty, it's the parents who are to blame, and I am not blaming the kids, even if they are brats. ;)

Anne

I must say that your insulting tone makes it difficult even when I agree with the main message. I would never subject other diners (even at McDonald's) to my children's bad behavior. It is unacceptable for them to misbehave regardless of the location. BUT, the way you insist on insulting parents has turned me off to your message completely. I would have been interested in your opinion if you had not seen it fit to disparage many others along the way.

ducklite said:
Considering that they book up a year or more in advance, I guess they won't miss you then. I think it's an excellent policy that serves their entire guest demographic quite well. And for the record, they don't allow pets either.

Anne
As Disney seems to be doing quite well with their existing methods of accepting ADR's from families in all restaurants, maybe they will have to do without the business of people who now equate children as pets (maybe a step up in your mind from barnyard animals).

As a teacher, I enjoy spending time with children. However, I have a hard time imagining so many children are 'perfect' at a signature restaurant (I have seen many adults who aren't!). Children love to run, play, and yes, they do talk loudly!!! (It is something teachers and parents are working on, but most need reminders!)

Don't you remember eating at McDonalds as a young child and dying to finish to hit the playground?

I personally don't want to dine near screaming children. I know when I am a parent, it is a decision I will have to make about taking kids to a restaurant, but I will do what is appropriate for my child. I cannot make that decision right now, because I do not know what their needs will be.

I have a thought here... would you tolerate this behavior on a plane? You are trapped there and so are the parents, sometimes children have issues flying, their ears, etc....so we are more tolerant of that, but what if you are sitting in the seat in front of a child, who is clearly upset and kicking your chair...you look over and guess what the parents are sitting across the aisle from the children....with their earphones on listening to music or watching a movie. You on the other hand are having your seat constantly kicked and the child is yelling or whatever. How do you handle that one? Just a change of scenery, but sort of the same. Am I suppose to put up with that behavior because they are children and they are excited...I don't think so. I call the flight attendant and he/she handles it.

traviesojmt said:
I must say that your insulting tone makes it difficult even when I agree with the main message. I would never subject other diners (even at McDonald's) to my children's bad behavior. It is unacceptable for them to misbehave regardless of the location. BUT, the way you insist on insulting parents has turned me off to your message completely. I would have been interested in your opinion if you had not seen it fit to disparage many others along the way.

The only people I was insulting were those who allow their children to behave in a manner that disrupts a restaurant full of diners. In this thread I have also applauded parents who have the common sense and manners to know their children's limits and respect them--for both their kids and those around them.

Of course you, as well as many others haven't bothered to read that part of the message.

Anne

I have a 6 and 8 year old and they know without a doubt that they must behave nearly perfectly in a restaurant because it isn't fair to other people to do otherwise. When they were in the 2 year old phases we spent well over a year with one child and about 6 months with the other not being able to go out at all but that was part of being a parent for us. On our first trip when the kids were 4 and 6 we ate almost exclusively at character places and very early. On our last trip we tried a few nicer meals including Le Cellier (which was nearly a 2 hour meal) and they were perfect. We always be sure to eat as early as possible (partially because service is quicker). The kids know with absolute certainty that we are willing to lose out on a good time if they act up at all--we left Friendly's (a kid oriented family ice cream place) once for a minor misbehavior which they still remember getting no ice cream.....

I totally understand that there are occasions where kids are kids but we as parents feel like we must get them out ASAP when this happens irregardless of what it costs us because it isn't fair to others. After our last trip our kids did not want to return to Chef Mickey's because there were many yelling, screaming, running around, food throwing kids. Even in a kid oriented restaurant I think kids can be expected to act decently to some extent. We aren't really very strict parents but we do have specific expectations and ruining other people's good time is a line we don't let the kids cross whether or not there are already 20 kids yelling or not. I for one would not like to sit in an area sanctioned for poorly behaved kids just because I have kids.

Yvonne

calgarygary said:
As Disney seems to be doing quite well with their existing methods of accepting ADR's from families in all restaurants, maybe they will have to do without the business of people who now equate children as pets (maybe a step up in your mind from barnyard animals).

Where on earth did I ever equate a child to a pet? Although I've seen many pets with better manners than some kids, but that's another thread.

And as I said in my original post, WDW management DOES see some problems with parents of children who are disruptive, and ARE going to be takigns teps to make changes. What those changes will be I don't know, but I can say with some level of confidence that they will benefit those who would rather their dinner not be disturbed by parents who selfishly put their wants ahead of their childrens needs.

Anne

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter