Will an underage guest at a table with of age guest be carded if alcohol is ordered?

writingmachine

Earning My Ears
I'll be down in July of next year with 7 friends. Most of us will be 22-25 at the time of the trip, but we will also have 2 friends who will only be 20 at the time. My question is if we have a TS dinner and the of age guests order alcohol will they also card the rest of the table who do not?

Reason I ask is in my state it can go either way. Most of the time they won't, but a few years ago my friend and I ordered drinks at a restaurant and they carded the entire table and refused to serve us any alcohol because our friend was only 20 at the time.

Might be a silly question but I wanted to ask either way.

I've never seen or heard of that. If one is of legal age to drink they can't ( or shouldn't ) discriminate against that person for sitting next to someone under age.. and serve...ridiculous.

I don't think you ll see that at Disney. Enjoy ur trip!

I was a waittress when I was in college. We were trained to ID the person drinking, never once was it even a thought to ID whoever they were with. Shouldn't be a problem.

In NZ you wouldn't get served at an off licence (supermarket or bottle store) in those circumstances. Restaurant would be OK as they can see who is or isn't drinking. If it was a bar the underage wouldn't be allowed in.

The legal drinking age here is 18...

As others have said, I would not expect them to card everyone at the table...UNLESS someone who had not ordered a drink and therefore was not carded was observed drinking from an alcoholic drink. IF that happened then I could see them carding everyone and if not all are over 21 the management refusing to serve anymore alcohol to the table.

No I've never seen it done in WDW but they do that in liquor stores in my area. Everyone at the register has to be carded. If everyone isn't 21 no one can buy liquor.

I've been carded at liquor stores when I've been with my husband and he was purchasing alcohol, but I've never been carded at a restaurant when he purchases an alcoholic beverage and I haven't. In fact, I've never heard of such a thing.

I'll be down in July of next year with 7 friends. Most of us will be 22-25 at the time of the trip, but we will also have 2 friends who will only be 20 at the time. My question is if we have a TS dinner and the of age guests order alcohol will they also card the rest of the table who do not?

Reason I ask is in my state it can go either way. Most of the time they won't, but a few years ago my friend and I ordered drinks at a restaurant and they carded the entire table and refused to serve us any alcohol because our friend was only 20 at the time.

Might be a silly question but I wanted to ask either way.

The only place I've ever seen everyone in the party carded is at the liquor store or convenience store. They do it because they have too many problems of adults buying for underage kids. It's to the point where I make my 20 year old stay in the car if I'm running into 7Eleven to buy a bottle or a six pack because they won't sell to me if we are together.

I've never seen this happen at a bar or restaurant.

I have experienced this before when dining as well as when purchasing in a liquor store, but not at Disney. I don't drink but my husband does and several times I've been asked for my ID as well as his when he was purchasing or ordering alcohol. But he drinks at Disney and I've never been asked there when I've been with him so I think you should be fine. If anything I would think a server wouldn't refuse to serve it, but would want to be aware of anyone not legal so they don't serve them by accident (thinking larger parties) later in the meal.

I don't know what Florida state law is BUT in NJ/PA/DE/MD, there's a state law that says if someone at the table is under 21, there needs to be someone at the table who is over 25 in order for adults of legal age to be served alcohol.

What that means is that if there's people at the table who are say, 20 & 22 - the 22 year old cannot legally be served alcohol.

If there is someone 20, 22 &25 - then the 22 and 25 year olds can legally be served alcohol.

The reasoning behind this is that there are laws about an individual legally an adult at 25 (whereas some of the laws are more lenient when under 25 - and you'd have to check with your state as to which one). Ergo, the 25 year old is old enough to be legally responsible for the welfare of the person who is under 21; but the 22 year old person is not, so therefore can't be served alcohol.

But again - I don't know what Florida laws specifically say.

I was a waittress when I was in college. We were trained to ID the person drinking, never once was it even a thought to ID whoever they were with. Shouldn't be a problem.

I was a waitress as well through high school and college. This was the policy where I worked as well. It sounds bizarre, but this has happened a few other times to my friend as well in state and out of state. Up until that time I'd never seen or heard of it happening ever.

I can understand liquor stores. I always left my sister in the car when she was under aged and we were doing shopping for family parties around the holidays.

Never had it happen at a Disney restaurant. The only place I know of that Disney has a similar rule is the CP house. There a dry apartment means dry no mater what your age so people who turn 21 on the program usually try to move to 21+ housing ASAP. You shouldn't come into that rule just as a park guest though so I wouldn't worry.

I have experienced this before when dining as well as when purchasing in a liquor store, but not at Disney. I don't drink but my husband does and several times I've been asked for my ID as well as his when he was purchasing or ordering alcohol. But he drinks at Disney and I've never been asked there when I've been with him so I think you should be fine. If anything I would think a server wouldn't refuse to serve it, but would want to be aware of anyone not legal so they don't serve them by accident (thinking larger parties) later in the meal.

Glad I'm not alone in experiencing that! It's really strange that I've only experienced it happening in the last 3 years or so.

I've experience this before too (I lived in PA my whole life and attended college in the state), but never at Disney, and the first time we went my boyfriend was over 21 and I was under 21, and he was carded when he ordered alcohol but I was not. You should be fine.

The only time I've experienced it at Disney is at a counter when ordering two drinks (one for me and one for a friend). I was 23 and they asked who the other one was for and said they needed to see that person's id as well. I would guess it might be similar if you ordered say a bottle of wine for the table, but a single drink hasn't been an issue.

I don't know what Florida state law is BUT in NJ/PA/DE/MD, there's a state law that says if someone at the table is under 21, there needs to be someone at the table who is over 25 in order for adults of legal age to be served alcohol.

What that means is that if there's people at the table who are say, 20 & 22 - the 22 year old cannot legally be served alcohol.

If there is someone 20, 22 &25 - then the 22 and 25 year olds can legally be served alcohol.

The reasoning behind this is that there are laws about an individual legally an adult at 25 (whereas some of the laws are more lenient when under 25 - and you'd have to check with your state as to which one). Ergo, the 25 year old is old enough to be legally responsible for the welfare of the person who is under 21; but the 22 year old person is not, so therefore can't be served alcohol.

But again - I don't know what Florida laws specifically say.

That makes no sense at all.

In FL kids can belly up to the bars. So I doubt this is an issue in FL.

I can understand liquor stores. I always left my sister in the car when she was under aged and we were doing shopping for family parties around the holidays.

I can't understand it. In WA as it is now, liquor is available at grocery stores. I haven't been to a private liquor store since "we" voted that in, but before at the state-run liquor stores minors could come in. I could bring my then-baby in. At 22 I went into one with two 19 year olds, and as long as they didn't touch anything they weren't carded and I was allowed to buy alcohol.

Only if you order a bottle of wine and seven glasses.
:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter