• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wonder how they'll spin this one.

Really? Then who are you suppose to call when you have a situation? The boogeyman?

This story disgusts me. The only thing that I've read so far is the police officer is a Somali-American and started on the force in 2015. There is way more to this story that will come out. The cop needs to be charged with murder.

Police get murder all the time. Too bad they don't make the news as much.

Here's a cop that was murdered not too long ago in NYC. She was a single mother raising 3 kids. She was sitting in a police van and a guy came up and shot her in the head.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/05/nypd-officer-shot-on-duty-in-critical-condition/

The two things that really have no relevance to this case and media use to use as a diversion - much like some of the posts on this thread.

Additional information to come out here is the officer is under investigation for two complaints (details currently unknown) and was successfully sued earlier this year for violating rights and use of force whilst in uniform.

I'm sure this thread will show you exactly how it'll be spun.

I'm waiting for the 'I thought the phone was a gun' line of defense given the media keep pointing out a phone on the ground.

I'm also interested if her pjs have pockets because that would mean the phone was in her hand. Also waiting for a statement from the second officer who (from accounts) was talking to her before his partner started firing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-...ta-policeman-had-two-years-experience/8717936

Will the 'boys' club adhere to 'fight club' rules? Why no body cameras turned on? Why so many shots fired? Why shoot across your partner? Why was this officer on the beat with complaints lodged against him?

I was already disgusted at the behaviour of (supposedly) trained professionals taking innocent lives of their own country wo/men but this takes the cake.

Moral: Don't call 911.

Yep. Don't ever call 911. :sad2: You realize how that sounds, right?

This is one of the most offensive posts I've ever seen on DIS, as the daughter of a man who served as a police officer and risked his life for the public with distinction for 28 years. Shameful, irresponsible generalizations.

Exactly.

Thank you. I had a far less nice response than yours ready to go but figured I'd get points for it.

I don't understand why everything has to be so either /or in these situations. It seems like people are in the "Police are evil/ Police are saints" category, when really, there are many, many police officers that are wonderful at their jobs. There are also a small percentage of officers that should not be wearing a badge. And sometimes there are good officers that make a bad mistake. It takes just one social justice warrior to spin a story to fit an agenda and get a whole nation of sheep to believe them. Whatever happened to critical thinking and independent thought?

I don't understand why everything has to be so either /or in these situations. It seems like people are in the "Police are evil/ Police are saints" category, when really, there are many, many police officers that are wonderful at their jobs. There are also a small percentage of officers that should not be wearing a badge. And sometimes there are good officers that make a bad mistake. It takes just one social justice warrior to spin a story to fit an agenda and get a whole nation of sheep to believe them. Whatever happened to critical thinking and independent thought?
This is where I fall.

Anyone with half a brain is against excessive use of use and/or MURDER.

You can support the police and be against corruption. You can be against corruption and support the police...

Like you said:
None of this is needs to be this or that or black and white. There is room for that gray area.

If the story is as plain as it seems there will be no "Thin Blue Line" of silence. There is no way to defend this situation and they know that.

The story has been this plain in other cases. And in those cases the blue wall was in full effect. I expect the same "rules" to apply now.

I'm waiting for all the dirt to come out on this woman. Surely someone has contacted her kindergarten teacher by now and found out that she was a candy bandit at the age of 5.

When will the media splash pictures of her out drinking and partying with her friends all over the place?

Did any of the officers instruct her to leave her home and approach their vehicles?

I'll add that supporting the corrupt/power hungry police actually puts the many excellent ones who truly want to serve and protect at much greater risk. Protecting those "bad apples" gives the impression that police, in general, are not to be trusted and "the enemy" which makes them more likely to be targets either directly, or means that when they approach someone they will be seen as a threat and therefore harmed.

Any job that puts people in a position of extreme power over othes (most notably police and teachers) is going to attract a decent number of power hungry individuals (in addition to those who just really feel drawn to helping/serving in that way and those who just find it a good paycheck for a job they're willing to do or education they're willing to get). A good police force (or school community) is going to work to find those people and weed them out of the profession and make sure they know that kind of behaviour will not be tolerated. As long as you are there protecting and sevring, yep, they should all have one another's backs---but the moment they quit doign their job and start bullying and harming, then they are not working as part of the unit anymore and the rest of the unit should speak up and have one another's backs and defend themselves from the taint of the corruption.

The two things that really have no relevance to this case and media use to use as a diversion - much like some of the posts on this thread.

Ah yes...the good ol' syndrome of "all opinions are welcome here, unless they don't agree with mine". I think your initial comments that throw a huge blanket over the police and that the moral of the story is that you shouldn't call 911 speaks volumes.

Additional information to come out here is the officer is under investigation for two complaints (details currently unknown) and was successfully sued earlier this year for violating rights and use of force whilst in uniform.

I think the fact that he has only been on the force since 2015 and already had 2 complaints against him is relevant.

I don't even know what to think, I cant wrap my head around a PO shooting across his partner and killing a woman in her PJs. What could he have possibly thought was a threat enough to do that?

I think the fact that he has only been on the force since 2015 and already had 2 complaints against him is relevant.

I don't even know what to think, I cant wrap my head around a PO shooting across his partner and killing a woman in her PJs. What could he have possibly thought was a threat enough to do that?

3 investigations. One is closed and not to be made to the public.

It was more his nationality that has no relevance but has been highly publicised which is more of the diversion - I've read comments tonight of people *claiming* it as a payback which has no substance whatsoever, in my mind.

I think there is a large amount of pessimism involved with people who don't trust any police at all. But the argument "not all cops are like this" when we are talking about an incident isn't helpful, either. Yes, not all cops are like this.

Does that mean there isn't a problem in the profession.

Obviously there is a serious problem in our police departments. Citizens shouldn't be afraid of the police, yet there's a significant portion of the population that is. There's a problem with police administrations where this kind of stuff happens. Like @rickybobby said about teachers: they aren't all perverts, but when you find out a teacher who had issues with students in the past gets hired in a different district, that's a problem in the industry. Pedophiles priests that can shipped overseas: that's a problem in the industry. Unarmed civilians (or legally armed civilians who haven't drawn their weapon) getting killed by the police: that's a problem with the industry. Doctors who work 26 hours straight and then make a mistake that costs a patient their life: That's a problem in the industry.

Last edited:
Ah yes...the good ol' syndrome of "all opinions are welcome here, unless they don't agree with mine". I think your initial comments that throw a huge blanket over the police and that the moral of the story is that you shouldn't call 911 speaks volumes.

Was sure that another recent police shooting was the result of the innocent person calling 911, actually think there were two cases. this isn't a once off.

And, I think consistently justifying the gunning down of innocent civilians speaks volumes....

Perhaps, let go of your pearls for a minute and answer the questions I asked? Why were the body cams turned off when it is policy to have them on? Why was the officer on the street with 2 open investigations? Why shoot over his partner when his partner was talking to Justine?

I think there is a large amount of pessimism involved with people who don't trust any police at all. But the argument "not all cops are like this" when we are talking about an incident aren't helpful, either. Yes, not all cops are like this.

Does that mean there isn't a problem in the profession.

Obviously there is a serious problem in our police departments. Citizens shouldn't be afraid of the police, yet there's a significant portion of the population that is. There's a problem with police administrations where this kind of stuff happens. Like @rickybobby said about teachers: they aren't all perverts, but when you find out a teacher who had issues with students in the past gets hired in a different district, that's a problem in the industry. Pedophiles priests that can shipped overseas: that's a problem in the industry. Unarmed civilians (or legally armed civilians who haven't drawn their weapon) getting killed by the police: that's a problem with the industry. Doctors who work 26 hours straight and then make a mistake that costs a patient their life: That's a problem in the industry.

that was my mistake in the OP. There really should have been a 'some' in there - I have a very good relationship with police, here in my own country, in the UK, and whenever I've traveled in the US.

But, I stand by what I said in the OP, and in subsequent posts. You cannot continually justify these actions.

(And if you want to decrease civilians gunning down officers, and other innocent people then the country needs to have a serious conversation about gun regulations).

That is a very broad generalization.

The good law enforcement does far outweighs the bad. The bad is just what so happens to be trendy to publicize and focus on right now.

ETA- A black, female officer was just gunned down in her patrol car. Where's the outrage over that? Oh right... Hazard of the job right?

Trendy or not, the training of officers and whether or not there are unfit officers left to patrol the streets is an important and legitimate discussion.
Officers being killed on duty is a separate issue. There is outrage over that lastest incident. I'm not really sure where you are going with bringing it up but it comes off as trying to deflect from the Minnesota shooting. It's a bit of a whataboutism.

Trendy or not, the training of officers and whether or not there are unfit officers left to patrol the streets is an important and legitimate discussion.
Officers being killed on duty is a separate issue. There is outrage over that lastest incident. I'm not really sure where you are going with bringing it up but it comes off as trying to deflect from the Minnesota shooting. It's a bit of a whataboutism.
You're right.

I guess the original post just rubbed me the wrong way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter