WOW! It's been a while~Traveling to DW with Diabetes

Thanks so much everyone! I never thought about jelly beans :upsidedow I think maybe I'll grab a big bag of skittles to take with us too.

Yes skittles will work also. Years ago i came across a little plastic jelly belly dispenser for which we put the fast acting candies in so fits easily into my d's diabetes bag or in her pocket if need be. Maybe you can find something similar and just refill as needed.

Hi!
My 10 yo DD is T1. We have been to Disney a couple of time since diagnosis, but it's always been in the cooler months. We leave tomorrow, and it's the first time we have been to WDW in the heat with T1. Any suggestions about keeping supplies cool? Do you bring an insulated bag? She is on a pump, so I don't normally bring insulin with us to the parks, but I am concerned about the glucagon staying cool.
We will be getting the Guest Assistance pass, because heat and activity causes her BG to plummet. We always have snacks for treating lows, and she is very good about testing more often.
Even with T1, Disney is a magical place! :love:

Hi!
My 10 yo DD is T1. We have been to Disney a couple of time since diagnosis, but it's always been in the cooler months. We leave tomorrow, and it's the first time we have been to WDW in the heat with T1. Any suggestions about keeping supplies cool? Do you bring an insulated bag? She is on a pump, so I don't normally bring insulin with us to the parks, but I am concerned about the glucagon staying cool.
We will be getting the Guest Assistance pass, because heat and activity causes her BG to plummet. We always have snacks for treating lows, and she is very good about testing more often.

I use the Frio insulating wallet for travel, and then leave the insulin vial in the fridge in the hotel room.

I've never thought much about the glucagon. I usually just throw it in my bag, but then again, I've never ended up needing it. I guess an insulated case couldn't hurt.

I've never had a problem with glucagon - i just toss it into the bag. And we're always there in the summer.

Don't be surprised if you don't get anything for your GAC. Most lines are shaded or inside and most "alternate" entrances no longer exist as most of the lines are mainstreamed- especially for the purposes you need. However, the biggest challenge is all the time you're not in line - the heat is still there - and a GAC isn't going to help with that. So just don't be surprised if Guest Services doesn't give you anything helpful.

Keep enough glucose tabs on you - and things like granola bars. You can't really avoid the heat, but try to minimize the middle of the day walking around.

Hi!

My son's BG also plummets in the heat. We have done WDW in August and DL in all seasons and have never used a GAC. We did pick one up on our first trip to DL post DX (he was 3), but wound up not needing it. Planned to get one in WDW, but decided to try first without, so we wouldn't have to wait in line for it, and again found we didn't need it. Our preference is to arrive early, use FastPasses wherever they are available and take a break between lunch and dinner. It has worked extremely well for us, but of course every family is different.

We did not keep the Glucagon cold in our whole 12 days in WDW (August) and didn't seem to have a problem with it - sadly we did have to use that one for a low emergency a few months after we go home.

My best advice is test, test, test and then test again. About every hour worked for us. If you stay on top of the BGs they are much easier to manage. Always have your supply bag with you - glucose tabs, glucagon, packaged snacks, juice, etc. That way you can treat wherever you are.

I was so worried before we visited WDW specifically because of the heat, and it really was not a whole lot harder than any normal summer day when he is running around. Hope you have a great trip!

Thanks for the responses! I had never thought about carrying glucagon in the heat until I read somewhere that it was supposed to be keep cool.
We got a GAC when we went at Christmas '10, and never had to use it. It will depend on how much of a hassle it is to get, and will only use it if absolutely necessary.
My daughter always has her pouch that has her meter, strips, pricker, glucose tabs, and glucagon in it. Also, she will not be without a water bottle. We are very lucky, because she senses her lows, and even senses when she is going low. She is very diligent about testing.
Her BGs are always really good when we travel, but like I said, we haven't been to WDW in the heat.
Thanks again!!!

sounds like you'll be fine really. :) And mickey bars really have the magical combo of carbs and fat. ;)

I got all of my DD's Diabetes supplies from school today (tomorrow is their last day for an hour..) I forgot how much stuff we had there!

I'm getting really excited. I bought a insulated cooler with a zipper top from 31 (a friend sells them) and that should be here tomorrow.

I'm debating if I should bring in an extra bottle of insulin to the parks to keep at first aid or if I should just leave it in our room at the hotel. She is on a pump, but what if her infusion set gets pulled out (it's been pulled out from random things before, or once when she was over zealous with her shorts after she used the washroom).

I really dislike this disease, it's so random. Yesterday I couldn't seem to keep her above 75, today I can't get her below up 300. :confused:

I got all of my DD's Diabetes supplies from school today (tomorrow is their last day for an hour..) I forgot how much stuff we had there!

I'm getting really excited. I bought a insulated cooler with a zipper top from 31 (a friend sells them) and that should be here tomorrow.

I'm debating if I should bring in an extra bottle of insulin to the parks to keep at first aid or if I should just leave it in our room at the hotel. She is on a pump, but what if her infusion set gets pulled out (it's been pulled out from random things before, or once when she was over zealous with her shorts after she used the washroom).

I really dislike this disease, it's so random. Yesterday I couldn't seem to keep her above 75, today I can't get her below up 300. :confused:

I leave the insulin in the room. IF an infusion set gets pulled out you can simply replace the site part and just reuse the old tubing and reservoir. If something were to happen to the tubing then that would be a different story, but we've been pumping since back in 2006 and we've never had a 'tubing' issue. Disregard if you're podding since then you'd need to refill and replace the whole thing and in that case I WOULD carry insulin. I also tend to toss one or two syringes in my bag just in case. In an extreme emergency (like a pump malfunction) I can at least pull insulin out of the reservoir.

And yeah, 75 to 300 days - been there, done that, we all have. It's maddening.

Hi doug, there are no carb counts on any foods at disney, unless the food is prepackaged. Best options are to carry a calorie king book with your or get an app on your phone (I like calorie counter by fat secret). Being new, you might want to find a small travel scale or bring measuring cups.

I have Type 2. I had downloaded the Calorie King app to my iPhone, but it has a lot of either outdated or restaurant menus from other regions. I'm not sure which, but Friendly's isn't in there and the Applebee's menu doesn't match any Applebee's near here. I'll try the FatSecret Calorie Counter. I've downloaded it. There's my weight right on the opening page now. :)

Thanks for suggesting this app! I really would like to take about 60 fewer pounds to Disney next year.

Good thoughts to all of you parents and children dealing with diabetes. :grouphug:

I leave the insulin in the room. IF an infusion set gets pulled out you can simply replace the site part and just reuse the old tubing and reservoir. If something were to happen to the tubing then that would be a different story, but we've been pumping since back in 2006 and we've never had a 'tubing' issue. Disregard if you're podding since then you'd need to refill and replace the whole thing and in that case I WOULD carry insulin. I also tend to toss one or two syringes in my bag just in case. In an extreme emergency (like a pump malfunction) I can at least pull insulin out of the reservoir.

And yeah, 75 to 300 days - been there, done that, we all have. It's maddening.

Ahhhh good ideas! I'll do that, I normally carry a syringe or 2 in my purse at all times as a just in case, I didn't think about pulling it from the reservoir! She has the One Touch Ping, no pod. :)

oh I just looked at your PTR...I love that all the little girls have their pink pings!!

And IMHO if you're more worried about how you're going to stay IN the park during a pump issue then you've succeeded in D parenting 101 "Never let the D stop you or your child." and you'll be just fine!!!! No matter what comes up. I always figure that it's only going to take me about an hour to get back to our hotel and in that time, I can be on the phone with the pump company arranging a new pump for the next day. Which reminds me - write down the PHYSICAL mailing address of your hotel and keep it where you can get to it quickly. You want the address that will get a package to the front desk, which may not be the same as the mailing address. :)

Just wanted to send hugs to all the parents of newly DX T1D kids. DD (11) was diagnosed 2 years ago. We have not done DW yet (have done DL and a cruise). But the heat always makes her numbers sky high. We want to do DW next summer but the heat worries me.

We are on the Omnipod and when we travel I usually keep a 1/4 filled insulin vial with me to carry into the parks. So that I'm not carrying and possibly spoiling the whole vial. We have had to do pod changes in the park and for DD stopping the fun to go back to the room would have upset her.

I've had mixed luck with the Frio bag. Last summer ours leaked all over her kit.:crazy2:

We bought her an ipod touch and downloaded the Calorie King app on to it. This has been amazing at promoting independence because she can look up carb counts on her own and she keeps it with her kit.

Just wanted to send hugs to all the parents of newly DX T1D kids. DD (11) was diagnosed 2 years ago. We have not done DW yet (have done DL and a cruise). But the heat always makes her numbers sky high. We want to do DW next summer but the heat worries me.

We are on the Omnipod and when we travel I usually keep a 1/4 filled insulin vial with me to carry into the parks. So that I'm not carrying and possibly spoiling the whole vial. We have had to do pod changes in the park and for DD stopping the fun to go back to the room would have upset her.

I've had mixed luck with the Frio bag. Last summer ours leaked all over her kit.:crazy2:

We bought her an ipod touch and downloaded the Calorie King app on to it. This has been amazing at promoting independence because she can look up carb counts on her own and she keeps it with her kit.

I was due for a new pump when I was planning my last Disney trip, and specifically chose the Omnipod over a new Minimed model because I didn't want to deal with tubing while navigating the plane, resort, etc. Plus, swimming is SO MUCH EASIER. I've been very happy with it.

I haven't tried the Calorie King yet, but the food library that came loaded on the Omnipod PDM has been quite handy.

The Calorie King desktop computer software is okay. I've been using that for about four years. The Calorie King smartphone database that I have does not sync with my computer. It's just a food database, and an incomplete one. The FatSecret Calorie Counter buffetgirl mentioned syncs with something online (I haven't done that part yet). I'm trying it out for the first time today. It allowed me to enter food while on the go, and that's a big plus for me. There's my weight staring at the me on the start-up screen, too.

I use Restaurant Nutrition on my iPhone. This specifically tracks chain restaurant menu items. I find it very current and they are adding new places all the time.

I just wanted to stop in here and say I find this thread extremely informative as I am a Nurse Clinician, CDE and have recently moved from primarily adult diabetes education to the pediatric setting and will be working very close with Type 1 new and returning patients to our clinic.

I am also a Disney Fanatic and am learning a lot from all of you here on managing diabetes while in WDW.

I can also add for those who have smartphones a free app "Go Meals" sponsored by Sano Aventis, it is based on the Food Calorie/Carb King lists and the really great feature of the app is there is GPS navigation that will give you nearby food options, the menus and the carb information of their foods. This should help with the meal planning needs found while traveling for you! Hope this information helps you out.

You have been given great tips, I would emphasize that the heat can be a BG dropping event and that also it is extremely important to stay hydrated as even those non-DM persons while in WDW can become dehydrated but, it is even more of a risk for those with DM.

Also, keeping extra supplies is a super idea, along with all the recommended snack survival ideas! But, most of all relax and enjoy yourself and your DD will also enjoy herself:thumbsup2

I was due for a new pump when I was planning my last Disney trip, and specifically chose the Omnipod over a new Minimed model because I didn't want to deal with tubing while navigating the plane, resort, etc. Plus, swimming is SO MUCH EASIER. I've been very happy with it.

I haven't tried the Calorie King yet, but the food library that came loaded on the Omnipod PDM has been quite handy.

I'm glad to hear you're loving the pod too! We went to DL with it last trip and even did a pod change while waiting in line for TSM.
Calorie King is fantastic and the app has a large library. It's got a typical search feature which allows her to carb count faster than the book...she's 11 and hates slowing down for anything related to D. Plus it's free I believe.

We're doing DW in the summer (we usually go in the spring) and I'm worried about the heat. DD goes HIGH when she's hot.

My ten year old daughter has t1d. This will be our second trip since her diagnosis, we'll be there June 27th until July 4th. Last trip she didn't have her animas ping yet and we were using those frio packs to keep her insulin cool. I kept over filling it and it was a pain to get the bottle out.

We had to check her at midnight and 3am due to overnight lows. So our days of over indulging with wine and beer at the piano bar or Epcot are long over. We needed to be alert to help her! Even though we cut back on her lantus by half and were giving her ice pops without coverage she would drop fast and need to sit and rest for a bit. I have fitnesspal on my phone and I use it to look up carbs for her.

Were going to Universal July 4th for a few days and I'm worried about their no bag rules in line. She wears a too sweet boutique pump and separate meter pouch on a waste band. Anyone have any idea if she can wear it on their rides and lines? I know we need to detach and suspend for safety due to strong magnets on rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter