Will an underage guest at a table with of age guest be carded if alcohol is ordered?

Well--we eat at the bars at many restaurants in York Co and have seen CHILDREN seated AT the bar while the parents got drinks!! Not to mention at a table---

Happened just last week at Ruby Tuesdays in Shrewsbury...
Exactly. I know I have been served in York while my son was at the table.

Now, bars and restaurants near York College may have their own rule about who to serve. But I never heard about it being a law.
(Former Stewartstown resident)

Oh, and I've never had a problem at Disney. They served me when our son was 19.

Two of my adult children and my son in law are drinking age, range 23 - 27, and all of them get carded at Disney every time. However, my teenage daughter has been with them and us at the table, and never been carded.

In PA, more and more restaurants are not allowing children to eat in bars at restaurants. We've been to Red Robins recently and they asked our teenage daughter's age before seating us, since the only immediately available seats were in the bar area.

Also, at a local supermarket that sells alcohol, my 23 year old was refused service when my teenage daughter was with her. I was also with them, but not at the check out with them and I had to go back just so my 23 year old could buy a 6 pack. They would not sell to her without me present. On another occasion about 6 months prior, I was carded at the same grocery store when my 23 year old bought a 6 pack. When I questioned them, they said they will card anyone in line or who appears to be with the purchaser. BUT, I can go into the liquor store with my teen and not get carded at all. ????

My kids get carded all the time when I order alcohol. They are 12,7, and 5 so,it's understandable

Two of my adult children and my son in law are drinking age, range 23 - 27, and all of them get carded at Disney every time. However, my teenage daughter has been with them and us at the table, and never been carded.

In PA, more and more restaurants are not allowing children to eat in bars at restaurants. We've been to Red Robins recently and they asked our teenage daughter's age before seating us, since the only immediately available seats were in the bar area.

Also, at a local supermarket that sells alcohol, my 23 year old was refused service when my teenage daughter was with her. I was also with them, but not at the check out with them and I had to go back just so my 23 year old could buy a 6 pack. They would not sell to her without me present. On another occasion about 6 months prior, I was carded at the same grocery store when my 23 year old bought a 6 pack. When I questioned them, they said they will card anyone in line or who appears to be with the purchaser. BUT, I can go into the liquor store with my teen and not get carded at all. ????

I'm going to take a guess that your talking about Weis. The clerk at my weis cards me by name but still cards me (I'm 35 lol and normally dragging a kid or two through the store). They are so strict

I'm going to take a guess that your talking about Weis. The clerk at my weis cards me by name but still cards me (I'm 35 lol and normally dragging a kid or two through the store). They are so strict
It was Wegmans. In our Weis, everyone purchasing alcohol needs to have their ID scanned before you pay and they never make an exception.

Also, at a local supermarket that sells alcohol, my 23 year old was refused service when my teenage daughter was with her. I was also with them, but not at the check out with them and I had to go back just so my 23 year old could buy a 6 pack. They would not sell to her without me present. On another occasion about 6 months prior, I was carded at the same grocery store when my 23 year old bought a 6 pack. When I questioned them, they said they will card anyone in line or who appears to be with the purchaser. BUT, I can go into the liquor store with my teen and not get carded at all. ????[/QUOT
The Red Robins in the NJ suburbs of Philadelphia are the same.Must be a company policy. In NJ children aren't to sit at the bar but a table in that area is ok. And I have been carded at the local Wegmans even though I have been legal in NJ for 30 plus years.I think it is just their policy same may be true for your supermarket.

The Red Robins in the NJ suburbs of Philadelphia are the same.Must be a company policy. In NJ children aren't to sit at the bar but a table in that area is ok. And I have been carded at the local Wegmans even though I have been legal in NJ for 30 plus years.I think it is just their policy same may be true for your supermarket.

Georgia Red Robin, no one under 21 may sit in bar area at all, not even table. Interesting how it varies.

Georgia Red Robin, no one under 21 may sit in bar area at all, not even table. Interesting how it varies.
Sorry meant to say the Red Robin was the exception . In NJ at other restaurants it is ok for children in the bar/lounge area as long as they are at a table and not sitting at the bar

Again--just last night saw two children sitting at the bar at Applebees in York.

And it's very common at WDW--Raglan Road is another example where we saw actual TODDLERS sitting at the bar while the parents ate and drank.

It seems like all the grocery stores here have 100% carding. The weird thing about Wegmans wasn't that they carded, but that they refused to sell a 6 pack to my 23 year old because my teen was with her, even though she had ID. They sell the alcohol in their Market Cafe (food court) and use the same checkout line for food and we occasionally stop to grab something to take home, so its not even like my 23 year old took a teen into a place that sells only alcohol. (like a liquor store) They were buying food to take home, too. I don't think its right to assume that every young adult may be purchasing alcohol for a minor if they happen to be together.

It was Wegmans. In our Weis, everyone purchasing alcohol needs to have their ID scanned before you pay and they never make an exception.

I'm extremely jealous. We don't have a Wegmans in my area. There is one by my dentists office and I'm probably the only person who ever gets excited about going to the dentist so I can stop by Wegmans on the way home.

What is the policy in the bars in WDW? We're over from the UK in Aug 17 and on previous trips have organised a date night where DH and I could have a couple of cocktails ahead of a signature meal. As our children will be 13 and 11 this trip they claim that they are too old for a sitter or kids club (although I think that secretly they'd both love to go back to Peter Pan's club in the Poly). Will we be able to pop into somewhere for drinks. and if so, any suggestions?

What is the policy in the bars in WDW? We're over from the UK in Aug 17 and on previous trips have organised a date night where DH and I could have a couple of cocktails ahead of a signature meal. As our children will be 13 and 11 this trip they claim that they are too old for a sitter or kids club (although I think that secretly they'd both love to go back to Peter Pan's club in the Poly). Will we be able to pop into somewhere for drinks. and if so, any suggestions?
Have you planned your signature meal for this trip yet? If so, where will it be? Will you want to get drinks in that same resort?

At Disney, they've never had an issue with us having teens at a restaurant table while we were having drinks. And I've seen so many sitting at the bars that I usually find it nearly impossible to get a seat.

I wish Disney wouldn't let people under 21 sit directly at the bars - just so I can get a seat more often. LOL

You can bring them with you, no questions. We have DGD8 with us a lot of the time. She can, and does, go anywhere we go and we always order alcohol.

Yep--no problem with kids sitting at the bar or in the lounge. Now it might be that one of the NON-Disney restaurants might have their own policy against that, but I've not seen or heard of it.

I don't know what Florida state law is BUT in NJ/PA/DE/MD, there's a state law that says if someone at the table is under 21, there needs to be someone at the table who is over 25 in order for adults of legal age to be served alcohol.

What that means is that if there's people at the table who are say, 20 & 22 - the 22 year old cannot legally be served alcohol.

If there is someone 20, 22 &25 - then the 22 and 25 year olds can legally be served alcohol.

The reasoning behind this is that there are laws about an individual legally an adult at 25 (whereas some of the laws are more lenient when under 25 - and you'd have to check with your state as to which one). Ergo, the 25 year old is old enough to be legally responsible for the welfare of the person who is under 21; but the 22 year old person is not, so therefore can't be served alcohol.

But again - I don't know what Florida laws specifically say.

I'm not saying I think you're wrong, because I really don't know, but I've lived in MD all my life (and went to college in Delaware) and have never heard of this. I was the baby of my friend group (didn't turn 21 until a full year later than everyone else), and my age never stopped anyone at my table from being served. And they were all 21 or 22, not 25. I suppose that law must not be enforced too regularly.

I live in the D.C. area and spent many a summers in Ocean City, Md., I've never once seen that law enforced. Not once.

Wegman's would not let my son buy alcohol when his younger brother was with him. I had to go in.

In Disney, they have proofed my sons many times. They always served the older ones, but I was with them. When my son went to buy alcohol at a kiosk in WS, with his younger brother, they would not serve him at all (the older one). They wanted them both to have IDs. So I guess ymmv.

Regardless, it's still a law, whether or not certain restaurant workers enforced it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter