Wine and Dine 2015

I think @flatlandcycle gets the award for most painful long run....lol

Seriously, here I am bit...er....griping about my long run-at least it wasn't circles! How the heck do you not start feeling like a hamster on a wheel or like one of the griswald kids (definitely I just dated myself there) "look kids, there's big ben!"

Well, my long run did not go too stellar today; 4.5 miles in and I started feeling a sharp pain in my lower right back every time I took a step with my right leg which I tried to stretch out but it didn't help. I ended up having to call it a day to avoid aggravating it further and hobbled back to my car. I'm really hoping I wake up tomorrow feeling magically better :scared: I've already had too much injury/sick time while prepping for this race I really don't need more this close to the date!

Well, my long run did not go too stellar today; 4.5 miles in and I started feeling a sharp pain in my lower right back every time I took a step with my right leg which I tried to stretch out but it didn't help. I ended up having to call it a day to avoid aggravating it further and hobbled back to my car. I'm really hoping I wake up tomorrow feeling magically better :scared: I've already had too much injury/sick time while prepping for this race I really don't need more this close to the date!

I had the same type of issues last week on my long run. Was planning on doing my 13.1 last week and getting upto 14 this week, but after about 8 miles I was having issues with my back every other stride. Called it quits at 10. I was fine a couple days later. Skipped one of my maintenance runs and was able to do my full long run today. I think I had over exerted myself the previous week with my normal runs and doing 2 races in one day, It was only 7 miles overall but I felt worse than I did after my 10 mile race in August. I am still learning how my body feels about this whole running thing. :bored:

I had the same type of issues last week on my long run. Was planning on doing my 13.1 last week and getting upto 14 this week, but after about 8 miles I was having issues with my back every other stride. Called it quits at 10. I was fine a couple days later. Skipped one of my maintenance runs and was able to do my full long run today. I think I had over exerted myself the previous week with my normal runs and doing 2 races in one day, It was only 7 miles overall but I felt worse than I did after my 10 mile race in August. I am still learning how my body feels about this whole running thing. :bored:

Good to hear! Gives me hope that it should heal up quickly and I'll be able to try again next week for my full long run :yay:

I think @flatlandcycle gets the award for most painful long run....lol

Seriously, here I am bit...er....griping about my long run-at least it wasn't circles! How the heck do you not start feeling like a hamster on a wheel or like one of the griswald kids (definitely I just dated myself there) "look kids, there's big ben!"

That was from 6 X 1 mile repeats at Lactate Threshold. There is no way I was doing 17 miles on a track. "This isn't Wally World, it's a country."
I bet you get the Vacation Infinity Commercial. "A Blond in a Convertible, Seriously? Who want's to go to Wally World?

A question on the welcome reception. I was reading through the booklet and the event transportation doesn't start til the following day. Is there even a way to get to WWoS on Disney's normal transportation?

A question on the welcome reception. I was reading through the booklet and the event transportation doesn't start til the following day. Is there even a way to get to WWoS on Disney's normal transportation?
Bus runs from the All-Stars, Caribbean, and Pop Century on a limited schedule normally.

Okay, I have a serious question to ask. Without anyone thinking I'm trying to be offensive, can anyone give me an idea on if they think I will have to do a significant amount of dodging during the race if my pace has improved by two minutes a mile based on where my corral is?

I'm not going to fight my corral placement because after all it is relatively valid based on where my running was when I submitted proof of time, the problem is is that I have improved enough that my finish time now actually puts me at the beginning of two corrals ahead of where I am currently.

Is this something that I should be worried about? I've heard that having to do a significant portion of dodging can actually flareup IT bands, runners knee, etc.

I know it sounds stupid; totally first world problem-ish but this is my only worry going into the race. I'm in H (which is apparently where the party is at :D) but based on my last few long run training times I should be towards the beginning of F.

Am I being silly, or could this cause me problems on race day? This is my first half marathon and my first Disney event, so I don't know what to expect and I think that's what's got me running in circles right now LOL

Thanks guys for understanding!

Once you get onto Osceola Parkway, the roadway is pretty wide and doesn't really narrow down until going into and through Animal Kingdom, where upon exiting it opens back up again until turning onto Sarge's hill. From there on it doesn't really open up but does narrow down even more at some points (running from Hollywood Studio's parking lot to the Dolphin for example). If you pass people during the wider, more open areas, it shouldn't be much of an issue. If you have to dodge and dart in the narrower sections of the course, it can get a we bit taxing.

Okay, I have a serious question to ask. Without anyone thinking I'm trying to be offensive, can anyone give me an idea on if they think I will have to do a significant amount of dodging during the race if my pace has improved by two minutes a mile based on where my corral is?

I think your best bet is to be at the very front of your corral (like the first row or two of people). That should give you a clear start and a bit of time before you reach the back of the corral in front of you. By then, you should have a bit more space on Osceola Parkway.

Yeah, I would say just try and get as close to the start as you can.

I did do a lot of dodging at Tink... an extra 0.5 mile worth. I was in G, the last corral, because I had no PoT, when I should have been probably around D based on my run speed (the corrals are much slower at that one, D was the < 3:10 corral). I think that it won't be as bad dodging from a middle corral as it would be if you were at the back. While the people may be running slower than you, most of them will hopefully be running. :) The main issue I had at Tink was dodging packs of walkers who were walking 4 and 5 across.

I'm not going to fight my corral placement because after all it is relatively valid based on where my running was when I submitted proof of time, the problem is is that I have improved enough that my finish time now actually puts me at the beginning of two corrals ahead of where I am currently.

Is this something that I should be worried about? I've heard that having to do a significant portion of dodging can actually flareup IT bands, runners knee, etc.

I know it sounds stupid; totally first world problem-ish but this is my only worry going into the race. I'm in H (which is apparently where the party is at :D) but based on my last few long run training times I should be towards the beginning of F.

Am I being silly, or could this cause me problems on race day? This is my first half marathon and my first Disney event, so I don't know what to expect and I think that's what's got me running in circles right now LOL

Thanks guys for understanding!
I agree with opusone and Miranda.

Here are a few more pointers. For corral H you most likely will have some walkers seeded with you. Since you are now running 11:00-minute-miles, behind them isn't a place for you. This being a first 1/2 event you are likely to go out too fast so you will need to hold back. I still have trouble keeping that first mile in check. (edit- I self seed mid corral to keep the brakes on.) Get your restroom business done early and often, you don't want to be trapped up front in the corral and need to go. This advice is for everyone, the lines at the first set of potties, at like mile 1-2 are going to be long. Don't get forced into using the restroom while on the clock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter