Wish Trip Planning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to SueM in MN for these helpful Disneyland links:

Besides what I posted on the Passporter Board where I first met you, here are some threads from the DIS site's Disneyland Board that should be helfpful:
-Must do rides for Little Ones

-Disneyland with a 9 month old, which includes people talking about which rides a small child can be held on

-Disneyland with Toddlers

-Disneyland for a 3yr old and a 5yr old. (I know this won't help with your questions about your granddaughter riding on the lap, but it is a good overview of attractions a young child would enjoy).

-Keeping baby cool (WDW in June, but may have some helpful hints)

-Guest Assistance Cards at Disneyland

-Disneyland Rides with low waits

Hope you are able to find some helpful info in at least some of these.
I will look at the actual Disneyland site later today or tomorrow to see what further help I can give you.

I'm here :)

I had my Wish Trip when I was 6 years old, and now I'm 14! (almost 15)

So, it's been a looooooooooong time.

Still, it was great fun. MAW has been great to us. I still volunteer there sometimes. I actually (not meaning to brag here) got a NATIONAL AWARD for my community service with them!!

:) :) :) :) :)

I'm happy to talk to anyone here who has questions :D

I have found a CM at Disney Hollywood Studios who wants to help spread pixie dust by sending postcards from WDW characters to Wish Trip Kids before their trips. Her name is Tara Laine (both together are her first name). She is a photopass photographer. You can PM her as smatterchu.

Hurray for great CMs like Tara Laine.

Bill

If you are going on a Wish Trip to Give Kids the World Village, I would advise you to wait until after your trip to buy things from the online gift shop. Wait to see what you will be given for free. After you have returned from the trip, you can order online. Proceeds benefit the Village. Mention to the staff at the House of Hearts that you would like to use the on line gift shop upon your return home, they might have some helpful information for you.

Bill

I FINALLY figured out the quick and easy way to paste a link to another thread or website in a post.

FIRST: Copy the url from the address bar at the top of your window when on the site or thread you want to link to.

SECOND: Type your text for the post, including the title of what you are linking to (can you believe an English major is ending sentences with "to?").

THIRD: Highlight the title in your text.

FOURTH: Click the globe icon at the top of the text window.

FIFTH: Paste your url into the link window that pops up. Then choose "OK."

Let's see, have I somehow managed to make this more complicated than it needs to be? I hope not. I have this habit of arranging everything in the world into "___ easy steps."

Bill

Working on our Wish Trip Planning:

Here are some questions for you fellow Wish trippers:

Earlier in the week we received a bit of bad news from our Wish Granter, Erin. She told us that it was determined that once we check out of GKTW any tickets that we did not use will have to be given back. We only have four full days at Give Kids the World before we check out, but they give you tickets to see seven parks. We knew there was no way we could accomplish this but didn’t want to pass up the once in a lifetime opportunity to see all these parks (not to mention our kids are ride junkies). Hence, the extension. Any other wish trippers out there have any experience with keeping their tickets during their “extended” portion of the stay?

Will we at least be able to keep a ticket to see a park the day we are checking out?

The weekly Christmas celebration at GKTW takes place the day that we check out. Does anyone know if we will be able to participate in the festivities this evening even though we will be "checked out" of our villa?

Should we book a Fantasmic dinner package or can Wish kids use the special side entrance for Fantasmic to the reserved seating area?

Should we purchase the Universal Express passes ($19.99 each) Since Brian and I would like to do a couple of the adult rides like Mummy and Hulk.

Does Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure have a Wish Loung (like the ones at Magic Kingdom and Epcot) that we can use to recharge and get the kids naps. Does Disney Studios have one?

Did any of you fellow wish Trippers need to use Fast Pass? Especially if you did an adult ride without your “wish kid?”

We are planning to purchase tickets to Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party as Make A Wish has told us this is not something they do.

Erin told us that the Florida chapter will make arrangements for Sebastian to meet with one special character. We told them it was no question: Buzz Lightyear! We are wondering what to expect. Anyone have any experiences with Make A Wish coordinating a specific character meet and greet for them?

We also told Make A Wish that we would like to eat at Chef Mickey’s the first day that we arrive since we won’t be visiting a park on this day. Anyone have experience with Make A Wish coordinating a character meal for them?

Amber- you mentioned only having four days at GKTW- did I miss something- are you driving down or staying somewhere else for the rest of your trip? I thought a GKTW Wish trip was an entire week so I'm sorry either way that you don't have the full time. I don't have any experience with GKTW as my son's wish trip wasn't to Disney ( we live only 30 min away and he's had lots of fun already at WDW.) I do know each chapter is different and so the policies about extending the tickets or allowing you to keep them may vary or this may be a GKTW policy. The wish kids are only able to wear their "buttons" during the trip itself and use the special GAC during their trip so perhaps due to the constraints of the ticket donors they also can't be used after the trip. Hopefully someone else who DOES know more than me will chime in but I wanted to wish you a magical trip. Loved the photo of Sebastian...oh...I mean BUZZ!---Kathy

For accurate information on GAC's please review SueM in MN's post on Wish Trip info on the disABILITIES board. It is near the top of the list of threads.

Although we were not asked to return our Make a Wish or GKTW buttons so that we kept them for souvenirs (and to wear on the flight home, which resulted in some very special treatment from Alaska Airlines), the GAC is what actually allows for the accomodations in the parks. Obtain another GAC when you begin the extended (on your own dime) portion of the trip. The GAC is obtained from Guest Services outside or inside the park entrances at WDW. It cannot be obtained in advance.

I still think that tickets can be used on the day you check out of GKTW, but you should clarify that by contacting GKTW. Leave a message on their machine with your specific question. Mention that it is important for your trip planning to know.

Bill

I could just cry....

I just got off the phone with Disney's Advance Dining Reservations. I was trying to make reservations for Sebastian's Wish Trip December 6th-14th 2008(five months from now!) and NOT ONE of the meals I was trying to make a reservation for had any availability. I tried explaining that this was a Make A Wish trip. Still Nothing. I know I could wait and try for to get worked in to a restaurant once we arrive but that's just not how I operate.

I tried for any of the following:
Dinner Chef Mickey's Saturday, December 6th
Donald's Safari Breakfast, Sunday December 7th
Dinner Liberty Tree, Sunday December 7th
Breakfast Hollywood and Vine Monday December 8th
Fantasmic Package Mama Melrose Dinner Monday December 8th
Late Lunch Cinderella’s Royal Table Tuesday, December 9th
Lunch the Garden Grill, Wednesday, December 10th
Late Lunch Cinderella’s Royal Table Wednesday, December 10th

I just can't believe that NONE would have anything during what is touted by countless books and websites as the least crowded time of year to visit.

When we went to Disney last October (a much more crowded time of year) I made all of our ADRs only a couple months in advance and we were able to book, Liberty Tree, Prime Time Cafe, Akershus Princess Meal, Sci Fi Drive In, Hollywood and Vine Fantasmic and Mickey's Back Yard BBQ.

I would suggest calling weekly. One important thing is 45 days out is when final payments are due on packages and a lot of people will cancel by then.

Another is that is Pop Warner week, with a lot of youth football and cheerleaders. Many people may be making reservations in anticipation of their child's team or squad attending, but will be cancelled if they don't qualify.

When trying to secure Advanced Dining Reservations:

Always call early.

If things are full, call back often. Cancellations happen for many reasons.

Call Guest Services in case they can help.

See Guest Services when you reach the park.

Ask for help in the Wish Lounge at MK.

Bill

Amber. I have sent several wish kids to Disney and there are some things that Make A Wish just can not help with. ADR's are one of them. Like several poster have already stated you should keep calling. People do cancel. You may also want to check out the December ADR trade thread on the DIS boards. Look for the December link.
The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
***New Cancel/Transfer/Trade*** Links Here!
Your best bet for specific Disney questions is the people at Give Kids THe World. They handle the Park part of your wish and are best equipped to answer your questions. Some of the "perks" (front of the line) that go along with the wish experience are not garunteed and your wish granters may not be able to answer questions about them. Keep in mind that while some things are not included (Mickeys Very Merry Christmas) you do get a pretty good per diem that can help cover this. I do not think there is a "wish lounge" at Universal. If you have any more questions let me know and I can try and answer them. Also, keep in mind that different MAW chapters can have different policies.

When trying to secure Advanced Dining Reservations:

Always call early.

If things are full, call back often. Cancellations happen for many reasons.

Call Guest Services in case they can help.

See Guest Services when you reach the park.

Ask for help in the Wish Lounge at MK.

Bill
I would do the other things Bill suggested first, but...
we have already gotten into 'full' places by stopping at the check in desk at the restaurant. If someone has a ADR and just doesn't show, at some point their time may become open. If you happen to check at the desk when the time opens up, you may get in.
Again, I'd try the other things first, but if there is a place you really want to eat and none of those work, it's worth a try.

Thanks so much for this info. I'm just starting to replan our DD's MAW trip. The trip was postponed since she got sick 2 days before we were supposed to leave. Now we can be better prepared.

I was dreading the midday meltdown, but knowing there's a wish lounge gives me another option! Thanks. :thumbsup2 :cheer2: :wave2:

I'm not sure how you found this since it is an older thread, but glad it was useful to you.:goodvibes

If you have not looked at the disABILITIES FAQs thread, check out post #3. There are some helpful links in there, especially the link to the WISH Trippers Unite thread.

Hope you have an awesome trip and it goes off without a hitch this time.

I'm not sure how you found this since it is an older thread, but glad it was useful to you.:goodvibes

If you have not looked at the disABILITIES FAQs thread, check out post #3. There are some helpful links in there, especially the link to the WISH Trippers Unite thread.

Hope you have an awesome trip and it goes off without a hitch this time.

This thread is a link on the Wish trippers unite thread! :)

I've been looking around and am getting a little confused between the MAW/GKTW buttons vs the GAC. Some Wish trip reports suggest that we almost *need* the GAC to get some kind of preferencial treatment (i.e. get to the head of the line). At this point, DD probably doesn't *need* the GAC. She is limited in her stamina due to 3 years of chemotherapy.

What kind of treatment should we expect the MAW/GKTW buttons to "get" for us? I'm sorry if this sounds crass, but I'm not sure what kind of accomodations we should be asking for/expecting. I have heard reports of CMs not knowing about these buttons and since we'll only ever have them this one week (fingers crossed) I would like to know what to expect (and what to request). :scratchin

Most cast member are people who love children and will go out of their way to make Wish children feel special. I read about a CM who only wears her pin trading lanyard around wish kids. That button is magical but has no real power like getting you to the head of a line or like the GAC but is magical because people at WDW love kids and especially care for Wish Kids.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1504402
page two has pictures of the village. Very detailed and long thread but read it as it will pretty much explain what is possible. No guarantee as things happen to one person may not happen to another.pixiedust:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w296/wendygrace1/Monday MK/Fantasyland/032_32.jpg
That is the boy with his Wish button

We walked out to the parade at 2:57 - starts at 3 and people start lining up an hour early to get a good seat. A cute little blond girl (named Aimee - I love that name) called us over and moved us up to the front row for good viewing. When Peter Pan came by, he pointed down at Michael (in his Peter Pan hat and overalls) and said, "Happy Birthday Michael!" You can imagine his reaction. (No imagining...here it is!)

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w296/wendygrace1/Monday MK/Meet And Greet/113_113.jpg
See how they are playing with the boy but also smothering with love the daughter.

GAC is for all guests. It lets the CM know that a person has a hidden disability. When in my ECV I do not need the GAC. If I waddle onto a ride then I need the GAC that says no stairs. My friend Calvin is hard of hearing so he gets the stamp for hearing and one for no stairs as he can walk good but not them stairs. Instead of a disabled person explaining 50 times what they need they just show the card and the CM will immediately know what to do.:grouphug:

This thread is a link on the Wish trippers unite thread! :)

I've been looking around and am getting a little confused between the MAW/GKTW buttons vs the GAC. Some Wish trip reports suggest that we almost *need* the GAC to get some kind of preferencial treatment (i.e. get to the head of the line). At this point, DD probably doesn't *need* the GAC. She is limited in her stamina due to 3 years of chemotherapy.

What kind of treatment should we expect the MAW/GKTW buttons to "get" for us? I'm sorry if this sounds crass, but I'm not sure what kind of accomodations we should be asking for/expecting. I have heard reports of CMs not knowing about these buttons and since we'll only ever have them this one week (fingers crossed) I would like to know what to expect (and what to request). :scratchin
The MAW button will get you noticed, but the GAC will specify what kind of accommodations you need. As you probably saw in the FAQs thread, accommodations are given based on needs. So, when you get your GAC explain your needs and they will give a GAC message/messages to try to meet those needs. Exactly what happens depends and may vary at each attraction.
Even with the same GAC at the same attraction on the same day, you may be treated differently because or things you can not see -like how busy it is, how many other people are waiting with special needs, etc.

Sad to say, there has been some abuse of MAW buttons in the past. Some people were reusing their buttons on every future trip and expecting the same treatment instead of understanding it was a once in a lifetime special button. That may be a simple misunderstanding and doesn't really make that much impact since for most people their MAW trip is a once in a lifetime trip. That's not what I'm talking about as abuse.

The real abuse was that some people were actually selling fake MAW buttons a few years back in areas near to WDW, but not actually on the property. People bought them for the special treatment the button brought. :sad1:
So, the important thing for getting the accommodations you need are your child's GAC and the MAW paperwork.
Sad to say,

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter