Wonder how they'll spin this one.

But when one seems to notice (be surprised enough to notice) the 'tone' of this thread....
It is the many comments like this, from page one, leading all the way thru to the 'tone' comment, that come to my mind.

If there are those who are so surprised, then, is the tone of this thread not proving them wrong.

I never thought it was surprising. It's actually exactly what I expected. Pretty white woman gets shot by black cop and the tone is completely different than black man shot by white cop.

And FTR I think this is such a sad incident and that cop needs to go to jail for murder.

Actually good cops snitch on the bad ones all the time. I used to work for a major Metropolitan police force and I can tell you that Internal Affairs received lots of tips from within the force.

Maybe where you are but not where I live. And if they do, the bad cops rarely make the news for what they did.

I never thought it was surprising. It's actually exactly what I expected. Pretty white woman gets shot by black cop and the tone is completely different than black man shot by white cop.

And FTR I think this is such a sad incident and that cop needs to go to jail for murder.
was it a black cop? That wasn't mentioned on my news and i haven'T goggled. Sigh. It was bad enough when I htought the only differences were the victim'S color (mostly) and gender (some, but we know black women still experience issues at a higher rate than white people).
I do think, sadly, that has a lot to do with the difference in tone.

As far as reporting overseas goes, I think the big issue here is that it was not an American who was shot.

I also think that the tone is different because there doesn't seem to be any wiggle room for the officer's reasoning to shoot her.

There has yet to be any discussion of:
"If she hadn't done that then he wouldn't have shot..." etc.

Yet.

I also think that the tone is different because there doesn't seem to be any wiggle room for the officer's reasoning to shoot her.

There has yet to be any discussion of:
"If she hadn't done that then he wouldn't have shot..." etc.

Yet.

I haven't heard much of "were her hands in view, did she make any sudden movements, did she identify herself, did she listen to the cops orders, was she holding anything that looked like a weapon, etc."

I know the media has a big hand in how things play out.

was it a black cop? That wasn't mentioned on my news and i haven'T goggled. Sigh. It was bad enough when I htought the only differences were the victim'S color (mostly) and gender (some, but we know black women still experience issues at a higher rate than white people).
I do think, sadly, that has a lot to do with the difference in tone.

As far as reporting overseas goes, I think the big issue here is that it was not an American who was shot.

Yes a black Somali Muslim. I've read the Muslim and Somali communities in the area are bracing for backlash but again, that's the media. I don't know how true that is.

I'm pro police because majority of our police force are good guys and they are the ones that maintain order in our society. However, I do agree that this was definitely a case where there is no reason to shot and kill this poor woman and the cop should have some type of legal responsibility for her death. I do think it is wrong to say the moral of this story is not to call 911 because majority of 911 calls actually helps the caller and not hurt them.

I refuse to judge the police. I can't even image what they must go through. I feel for the victim and her loved ones. I don't believe police are more then humans and humans make mistakes just like everyone else.

Well, given that a citizen of that same country was just killed by a police officer in our country. And given that the country, Australia, had a mass shooting and responded to it by severly limiting gun access to its citizens and the drop in gun related crime was clear and sustained---I think it is a bit reasonable to have an opinion.

If we refuse to even look at how other places do things, how can we possible learn and grow and properly evaluate how we do them?

^THIS!

I refuse to judge the police. I can't even image what they must go through. I feel for the victim and her loved ones. I don't believe police are more then humans and humans make mistakes just like everyone else.

And those bad police officers who are criminals (and they are a definite minority, I believe, but they just as definitely exist) count on people exactly like you to sit on their juries and find them not guilty when they murder somebody, either in cold blood or due to a criminally negligent mistake on their part.

I'm sorry, but I think your opinion is dangerous and leads to corruption and worse by those who are sworn to uphold the law.

And, when I make a mistake, I'm responsible for it. If I negligently discharge my firearm, and someone is killed, I'm going down for manslaughter. Because that's how it works. When mistakes are made, you accept responsibility for it, not run from it and refuse to be interviewed.

Well, given that a citizen of that same country was just killed by a police officer in our country. And given that the country, Australia, had a mass shooting and responded to it by severly limiting gun access to its citizens and the drop in gun related crime was clear and sustained---I think it is a bit reasonable to have an opinion.

If we refuse to even look at how other places do things, how can we possible learn and grow and properly evaluate how we do them?

Actually, there is a lot of conflicting information out there regarding the "drop in gun crime" Australia experienced after the ban. Current reports show it overall worse today than pre-ban. And let's face it, their rate of gun crime was extremely low to begin with, so data is easily skewed one way or the other by a single event or lack thereof.

I agree with the bolded, but why do you feel that excludes them from judgment?
The problem when Police officer's make mistakes is that innocent people are killed, and in some cases the police officer is not held responsible or accountable for that mistake. Some humans should never be police officers, whether that is because they are racists, or power hungry individuals or because they are too scared, or any number of other reasons. When those particular police officers "make a mistake" they, should most definitely be judged by those of us they are supposed to be protecting and serving.

My point is, slavery happened, slavery was ended by those same people. Mistake made, mistake rectified.
The poster I was responding to seems to have a hard accepting the second part.

Interesting perspective. Unbelievably historically inaccurate, but interesting.

First, "mistake made, mistake rectified" is a shockingly dismissive way to refer to the enslavement of a race and the genocide of their culture.

Second, while slavery was ended, the issues it caused were not "rectified" and many still echo today (look at recent court cases striking down congressional districts as racially biased because they were drawn to dilute the voting power of blacks).

Third, it was not the "same people." That is why there was a civil war. The people owning slaves wanted to keep them so a different group of people defeated them in war to end slavery. Yes, there were still some slaves in the Northern states that were freed independently, but the vast majority of slaves, in the South, were freed through military conquest. To say otherwise is like saying "the Germans freed the Jews after they were finished with WWII." It completely misrepresents what happened.

Too the above post.... OHHHH GOOD LORD!!!

Anyhow, to continue with the valid topic of the thread/conversation:

I can totally and honestly say, 100%, without hesitation, that the race and/or gender here have not influenced my views at all.
I might be the only one here so far, but I did question when/why/how she ended up 'approaching' these officers in their squad car.

Maybe such a total freedom from race and gender bias is hard for anyone to believe or understand....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter