WONDERous adventures on the Panama Canal - 4/23/17

I loved London! All your talk of going for a weekend makes me want to fly over, but that whole last minute airfare is a downer. Maybe someday I will make it back, but for my next big land trip I want to go to Australia. I will make it there as soon as I convince myself of that day on a plane thing:sad2:

Yeah, I'm with you on that 'day on a plane' thing. The trip back from LA/San Diego will be bad enough for us - 11 hours!

TGIF!

Maybe you could work some creative magic with the schedule document I've got - I could at least do with the flags updating (I think)

Be happy to, if you need it. Nerdy confession... spreadsheet software is my second favorite thing to do on the computer after Google-ing. (DISboards is 3rd, of course.) :disrocks:

Hey, you never told me you had considered doing the PC with another line - I am very grateful that you didn't, wouldn't be much of a stalker otherwise ;)

Bwahahaha... Its a tough job but someone has to do it! :teeth: I've been wanting to do a PC transit since our Alaska cruise in 2010 but that was before DCL went to AK or crossed the canal regularly. I've always kept an eye on the Coral Princess' itineraries but DCL is our first choice of course. (Cool DISers are a plus, too.) :thumbsup2:goodvibes:disrocks:
Or maybe this one, a personal favourite :rotfl2:

Oh man, so many wonderful memories. Somebody stop me...:laughing:

Doh! That backfired... I didn't see that coming at all! :headache::rotfl:

But you know what, Wendy (@runskyhy) and Rich are visiting at the end of the month and we do have a couple of nights in London planned, including a visit to The Alchemist for an early dinner on Tuesday 31st May - don't suppose you would finish work early enough to be able to join us? Or perhaps we can catch up with you the day we plan to head over to Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park? Gary and I (and Daniel) are in London until Thursday, Wendy and Rich are staying until Friday.

Agreed! :thumbsup2 A mini-DISmeet, perhaps? :disrocks:

There seems to be a trend with my Smilies this morning... :cool2:

This group is too much fun, we are so random.
So @runskyhy is going to make us navigators of activities for our group? That is an undertaking right there, :thumbsup2 to you!
So we still haven't figured out the meaning behind @wilma-bride have we? I'm going to have to think on that one:scratchin
Now I need to find some books on Amazon so I can read up on the history of the canal before the cruise, any suggestions?

This group is too much fun, we are so random.
So @runskyhy is going to make us navigators of activities for our group? That is an undertaking right there, :thumbsup2 to you!
So we still haven't figured out the meaning behind @wilma-bride have we? I'm going to have to think on that one:scratchin
Now I need to find some books on Amazon so I can read up on the history of the canal before the cruise, any suggestions?

Good luck with coming up with an answer - you were very close before.

By the way, I'm not sure if you have a Kindle but if you do, I have a copy of the Path Between The Seas in Kindle format which I would be happy to send to you. Warning, though, I have been advised that it is a very dry book.

Just paid my deposit for this PC cruise! Looking forward to trying something new -never been to any of these locations (except Port Canaveral).

Welcome to the group :)

Hello @Shock13 ! :wave: What other cruise lines did you look at? I compared this to Princess and Celebrity when we booked and (for an inside stateroom, at least) the difference in cost was negligible. I really liked the layout of the Princess ship (Coral/Island) for their April 2017 PC transit (when we sailed it for an Alaskan cruise) though.

I did look into Princess and Celebrity. Celebrity was about the same price as Disney but I'm not familiar with that cruise line at all so I didn't really consider them. As for Princess, which I would be totally fine with but the fare is at least $1000 more. Some cruise lines charge a 100% solo supplement and some charge less. In this case Princess is charging the full 100% and Disney is not. The base fare is also more expensive for Princess for their 15 day PC transit. I think Princess has the better itinerary but I'm okay with Disney. I do like the sea days.

By the way, I'm not sure if you have a Kindle but if you do, I have a copy of the Path Between The Seas in Kindle format which I would be happy to send to you. Warning, though, I have been advised that it is a very dry book.
I do have a Kindle, but I am thinking you are setting me up for a nap. You must not have read it yet and all I could think when I read your post was the old Life cereal commercial saying something about Mikey will try it:rotfl: Isn't that the book that is like over 600 pages long? Good reviews though. Let me know what you need to send it to me, I can't promise to read the whole thing. There should be a Cliff Notes version and thankfully no book report will be written on it. No test either!

Oh...The Path Between the Seas! Yeah, it's heavy! But I feel I really benefitted by reading other (shorter!) books first..

I do have a Kindle, but I am thinking you are setting me up for a nap. You must not have read it yet and all I could think when I read your post was the old Life cereal commercial saying something about Mikey will try it:rotfl: Isn't that the book that is like over 600 pages long? Good reviews though. Let me know what you need to send it to me, I can't promise to read the whole thing. There should be a Cliff Notes version and thankfully no book report will be written on it. No test either!

Yeah, got to admit that I haven't actually read it. And don't plan to. If you speak to Kimberley B on the 'other' group she can give you the 'cliff notes' version - she ploughed her way through that thing on the last WBPC in 2015 (and about 3 months afterwards lol)

If you do want it (no pressure to read it) I just need your email address. I can email to you and you can transfer to your kindle or forward the email directly to your Kindle address.

Maybe @wilma-bride is married to a guy named Fred? It's kind of entertaining trying to figure out why people chose what they did as sign in names. I am guessing you heard oh mom from your kids way to muchh.....

Yeah I am going for @ohMom being something her kids used to say constantly!

That is definitely the number one guess of the origin of my name, and although it's technically correct I hear that often from two teenage daughters, well now they're young adult. It is not the origin of my username :rolleyes:

I love the pictures! Keep them coming I'm on my iPad now but once I fire up my computer I will share some of our favorites.

@wilma-bride maybe your husband shouts "yabba dabba do!" :idea:

And oh my gosh, going to England is on my bucket list! I am very envious of those who have visited or live there

That is definitely the number one guess of the origin of my name, and although it's technically correct I hear that often from two teenage daughters, well now they're young adult. It is not the origin of my username :rolleyes:

I love the pictures! Keep them coming I'm on my iPad now but once I fire up my computer I will share some of our favorites.

And oh my gosh, going to England is on my bucket list! I am very envious of those who have visited or live there

Does Ohmom refer to Ohio? Not sure if anyone guessed that

Nope, that's not it but made me laugh - looking forward to seeing your pictures :)

Ooh, nice guess - bet it's something like that

Hello everyone! My name is Gino (43). My daughter Allison (17) and I will be joining you all next Spring. This will be our 11th Disney cruise, but our first through the Panama Canal. We're looking forward to going on our longest cruise yet, as well as adding on a day at Disneyland. Also can't wait to see what kind of changes they make to the Wonder after its dry dock. Everyone keep the information and tips coming for someone new to PC cruising. I've also read on previous posts about a possible Facebook page for our group. Please PM me with a link if available. Thanks!

Yeah, got to admit that I haven't actually read it. And don't plan to. If you speak to Kimberley B on the 'other' group she can give you the 'cliff notes' version - she ploughed her way through that thing on the last WBPC in 2015 (and about 3 months afterwards lol)

If you do want it (no pressure to read it) I just need your email address. I can email to you and you can transfer to your kindle or forward the email directly to your Kindle address.
After reading up on loaning a book and seeing that I would have to read it in 14 days(so not happening!), I think I will buy a cheap copy and make mom or her other half read it. Thanks for offering to loan it to me though.

OK to all you Path Between the Seas "fans"...

I have tried to read this book once but to be honest by page 70 or so I was looking to get even with my grade school teachers for learning me letters..
But here is a little Youtube that would have saved me a few buck if I have found it earlier, Warning it can be a little dry also... And I think this was made by one of the author's family members... (The apple does not fall far from the tree)

Hello everyone! My name is Gino (43). My daughter Allison (17) and I will be joining you all next Spring. This will be our 11th Disney cruise, but our first through the Panama Canal. We're looking forward to going on our longest cruise yet, as well as adding on a day at Disneyland. Also can't wait to see what kind of changes they make to the Wonder after its dry dock. Everyone keep the information and tips coming for someone new to PC cruising. I've also read on previous posts about a possible Facebook page for our group. Please PM me with a link if available. Thanks!

Welcome! Lucky you to get to spend a day in Disneyland! With the fact that we are pulling our kids out of school, we did not feel we could even add one extra day. Seems a waste to be so close and not go! :( We are excitedly waiting for any announcements of the changes planned for the Wonder!

DING! DING! DING! :lovestruc That's it. My DH works in IT so way back in the stone ages when I joined the Dis, like in 1999 I believe, I decided I would be "Ohio mom "I just did a bad job with my capitalization .

Welcome! Lucky you to get to spend a day in Disneyland! With the fact that we are pulling our kids out of school, we did not feel we could even add one extra day. Seems a waste to be so close and not go! :( We are excitedly waiting for any announcements of the changes planned for the Wonder!

Us too.....DH does not feel like he can squeeze anymore extra days away from work . We haven't been to DL yet and it's definately in our near future

DING! DING! DING! :lovestruc That's it. My DH works in IT so way back in the stone ages when I joined the Dis, like in 1999 I believe, I decided I would be "Ohio mom "I just did a bad job with my capitalization .

I live on Ohio, so I had always assumed it might mean Ohio!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter