Yellowstone/Grand Tetons Advice - Updated with Photos - Post 63

I realize this is a 2 month old Thread, but it has so much information in it I have to bump it up! We are planning a trip in a year and all of you have helped me so much. Now, I can't decide between the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. You have made me want to go to Yellowstone so bad. Thanks for such great information! I am bookmarking this!

Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't read this whole thread. I just wanted to let you know that the direct website for Yellowstone is www.nps.gov/yell and the direct link for Grand Teton is www.nps.gov/grte

NPS websites are somewhat clunky, and you have to drill down through numerous layers sometimes to find the info you want. Start with the button on the left that says something like "Planning your visit." From there, you'll find what activities are going on, as well as links to lodging options.

I just make the mistake of checking out the airfare prices.:scared1:
Maybe it is time for me to try to turn in some of my United miles!

That's how we did it-compliments of United miles! Those airfares are really expensive! We stayed 5 nites-3 in Grand Tetons, 1 in Yellowstone, and 1 in Jackson Hole. Each nite we were in a different hotel/cabin-
Colter Bay was VERY plain/rustic
DSCF0628.jpg

Flagg ranch-we paid for a view cabin and LOVED it. The coffee maker in the room was a real plus when we got up at 6 am to see wildlife
DSCF0639.jpg

Old Faithful Inn-our only night in a hotel, rather than a cabin, and I think being in a national park, we missed the cabin experience. Also our room was way down on the 1st floor of the west wing, not too desirable. I don't even have a picture, but if you've seen WL, you kind of know what OF Inn looks like.

Jackson Lake Lodge-absolutely beautiful. Probably the most scenic resort of our trip. We sat on the benches outside the main lobby for hours. And it was fun that a ranger was there in the early morning with a scope to help see things. And the coffee maker again!
DSCF0651.jpg

In Jackson, we stayed at Cowboy Village, great little cabins with a 2 burner stove, refrigerator, and once again-the coffee maker. Sort of like Fort Wilderness-
DSCF0657.jpg

Sorry this is so long, but I remember before our trip, where to stay was foremost on my mind. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

That's how we did it-compliments of United miles! Those airfares are really expensive! We stayed 5 nites-3 in Grand Tetons, 1 in Yellowstone, and 1 in Jackson Hole. Each nite we were in a different hotel/cabin-
Colter Bay was VERY plain/rustic
DSCF0628.jpg

Flagg ranch-we paid for a view cabin and LOVED it. The coffee maker in the room was a real plus when we got up at 6 am to see wildlife
DSCF0639.jpg

Old Faithful Inn-our only night in a hotel, rather than a cabin, and I think being in a national park, we missed the cabin experience. Also our room was way down on the 1st floor of the west wing, not too desirable. I don't even have a picture, but if you've seen WL, you kind of know what OF Inn looks like.

Jackson Lake Lodge-absolutely beautiful. Probably the most scenic resort of our trip. We sat on the benches outside the main lobby for hours. And it was fun that a ranger was there in the early morning with a scope to help see things. And the coffee maker again!
DSCF0651.jpg

In Jackson, we stayed at Cowboy Village, great little cabins with a 2 burner stove, refrigerator, and once again-the coffee maker. Sort of like Fort Wilderness-
DSCF0657.jpg

Sorry this is so long, but I remember before our trip, where to stay was foremost on my mind. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Those are great pictures of your accomondations. Thanks!!!!

Congrats to all of you to be making this trip. It is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth. If I can share some thoughts:

The Wort Hotel in Jackson-LOVELY!!!!
Take time to enjoy this cowboy town.
Take a float trip or whitewater trip in the Snake river.
Snow Lodge @ Old Faithful-so cozy.
Do take some warm clothes, it snowed there in August.
Horseback riding and fly fishing while staying at a ranch is lots of fun too!

Be prepared to have your soul touched, words cannot descibe.:cloud9:

Well, now that my trip is getting closer (I leave Aug 31st), it is time to start thinking about what to pack. Some of it is obvious, but since the weather is so unpredictable, do you recommend that I just take jeans and don't bring any shorts?

Also, I am planning on bringing my hiking boots, a sweatshirt and a bunch of short sleeve shirts since I basically wear short sleeves all year round. For a jacket, my winter coat is a shell with a zip out lining. Should I bring that so that in case it is very cold I could put in the lining? Or should I bring a spring jacket and just wear the sweatshirt underneath if it gets rellay cold?

If it were me, I wouldn't bring shorts. When we went I figured either it would be too cold or, if it were warm, probably too buggy. Just be prepared for anything, weatherwise, so as another DISer suggested to me, be prepared to layer! When we went in June, we had a couple inches of snow. Friends of ours went 3 weeks later, and they had temps in the 90s! You might want to think about packing that Mickey Poncho, like this kid did-

2007_0609Image0067.jpg

If it were me, I wouldn't bring shorts. When we went I figured either it would be too cold or, if it were warm, probably too buggy. Just be prepared for anything, weatherwise, so as another DISer suggested to me, be prepared to layer! When we went in June, we had a couple inches of snow. Friends of ours went 3 weeks later, and they had temps in the 90s! You might want to think about packing that Mickey Poncho, like this kid did-

2007_0609Image0067.jpg

Excellent advice! Thanks! I will definitely bring jeans then and I will make sure that I bring lots of insect repellent!

I want to 2nd (or 3rd or 4th LOL) the suggestion of Jackson Lake Lodge. Get a view room, you will not be disappointed! Tetons is absolutely our favorite! In all honestly.....I'd probably go more with the schedule someone else posted that suggested more time in the Tetons and less at Yellowstone. The Teton area is BEAUTIFUL, far less touristy, and is wonderfully run. It also can be enjoyed with far less driving. With the exception of room rates, the prices are EXCEPTIONAL for what you recieve. They very much support/use sustainable, organic, fair trade/etc products and for LESS than you would expect for 'traditional' products. A sit down breakfast for my family (me, DH, 2 kids) at Signal is less than $35 for a GREAT meal (with a view!). Touristy Tshirts and such are $12 for kids $18 for adults, wonderful quality and often organic cottons.

Hikes....are you concerned most about being alone? There is a beautiful hike at JennyLake (Tetons). $9 (if I recall correctly) gets you a round trip boat ride across the lake. Hiking about 1/2 mile gets you to hidden falls and about 1/2 mile beyond that gets you to inspiration point. It's a well travelled route (you'll probably even pass a few park rangers on your hike....and don't get me started on them LOL! The Tetons rangers and FREE ranger led programs ROCK!) and, while probably 'moderate' terain is easily doable (small children...including my own 6 and 8 YOs do it often....we even passed a group of ladies who looked to be in their 70s or 80s coming down the hill!).

There are lots of small hikes all over the tetons. Try to find a ranger led hike (if you're into that ). Also take some time to hang out in the Jackson Lodge lobby. They have free WiFi there, which is what most people hanging out there will be doing, a great place to stop and check back in with 'the real world'. The view from JLL though is simply stunning.

Yellowstone....you've already gotten tons of great advice. My advice....follow the Yellowstone tour buses LOL. They always lead you to some neat hidden but not out of the way attraction. And be prepared to spend alot of time in the car. There is ALOT of driving. Definatly 'hotel hop' if you can.

Oh, and I would NOT do the first night in Jackson. I think it's WAY overrated, especially if you're in the mood for a beautifully laid back park tour.

I want to 2nd (or 3rd or 4th LOL) the suggestion of Jackson Lake Lodge. Get a view room, you will not be disappointed! Tetons is absolutely our favorite! In all honestly.....I'd probably go more with the schedule someone else posted that suggested more time in the Tetons and less at Yellowstone. The Teton area is BEAUTIFUL, far less touristy, and is wonderfully run. It also can be enjoyed with far less driving. With the exception of room rates, the prices are EXCEPTIONAL for what you recieve. They very much support/use sustainable, organic, fair trade/etc products and for LESS than you would expect for 'traditional' products. A sit down breakfast for my family (me, DH, 2 kids) at Signal is less than $35 for a GREAT meal (with a view!). Touristy Tshirts and such are $12 for kids $18 for adults, wonderful quality and often organic cottons.

Hikes....are you concerned most about being alone? There is a beautiful hike at JennyLake (Tetons). $9 (if I recall correctly) gets you a round trip boat ride across the lake. Hiking about 1/2 mile gets you to hidden falls and about 1/2 mile beyond that gets you to inspiration point. It's a well travelled route (you'll probably even pass a few park rangers on your hike....and don't get me started on them LOL! The Tetons rangers and FREE ranger led programs ROCK!) and, while probably 'moderate' terain is easily doable (small children...including my own 6 and 8 YOs do it often....we even passed a group of ladies who looked to be in their 70s or 80s coming down the hill!).

There are lots of small hikes all over the tetons. Try to find a ranger led hike (if you're into that ). Also take some time to hang out in the Jackson Lodge lobby. They have free WiFi there, which is what most people hanging out there will be doing, a great place to stop and check back in with 'the real world'. The view from JLL though is simply stunning.

Yellowstone....you've already gotten tons of great advice. My advice....follow the Yellowstone tour buses LOL. They always lead you to some neat hidden but not out of the way attraction. And be prepared to spend alot of time in the car. There is ALOT of driving. Definatly 'hotel hop' if you can.

Oh, and I would NOT do the first night in Jackson. I think it's WAY overrated, especially if you're in the mood for a beautifully laid back park tour.

I was looking at the website to book the Jackson Lake Lodge and I was trying to figure out which room class was in the main lodge. Do you know which one? All of the room classes that I am seeing are cottage rooms. For the cottages themsleves, are they isolated or are they close together? Basically, since I will be by myself, I am a bit anxious about staying in a cottage.

On hiking, yes I am nervous about hiking on my own. I will probably only do short hikes that are very popular so that there will be other people hiking at the same time.

Another Jackson Lake Lodge fan here! We stayed in the cabins, but they're really like one story attached units. I posted pictures of the unit we stayed in, a cottage with a view. We were on the furthest "row" from the lodge, but it still only took a couple minutes to get up to the main lodge in the morning with my coffee (I loved that the rooms had coffee makers. I have a brochure of rates in front of me and Jackson Lake Lodge lists 5 rates, the rooms in the Main Lodge are called Main Lodge Non-view rooms. Please feel free to Email me if I can give you any more info.
MateasMom, I really appreciate your comments about the Grand Tetons compared to Yellowstone, and how they're less "touristy". That was our initial impression, we were wondering if it was just us.

Give the Grand Tetons reservation number a call and ask for a room recommendation. I think Jackson Lake Lodge has the only option for 'hotel' style rooms (the ones Simbasmom was talking about), so it sounds like that would work best for you. But I'm sure they could give you some suggestions/ideas.

As far as hikes without being alone, you could literally spend all week at GT going on ranger led tours and still not make it to all of them! When you call GT, ask them to send you information (they have great pamphlets) and also their weekly newspaper/brochure. The newspaper has times/information for all the ranger led hikes, programs, and talks. The hike I suggested (Jenny Lake to Hidden Falls/Inspiration Point) has a daily ranger led walk starting at 8am if I recall correctly. Another popular hike is Swan Lake, which starts at Colter Bay and is also offered daily at 8am IIRC. All of the lodges also have slow paced 'nature walk' type ranger led programs, and nightly 'campfire' talks.

There's a neat Indian museum at Colter Bay with a ranger led program in the afternoons. There's a laundrymat here also, and a little grocery store (with excellent selection and prices for being a national park....again, lots of organic choices for 'traditional' prices). This is also where you would go to sign up for any of the 'pay to play' type activities (horseback riding, float trips, lake tours). And definatly plan at least one meal at Signal Mountain. Bring a camera and binoculars as you'll be right on the water, a beautiful view.

Hi! Well I was ablt today to change my first night from Teton Village to the Jackson Lake Hotel. I was not able to get a view room but I was able to get a room in the main buidling.

Now my questions:

1) Is it really only a 30 minute drive from the airport to the Jackson Lake Lodge?

2) Should I change my last 2 nights from Jackson Hole (the Best Western) to the Jackson Lake Lodge? I have a 7 AM flight to go home and I don't really want to drive too far to the airport. Also, is it worth it if I can't get a view room?

1) Is it really only a 30 minute drive from the airport to the Jackson Lake Lodge?

2) Should I change my last 2 nights from Jackson Hole (the Best Western) to the Jackson Lake Lodge? I have a 7 AM flight to go home and I don't really want to drive too far to the airport. Also, is it worth it if I can't get a view room?
I don't see how it could be a 30 minute drive from the airport to Jackson Lake Lodge. I was just checking this the other day (planning next year's trip, and DH definitely wants to return to JLL). It's 30-35 miles from the airport to JLL, and you can't go over 45 miles per hour, even less if you get stopped, like we did, by a herd of buffalo crossing. They don't hurry! We drove from JLL into Jackson, and it took us 1-1 1/2 hours. So I wouldn't recommend trying to make the trip from JLL to the airport for a 7:00 flight. IMO, it is still worth it without a view room, the views from the lobby and out the back of the lobby are incredible. Here's one we took right out the door of the lobby:
DSCF0653.jpg

I don't see how it could be a 30 minute drive from the airport to Jackson Lake Lodge. I was just checking this the other day (planning next year's trip, and DH definitely wants to return to JLL). It's 30-35 miles from the airport to JLL, and you can't go over 45 miles per hour, even less if you get stopped, like we did, by a herd of buffalo crossing. They don't hurry! We drove from JLL into Jackson, and it took us 1-1 1/2 hours. So I wouldn't recommend trying to make the trip from JLL to the airport for a 7:00 flight. IMO, it is still worth it without a view room, the views from the lobby and out the back of the lobby are incredible. Here's one we took right out the door of the lobby:
DSCF0653.jpg

Thanks! I will leave my remaining reservations as they are for now. Though maybe I will try to split the reservation and move my second to last day to Jackson Lake Lodge and leave my last night down in Jackson Hole.

That is an awesome photo! Thanks so much for posting it. :woohoo:

I think 30 minutes sounds pretty accurate (unless like PP said you end up with some unforseen delay). It's about 45 minutes from JLL to Jackson. I've never flown in/out of Jackson, but you pass the airport turnoff quite a bit outside of Jackson. Probably 15 minutes or so.

As far as spending more time in Jackson vs Tetons I think it depends on the type of trip you are looking forward to. If you plan to hike, sit on a park bench and read a book, etc then you'll want Tetons. If you want to do some shopping, mingle with others, or catch a movie LOL then you'll want to be in Jackson.

That time of year is off-season and 30 minutes is about right. The main highway doesn't get stopped much from JLL to JH airport. Speed limit is 45-55.

I'm jealous -- It's been 5 years since I've been to JH after going nearly every year for 30 years since I was 7.

Hi everyone! Thanks for the excellent advice. I just got back this afternoon and I had an awesome time! I loved both parks and took lots of pictures. I haven't downloaded my pictures yet but I will post a few when I do.

We stayed at the Teton Mountain Lodge on our honeymoon and it was AMAZING. Please google it, I know you will love what you see.

Hi everyone! Thanks for the excellent advice. I just got back this afternoon and I had an awesome time! I loved both parks and took lots of pictures. I haven't downloaded my pictures yet but I will post a few when I do.
Ahem-we're waiting to see those pictures!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter