Wine and Dine 2015

Definitely a little concerned about having to weave too much. Not worried about time, but I added too much extra distance trying to get around people during my first half marathon. Just going to try to be patient if I get caught in a jam. (Fear emotion jumps in: But what if they beat me to a character line!?)

Bahahhaa I have been trying to keep calm about pacing, telling myself that it's not a serious race. It's my first half and I'm doing it for fun rather than for time.. but then I'm like I WANT CHARACTER PICTURES!! hahaha. Just going to have to run it out and see what happens! Either way I'm excited. Can someone post a link to the Corrals again? I can't remember which one I'm in. Thanks!

Okay, I have a serious question to ask. Without anyone thinking I'm trying to be offensive, can anyone give me an idea on if they think I will have to do a significant amount of dodging during the race if my pace has improved by two minutes a mile based on where my corral is?

I'm not going to fight my corral placement because after all it is relatively valid based on where my running was when I submitted proof of time, the problem is is that I have improved enough that my finish time now actually puts me at the beginning of two corrals ahead of where I am currently.

Is this something that I should be worried about? I've heard that having to do a significant portion of dodging can actually flareup IT bands, runners knee, etc.

I know it sounds stupid; totally first world problem-ish but this is my only worry going into the race. I'm in H (which is apparently where the party is at :D) but based on my last few long run training times I should be towards the beginning of F.

Am I being silly, or could this cause me problems on race day? This is my first half marathon and my first Disney event, so I don't know what to expect and I think that's what's got me running in circles right now LOL

Thanks guys for understanding!

My take on this is first we party in H. I am in H!!!

Seriously I run on the outside edge of the roadway camber all the time. I will switch sides about every 1/3 mile to not beat up the joints. I train this way around my neighborhood.

I have done 2 Tower runs, 2 half's and a full at Disney like this. Anytime on Osceola, World Dr or the service roads i am out there. (Insert out there comments now :rotfl2:) There are very few runners out there. Very little weaving since everyone wants to be on flat center of the road as much as possible.

Something to think about.

I thought I'd do a PSA on something I haven't seen on here yet. When running on the parkways and highways watch out for the yellow lane dividers! I have seen way too many runners at Disney races not pay attention to those yellow reflectors because they don't think they will cause issues. Well let me tell you when you bust your butt on one you will have wished you were paying attention.

Also watch out for cones! They can sneak up on you. I fell on one before mile 1 at Avengers and had a nasty bruise the rest of the race. Funny enough I got a PR.

I thought I'd do a PSA on something I haven't seen on here yet. When running on the parkways and highways watch out for the yellow lane dividers! I have seen way too many runners at Disney races not pay attention to those yellow reflectors because they don't think they will cause issues. Well let me tell you when you bust your butt on one you will have wished you were paying attention.

Also watch out for cones! They can sneak up on you. I fell on one before mile 1 at Avengers and had a nasty bruise the rest of the race. Funny enough I got a PR.

Along with the reflectors any of the road paint between lanes our out on edge can be tricky if road is wet.

First, I will add on and also mention the speed bumps! They sneak up on you when you are in the zone. I have not run this course yet, but they have been on all the other disney courses I have run.

Okay, I have a serious question to ask. Without anyone thinking I'm trying to be offensive, can anyone give me an idea on if they think I will have to do a significant amount of dodging during the race if my pace has improved by two minutes a mile based on where my corral is?

I'm not going to fight my corral placement because after all it is relatively valid based on where my running was when I submitted proof of time, the problem is is that I have improved enough that my finish time now actually puts me at the beginning of two corrals ahead of where I am currently.

Is this something that I should be worried about? I've heard that having to do a significant portion of dodging can actually flareup IT bands, runners knee, etc.

I know it sounds stupid; totally first world problem-ish but this is my only worry going into the race. I'm in H (which is apparently where the party is at :D) but based on my last few long run training times I should be towards the beginning of F.

Am I being silly, or could this cause me problems on race day? This is my first half marathon and my first Disney event, so I don't know what to expect and I think that's what's got me running in circles right now LOL

Thanks guys for understanding!

I am also in H but will finish around 2:25-2:30 since my POT was PHM that included photos and the dreaded potty stop. There are usually faster runners in each corral since we have to submit POT pretty early in training. So, you certainly will not be alone. Also keep in mind that H bib numbers are around the 6000 mark. So, at that point only about 1/3 or so of the runners will be on course.

Just curious, did anybody receive their gift card yet?

The website says that "gift cards will be mailed 3 weeks prior to the event." So if they were on time, that would have been Friday or Saturday. I would likely suspect that if we don't start seeing some in mailboxes by midweek, then Brian will be correct.

I can understand their logic behind mailing out the gift cards, but it sure does seem like it would be an awful headache for runners who didn't get them in the mail (both on the inconvenience side for the runner and the logistics/paperwork side of runDisney, because imagine how long the "We didn't get our Gift Card" line will be and probably only staffed by two people--and we thought the merch lines got long.....)

At this point, I really don't see another option.

Or why they tried to change it anyway. This part actually worked.

Brian

First, I will add on and also mention the speed bumps! They sneak up on you when you are in the zone. I have not run this course yet, but they have been on all the other disney courses I have run.

Even being in "the zone" how the heck do you miss the CONSTANT "Caution Runners! Speed bumps ahead!" on repeat over and over and over????? Sounds like a zone with music up way too loud to hear anything going on around you to me.

I was worried b/c DH ran this race in 2011. That was back when corral placement relied more on your reporting of how long it'd take you to finish. He finished in 2:11. His non Disney halves were all sub 2:00 runs. He said he was seeded with people who walked across the start. And kept walking. His biggest complaint was spending approximately 2 miles dodging folks. And I guess that was back when AK paths weren't well lit; so he had issues running through there as well. So I thought to myself, oh god, am I going to go through that?

That sounds pretty much like my experience with the 2012 ToT. It was my first race back after about a decade of not running and my training times had me faster than my corral seeding. Thinking most folks were honest back then (silly me), I thought how bad could it be and decided against changing corrals. I ran from the front of my corral and a little before the first mile mark I caught the tail end of the corral in front of me. Groups of people walking 5-6 abreast covering most of the space across Osceola, it was horrible. After about 2 miles of constantly weaving and saying "on your left", "on your right", and "excuse me", the crowd thinned out enough to run normally. I was thrilled when they changed the corral system for the following ToT and other Disney races I have been in since then.

I can also say beware of the grass, especially in the dark, it only took the 2nd of three steps on the grass in that first ToT to roll me ankle.

First time to Wine & Dine Half. First half, too! Can anyone tell me what happens at the end? Where does the race end exactly? Should I leave my change bag with the race folks or with my husband? I'm sure I'll have more soon!

First time to Wine & Dine Half. First half, too! Can anyone tell me what happens at the end? Where does the race end exactly? Should I leave my change bag with the race folks or with my husband? I'm sure I'll have more soon!

The race will end outside of Epcot with a short walk to the front entrance. Where to leave your bag depends on your finish time. They have improved the bag pickup since the beginning of this race, but if you will finish around the average time of 2 hours 30 mins, I would recommend to have your husband keep it. My wife and I will leave drop our bags since we both run, but pack a wash cloth and hand towel to wash up a bit in the bathrooms once inside the park.

I only recently started following this thread and I'm glad I did. I love hearing everyone's accomplishment/stories, especially as we get close. You are all doing great!

I'm hoping for 1 last long run this weekend, possibly 13-14 miles. I usually wouldn't do that much training for a 1/2 (this my 3rd) but I'm also training for the full in January(my first), and I feel I'm behind on that training, while trying to stay healthy and uninjured for this. I'm thinking doing both wasn't a good idea. ;)

I think the training for the full is more important. Just don't push yourself too hard during this race. You don't want to have to take a few weeks off training because you over did it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter