Will an underage guest at a table with of age guest be carded if alcohol is ordered?

Everyone, just remember that here in the US, the drinking age is 21 in all states but the states control the rules. And no state has to have the age at 21 but if they don't have it at that age, they won't get federal funds for road improvements. It's not a federal law that the drinking age is 21.

As far as I have experienced at Disney World with having various members of family at tables (especially at the Biergarten where most of the table has drinks), the under 21 crowd will not be carded.

Also remember that it's a good idea for all members of your party to carry photo ID at all times.

Seems ridiculous that they would do that but sometimes they do. My local grocery store cards me all the time when I'm shopping with my mom and she's purchasing alcohal. Of course, I'm over 21 but for some reason I still get carded. Another thing- if anyone is over 21 but still has an under 21 driver's liscence, I would get it switched before you go on your trip. My friend wasn't allowed to buy alcohal one time even though she was of age because some places don't accept under age out of state cards. It's dumb but some places have policies like that! Not saying Disney does though.

As others have already said, those who are underage and not ordering alcoholic drinks will not be required to show an ID BUT the rest of your party that does order alcoholic drinks should definitely expect to be carded so remember those ID's.

As others have already said, those who are underage and not ordering alcoholic drinks will not be required to show an ID BUT the rest of your party that does order alcoholic drinks should definitely expect to be carded so remember those ID's.

1) There is a way around this.
2) Have the person ask for a 3-foot-long straw.
:cool1:

In Florida, if bartenders thinks you are under a certain age they are required to ask for an ID. The gray area is the "think" part.
In the theme parks and many other types of bars, if you order a drink for yourself, they may ask for an ID. If you order two drinks, they will want to see the second person to verify their age.

However, there is no requirement that a place has to offer service. If their policy is that we don't serve drinks to mixed parties (i.e. people of legal age and not) then that is the restaurants right.

I don't know what Florida state law is BUT in NJ/PA/DE/MD, there's a state law that says if someone at the table is under 21, there needs to be someone at the table who is over 25 in order for adults of legal age to be served alcohol.

What that means is that if there's people at the table who are say, 20 & 22 - the 22 year old cannot legally be served alcohol.

If there is someone 20, 22 &25 - then the 22 and 25 year olds can legally be served alcohol.

The reasoning behind this is that there are laws about an individual legally an adult at 25 (whereas some of the laws are more lenient when under 25 - and you'd have to check with your state as to which one). Ergo, the 25 year old is old enough to be legally responsible for the welfare of the person who is under 21; but the 22 year old person is not, so therefore can't be served alcohol.

But again - I don't know what Florida laws specifically say.

I'm not saying I think you're wrong, because I really don't know, but I've lived in MD all my life (and went to college in Delaware) and have never heard of this. I was the baby of my friend group (didn't turn 21 until a full year later than everyone else), and my age never stopped anyone at my table from being served. And they were all 21 or 22, not 25. I suppose that law must not be enforced too regularly.

I'm an not a lawyer, but.....

Each state has different laws which apply to the person who 'provides' (has control of) the alcohol.

How these laws are written and enforced vary from state to state.

But here's the gist of it - most us us agree that establishments that serve alcohol have some requirement for 'Carding' their patron who may seem to be at or near the 21 years of age threshold (some places card everyone).

If you are over the age of 21 and do not appear to be already intoxicated - an establishment may chose to 'provide' alcohol to you in accordance with those state laws.

Now the so-called 'grey area' - who is responsible for allowing an underage person to access alcohol which has been legally served/purchased?

In my home state of NY - the adult who purchased the alcohol is responsible for the alcohol.

The reminder is, "Those who host, lose the most."

So yes, alcohol can be served at a table with an 'underage' person, but allow that underage person to drink and an over-21 adult can be guilty of a crime. Some establishments may chose to not serve a table with mixed ages for fear of a potential violation of law - like the example by the OP.

In other words, if an establishment that has the liquor license to serve alcohol believes there is a potential for abuse - they may chose to not serve anyone at that table for fear that liquor laws will be violated. Judgement calls by the 'Establishments' to refuse service also happen if a patron appears intoxicated. An Establishment has NO OBLIGATION to serve alcohol if they do so because they believe there can be a potential violation of liquor laws.

My read - Florida has very loose laws on the matter.

Look and act responsible, folks will likely be served. Act loud and stupid (even without any alcohol on the table) and don't be surprised if alcohol service is refused.

From different reports Disney is very strict on carding. As in if you do not have a valid ID, regardless of your age you will not be served

just for fun, I have read many times foreign drivers licenses were rejected and passports required

as always, YMMV

In Florida, if bartenders thinks you are under a certain age they are required to ask for an ID. The gray area is the "think" part.

I recall back in the days when Pleasure Island existing, there was a sign before you entered that stated that if you looked under 30, you could be carded.

From different reports Disney is very strict on carding. As in if you do not have a valid ID, regardless of your age you will not be served

just for fun, I have read many times foreign drivers licenses were rejected and passports required

as always, YMMV

According to what I believe is Florida law and a sign that I saw in one of the bars at WDW last week, non-US residents must show a passport as ID (or, I think, a Nexus card), no driver's license will be accepted. Only US residents may show a driver's license. Having said that, I haven't ever been asked for ID at Disney except once entering Pleasure Island when I was 27. At that time they accepted a birth certificate and Canadian government photo ID (I didn't have a driver's license then). Oddly, I wasn't even carded when I was there at age 22. I believe that they've become more stringent over the years due to state laws, but I think that if you look over 30, they won't ask although they have the right, and technically the obligation, to do so.

Only if you order a bottle of wine and seven glasses.
:cool1:

Yes. Or as I said earlier, if someone who did NOT order a drink is observed by the server or management to be drinking from an alcoholic beverage, I would strongly suspect there is a good chance the entire table would be carded and if in fact the person drinking was underage the entire table could be refused further alcohol service and have the drinks removed from the table.

From Pennsylvania perhaps? In PA, York County, at least, you can't order alcohol if someone at the table is under 21.

Anyway - you'll be fine. Only those who order a drink will be carded.

I don't know what Florida state law is BUT in NJ/PA/DE/MD, there's a state law that says if someone at the table is under 21, there needs to be someone at the table who is over 25 in order for adults of legal age to be served alcohol.

What that means is that if there's people at the table who are say, 20 & 22 - the 22 year old cannot legally be served alcohol.

If there is someone 20, 22 &25 - then the 22 and 25 year olds can legally be served alcohol.

The reasoning behind this is that there are laws about an individual legally an adult at 25 (whereas some of the laws are more lenient when under 25 - and you'd have to check with your state as to which one). Ergo, the 25 year old is old enough to be legally responsible for the welfare of the person who is under 21; but the 22 year old person is not, so therefore can't be served alcohol.

But again - I don't know what Florida laws specifically say.

SMH.

From Pennsylvania perhaps? In PA, York County, at least, you can't order alcohol if someone at the table is under 21.

I'm in Snyder county, PA (35 miles NW of Hburg). I've been served alcohol with my kids at the table so they aren't too strict. I wonder if it will make a difference when my kids are a little older (right now they are 11 and 7).

Well--we eat at the bars at many restaurants in York Co and have seen CHILDREN seated AT the bar while the parents got drinks!! Not to mention at a table---

Happened just last week at Ruby Tuesdays in Shrewsbury...

I'm in Snyder county, PA (35 miles NW of Hburg). I've been served alcohol with my kids at the table so they aren't too strict. I wonder if it will make a difference when my kids are a little older (right now they are 11 and 7).
Well--we eat at the bars at many restaurants in York Co and have seen CHILDREN seated AT the bar while the parents got drinks!! Not to mention at a table---

Happened just last week at Ruby Tuesdays in Shrewsbury...

Good ol' York... Why did I know that?!?

I meant more along the lines of a group of older people, let's say in their 20s, will all be carded. If someone is under 21 they won't be served.

I went to York College. I'm guessing it was done moreso to prevent college kids from taking advantage of the system. I miss that place... kind of.

In New York, anyone under 21 sitting at a bar is a BIG BIG No-No. So big that if an inspector walks in, the bar could lose its liquor license. I remember as a kid sitting next to my uncle and the bartender FLIPPED.

We see kids who to me look 10 years old or under--sitting at the bar with their parents in York Co restaurants all the time.

And the same at WDW!!! Last trip to Narcoosee's we ate at the bar next to a family with THREE kids all of whom were almost too small to sit on the bar chairs!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter