WOW! It's been a while~Traveling to DW with Diabetes

My ten year old daughter has t1d. This will be our second trip since her diagnosis, we'll be there June 27th until July 4th. Last trip she didn't have her animas ping yet and we were using those frio packs to keep her insulin cool. I kept over filling it and it was a pain to get the bottle out.

We had to check her at midnight and 3am due to overnight lows. So our days of over indulging with wine and beer at the piano bar or Epcot are long over. We needed to be alert to help her! Even though we cut back on her lantus by half and were giving her ice pops without coverage she would drop fast and need to sit and rest for a bit. I have fitnesspal on my phone and I use it to look up carbs for her.

Were going to Universal July 4th for a few days and I'm worried about their no bag rules in line. She wears a too sweet boutique pump and separate meter pouch on a waste band. Anyone have any idea if she can wear it on their rides and lines? I know we need to detach and suspend for safety due to strong magnets on rides.
not sure about universal, but we've never detached for any rides at Disney. Wait, we MAY have detached for RnR. but now I can't remember.

However, there is no way in heck I'd allow her to be without her pump and meter in line at Universal. Surely they allow such things?

Were going to Universal July 4th for a few days and I'm worried about their no bag rules in line. She wears a too sweet boutique pump and separate meter pouch on a waste band. Anyone have any idea if she can wear it on their rides and lines? I know we need to detach and suspend for safety due to strong magnets on rides.

We went to Universal about 2 years ago and my son wears a belt with his pump in a pouch and that was fine. Seems like I kept his meter and some tabs with me through the lines - maybe in a pocket. We didn't detach or suspend for any rides but the only coaster he went on there was The Mummy - so none of the big coasters.

DH is T1 and I think he's only ever disconnected once for a ride (I'll have to ask him - it may have been Mission Space?).
The first time we went, he wasn't yet on a pump. Ever since then, he's been pumping. We don't carry insulin with us during the day unless he knows that he will start to run low that day. When we do, we go straight to first aid and they store it there.
Also, we don't use the glucagon as it takes about 10-15 minutes to get the liver to release the glucose. On the advice of his endo (and numerous EMT's/paramedics), we use cake icing gel. It comes in small little tubes and can be rubbed on his gums (even if he's unconscious) and it goes straight into the bloodstream. Works very quick and no risk of vomiting.
The heat does a number on his blood sugars. They will end up all over the place. We've been fortunate for help from CM's (and other guests in line) when there was an issue (thinking of Snow White - the CM in the outside shop next to the line ran over a Coke for us).
We always pick up the little extra monitors that are the size of a vial of strips. They're small and very easy to carry with you. Just that an a lancet to take in the park.
Now, the big issues we have had. The first time I ever didn't double check how many pump changes DH packed and he ran out of them!! The company overnighted them to us - he had to take shots that time to save the reservoir for his basal until the next day. I always have him pack 1 change per day + 2 more. He has had to change some trips every day to every other day.
We did end up in the hospital one trip. The last night there, he became very ill in line for the bus back to the room. Transportation was great and ended up sending a van to return us to our hotel (which was good since we had to stop on the way back for an ambulance to come check on him - we should have had them take him to the ER then, but he thought he was feeling better after getting sick again). We had to drive around that night (after midnight) to find peanut butter and a loaf of bread - didn't realize I could have called the front desk and they would have gotten that for us. Then, he ended up sick all night and we called the front desk in the morning. They dispatched the ambulance and he was in ICU at the hospital in Celebration, FL. It was a crazy time but Disney worked with us to delay our checkout and help me get packed and out of the room (with 2 small kids).
As far as GAC goes, we never received or used one with T1. It would have been helpful, but he didn't have a need where he couldn't wait or something else. (We have used them for another family member.)
And, as others have suggested, we have never mentioned that he has T1 for a restaurant (did with the hotel for our first visit so that we would be guaranteed a fridge in the room - as they didn't back then and if you got one they cost, but not for T1's). We mentioned it once on a cruise (non-Disney) and it made for such a hassle and foods that were sometimes worse in how they treated his blood sugars that we found it better to eat like others, and cover with the insulin.

good tip about the sites! Especially for the kids and the pools, I tend to pack 2 per day, just in case. I also bring something extra sticky like skin-tac (or mastisol) which helps with the heat/sweat/pool.

I had to read this line like 3 times
" We don't carry insulin with us during the day unless he knows that he will start to run low that day."
until I got that you meant "unless he knows that he will start to run low IN HIS PUMP that day." LOL.

I was thinking 'boy, I don't want to be around when they give insulin for a low" hahahah...

That would be a nightmare!!! DH had a bad low at home once and began messing with his pump. It started beeping and I was sure he'd given himself a bolus! Thankfully he didn't!

That would be a nightmare!!! DH had a bad low at home once and began messing with his pump. It started beeping and I was sure he'd given himself a bolus! Thankfully he didn't!

omg. I worry about that with my son. He has a sensor so every once in a while it will alarm at night and I'm always afraid that in his effort to ignore the alarm he'll bolus himself on accident. I hate that the alarms aren't loud enough (but we've been testing out this mysentry thing from MM that links to the CGM/pump and I am adoring it. Only issue is that it's 2500. I keep thinking "$2500 for peace of mind??" I'm sure that's what MM was banking on parents (wives?) saying...:rotfl:

We adjusted basal rates and I:C ratios last Weds at our endo appt. Now Lauren is waking up low. Yesterday she was 50 :eek:, today she was 68. I think I'm going to go back down on the middle of the night #'s.

We adjusted basal rates and I:C ratios last Weds at our endo appt. Now Lauren is waking up low. Yesterday she was 50 :eek:, today she was 68. I think I'm going to go back down on the middle of the night #'s.

well that's scarypants. (we're having the opposite. puberty hell I think. the insulin at night is like water. And enough to down a horse. Still he's high. sigh)

DH's endo said a new pump & sensor should be coming out in the next 12-18 mos. It should reduce basals for lows (and maybe stop altogether if necessary) and then return to normal as the BS rises.
That would give me such peace of mind!

DH's endo said a new pump & sensor should be coming out in the next 12-18 mos. It should reduce basals for lows (and maybe stop altogether if necessary) and then return to normal as the BS rises.
That would give me such peace of mind!

sadly, that's the MM Veo which is available everywhere else in the world but hasn't even gone through the FDA process here yet. I'll eat my hat if it actually comes out in 18 months. Plus, the sensor technology that Minimed is using is just so random at this point (plus, not surprisingly, MM has better sensors and they are in use in the the rest of the world but also haven't passed FDA approval yet. I'm guessing we'll see the better sensors here before we see the Veo get approved. The FDA is nuts about this whole low suspend feature.

Frustration doesn't even come close.

DH may not have "accurately" related all of the info!
I know they started the discussion about the MM sensors. DH won't wear his sensors and he said the endo thought these would be better for him. I think they may have discussed the new pumps and he "lumped" them together when he relayed it back to me.

DH may not have "accurately" related all of the info!
I know they started the discussion about the MM sensors. DH won't wear his sensors and he said the endo thought these would be better for him. I think they may have discussed the new pumps and he "lumped" them together when he relayed it back to me.

what's he have for sensors (if you don't mind sharing?) the MM ones hurt! I hear the dexcom ones are much nicer, however, then you have to carry the dex receiver where the MM is on the pump. My son has the MM. He tolerates them. Nothing more than that. But as a parent, I find it invaluable for spotting trends.

what's he have for sensors (if you don't mind sharing?) the MM ones hurt! I hear the dexcom ones are much nicer, however, then you have to carry the dex receiver where the MM is on the pump. My son has the MM. He tolerates them. Nothing more than that. But as a parent, I find it invaluable for spotting trends.

He has the MM ones - he would never do one where he had to carry something else around. I know they're painful, I get it. It just helps so much with his A1C and gives me peace of mind against lows (and future damage from highs).
He wore them for about a year and then I noticed he would take longer and longer breaks from them.

He has the MM ones - he would never do one where he had to carry something else around. I know they're painful, I get it. It just helps so much with his A1C and gives me peace of mind against lows (and future damage from highs).
He wore them for about a year and then I noticed he would take longer and longer breaks from them.

totally get that. TOTALLY. we have an "arrangement" here - one week on, one week off. But he's almost 12, so I still have most of the say in what happens. ;) Doesn't work that way with a DH. LOL.

totally get that. TOTALLY. we have an "arrangement" here - one week on, one week off. But he's almost 12, so I still have most of the say in what happens. ;) Doesn't work that way with a DH. LOL.
I know!! I tried that arrangement. It lasted for the first week on!

OwlDisneyGirl mentioned - We always pick up the little extra monitors that are the size of a vial of strips. They're small and very easy to carry with you. Just that an a lancet to take in the park.

We are going in two weeks and are very new to Type 1 so we don't have the hand of testing on the fly - does anyone know what these are and where to get them?

Any other tips would sure be helpful. I am very nervous about this trip. DD who is 2 has chronic asthma which is hard enough to manage in the humidity and now DS who is 6 is a Type 1. I almost don't want to go.

Thanks!

OwlDisneyGirl mentioned - We always pick up the little extra monitors that are the size of a vial of strips. They're small and very easy to carry with you. Just that an a lancet to take in the park.

We are going in two weeks and are very new to Type 1 so we don't have the hand of testing on the fly - does anyone know what these are and where to get them?

Any other tips would sure be helpful. I am very nervous about this trip. DD who is 2 has chronic asthma which is hard enough to manage in the humidity and now DS who is 6 is a Type 1. I almost don't want to go.

Thanks!

she's probably talking about this thing:
http://www.niprodiagnostics.com/our_products/bgm_true2go.aspx
you have to get strips that go with it. A lot of teens / adults like this as it's an easy thing to carry around.

for us, it's just as easy to throw the regular meter into our bag since we're going to have other supplies anyway (you as well).

Try not to be nervous about your trip. Ask whatever questions you need to ask. We've all been there - taking that first disney with diabetes trip.

No, it's different. Let me see if I can find a link to them. I've always bought them at Walgreen's. Very small.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter