• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Winter Olympics

Yeah, I know, shocking! By the way, why the hell would you need to be doping in curling?? Seriously?

If his B sample comes back positive and their medal is taken away, would the loser of their match get it? Or would it become vacant?

I know in individual competition everybody below moves up a notch, but not sure how it works in team sports.

If his B sample comes back positive and their medal is taken away, would the loser of their match get it? Or would it become vacant?

I know in individual competition everybody below moves up a notch, but not sure how it works in team sports.
Not sure how it works either, but logically, it would seem the most fair if they replayed the bronze final with the team that finished the round-robin in 5th. That team would have (ostensibly) made the final if the cheaters weren't in the competition at all. I'm not sure how they could go about vacating the results of all OAR's match-ups but they could at least go back to the medal round.

Watching snowboard big air competition last night gave a pretty good perspective on how 'artificial' the Olympic venues really are. They just built a huge tower and froze some snow to the ramp for that event. :crazy:

Yep, that wardrobe malfunction knocked them down to the second breast score of the evening.
Or got bonus points to achieve the second spot.

I saw the nipple flash last night and was really surprised it got shown. CBC says they are using the local feed and have no control but will edit it out of any replay. I feel bad for the skater but I think the social media reaction is a bit much.
heard CBC did a slo-mo of the incident for viewers.

Watching snowboard big air competition last night gave a pretty good perspective on how 'artificial' the Olympic venues really are. They just built a huge tower and froze some snow to the ramp for that event. :crazy:

That was disappointing. Not only the venue, but the event itself. Just one jump and relatively bland maneuver. The halfpipe and slopestyle had a whole series of flashy tricks and jumps.

Or got bonus points to achieve the second spot.

heard CBC did a slo-mo of the incident for viewers.
No they didn't. There was a rather prolonged (5 seconds max.) view at the very end of the program, but at that point nobody really understood what they were seeing. It wasn't intentional in any way and not one peep was said by the commentators to draw any attention. They have also gone back and edited both "flashes" out of the re-cap footage.

That was disappointing. Not only the venue, but the event itself. Just one jump and relatively bland maneuver. The halfpipe and slopestyle had a whole series of flashy tricks and jumps.

My boys are both huge X Games fans - where Big Air (and Slopestyle) took off before becoming Olympic events. Both of them were disappointed in the competition, both in quality and format, this year so far. The format for Big Air in X Games is fun to watch, because they do it in a "jam session" format - meaning the competitors are given 15 minutes to land whatever tricks they want and the best two scores are added together for their total score. It's a rapid fire succession of jump after jump - much more fun to watch.

The 2 man bobsleigh final was amazing! To have a finish like that after 4 runs was incredible.

Even more amazing, that's the SECOND time Canada shared the gold medal in bobsled.

I was wondering if we'd see a tie in these Olympics. There usually is one or two.

I agree. DH and I were browsing the streaming events last night and the NBC site said prime time coverage would feature snowboarding big air event. Neither of us knew what it was so gave it a shot and after two runs we both agreed we had seen enough and turned it off. Just wasn't our cup of tea.

Most of the snow at all the venues has been made with snow making equipment. Take a look at the actual mountains in the back ground shots. What don't you see on them?

And did you notice the ski jumping competition? Now they go down the jump on tracks.

Last edited:
I agree. DH and I were browsing the streaming events last night and the NBC site said prime time coverage would feature snowboarding big air event. Neither of us knew what it was so gave it a shot and after two runs we both agreed we had seen enough and turned it off. Just wasn't our cup of tea.

Now that they have half pipe, snowcross, and slopestyle, big air for the boarders and aerials for the free style skiing seem rather boring in comparison.

Such a shame and I thought the costume was beautiful! Am I the only one that thinks they should get points for lovely colours and the tasteful use of bling? :goodvibes

Solidarity! That sucked for you guys. As long as you pose no threat to our curling medals, you have my full support! :thumbsup2
Australia-Canada.jpg

Curling. Bike Racing. I can't watch any more because of the doping scandals.

That is the second I’ve skater to have her costume come undone around the neck this olympics. That should never happen at this level of competition. They should design the costumes with style AND function in mind, practice in them to make sure they work properly, and then take extra precautions to prevent malfunctions from happening.

There was also some controversy in last night’s men’s aerials finals. Aerials is one of the few winter sports that Australia is good at and we had high hopes for a medal from David Morris who had plans to pull out a quintuple twisting triple in the final round.

In the first round of finals the top 9 qualified through to the second round with 3 athletes eliminated. Morris definitely did not have a fantastic landing, but kept it under control and stayed on his feet and just needed one more jumper to score lower than him to progress. A Chinese athlete also had a rough landing and then lost control completely and ended up falling after a few metres. However, the judges scored both athletes the same on landing and the Chinese athlete progressed through and ended up winning a silver medal while the Aussie was eliminated.

Naturally, every Australian is now an armchair expert and we are all outraged! >:(

I can't believe the guy who crashed made it through. Of course the Chinese are up in arms about our guy winning in another event on his final run.

No matter the event, the judges always come in with a pre ordained idea of who is the best. And they often indeed are. But when they aren't the judges often judge these events to some extent as they should have happened on paper rather than how they actually happened.

I'm not liking some of the Survivor type formats where we cut two or cut three. Just do 3 runs take the best one. It's quicker. It's better and more fun for both competitors and fans and people will try more stuff.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter