Yellowstone/Grand Tetons Advice - Updated with Photos - Post 63

I'm so glad to hear the positive feedback on Lake Yellowstone Hotel. Actually, how are the cabins? We're staying there for 2 nights in June, also 2 nights at Jackson Lake Lodge (which we've been to before, so we know we'll love that) and probably one other night in Jackson.

Hello, my name is Diane and I work in Y'stone NP. I will be happy to help you out with Yellowstone! :) The Park will be crowded on Labor Day Weekend, and I would highly reccommend coming to Yellowstone during the Elk or Bison rut in mid-late September.

First and foremost you do need to make reservations for lodging or camping in Yellowstone. Here is Xanterra's (lodging concensioner) website: http://www.travelyellowstone.com/ Our website gives you a lot of valuable information on things to do in Y'stone, where to stay, etc.

You may make lodging reservations online, but in order to make dinner, activity, or camping reservations you must call us at the reservations center. If you're in the US you can call us toll free at 1.866.GEYSERLAND (439-7375) and the current hours are 8-5pm MST. If you are going to camp you do need to know the size of your equipment before calling our reservations office.

Lodging in Yellowstone that I highly reccommend:

Lake Yellowstone Hotel-it is the oldest hotel in the park, and one of the guests sent in a comment card saying how she loved her stay after I reccommended it to her. Architectually speaking, it is the most gorgeous hotel in the Park IMO.

Old Faithful Inn-2nd oldest hotel in the park, and the most famous in the park. Right by several geyser basins, hiking trails, and the Firehole River (which is a popular swimming spot in the summer). If you're a history buff like me the above two hotels (along with the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel) are good bets.

Tip: if you would like to get up to the Crow's Nest and roof of the Old Faithful Inn very politely ask (not demand) the bell staff in the morning. The bell staff put up and take down the flags every day, and sometimes they take a few guests with them. It never hurts to politely ask. If you do go up to the Crow's Nest the please tip the nice bellman :)

Canyon Lodge-because of it's central location inside the park. For guests who do not like to hotel hop Canyon is the best choice. Also, because the Grand Canyon is a spectacular area of the park-tons of great hiking trails.

Tip: There are cabins and hotel rooms at Canyon. The rooms are in Dunraven Lodge and Cascade Lodge. Dunraven has an elevator while Cascade does not.

Roosevelt Lodge-because of the Old West Cookout, Lamar Valley (where wolf watchers go in the early morning hours), American black bears, hiking, and of course fly-fishing. The Old West Dinner Cookout is the most popular activity in the park and you do need to book that several weeks in advance.

Tip: "Rosy" has only cabins, and the vast majority of those cabins are rustic (meaning no private bathroom, log-burning fireplace for heat, etc.) These cabins are aptly called the "Roughriders". Rosy does have 12 "Frontier" Cabins, which do have private bathrooms, but these quickly sell out.

For rooms and cabins that do not have private restrooms there are communal restrooms/showers located nearby.

Bear in mind that the Lake Yellowstone Hotel, Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel, and the Old Faithful Inn all have steam heat, which can be noisy at times. Also you may make special requests (upper floor room, ground floor, etc.), but requests are not guaranteed. Request for views cannot be granted at any time. No rooms at the Old Faithful Inn have a view of The Geyser (because of the trees), the frontside rooms at the Lake Y'stone Hotel do not have a view of the Lake (again, the trees), etc. The only exception to this is the upper suite at the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel-it does have an excellent view of the Terraces.

Pets are NOT allowed in the hotel rooms, however; they are allowed in the cabins. You cannnot leave your pet unattended for long periods of time, you cannot take your pets into the backcountry, on the boardwalks, etc. To be frank, this National Park is very pet unfriendly to begin with, so my advice is to leave the pets at home. No hotel rooms or cabins have the usual amenities~we do not have televisions*, Wi-Fi/internet access, etc. Some rooms and cabins do have coffeemakers, hairdryers, etc., but you would have to call our reservations center to get more infomation. For rooms that do not have the amenity that you would like feel free to inquire at the front desk. We have single, double, and queen sized beds-there are no King-size beds in the entire park. And for people who spend a lot of time in the gym we don't have exercise equiment or guest gyms (but hey, that's what the hiking trails are for!) The park hotels don't have any pools, but do inquire about the Firehole River and the Boiling River swimming spots at any NPS Visitor's Center.

*with two exceptions. The two suites at the Mammoth Hotel do have satellite television.

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, explore the National Park Service Website for Y'stone: http://www.nps.gov/yell

Ths NPS website will give you detailed maps of the different areas of the Park, etc. I also cannot stress this enough-always obey the Park rules. The Park's historian Lee Whittlesey has written a book about foolish people called Death In Yellowstone, which unfortunately needs to be revised. We also recently had a bull elk attack a brand new truck and damaged it severely.

Xanterra Parks & Resorts does not have a lodging contract with the NPS in the Grand Tetons, so I am very unfamiliar with the Lodges down there.

http://signalmountainlodge.com/ (Operated by Forever Resorts)

Again, I would explore the NPS site on the Grand Tetons: http://www.nps.gov/grte/

Also, there are some great places around Yellowstone that are worth a visit. Chico Hot Springs (http://www.chicohotsprings.com/) is a resort in Pray, Montana that has a fantastic dining room, a day spa, two hot spring pools, and live music in their saloon on weekends. In fact, if you don't want to stay at Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel (just five miles into the park via the North entrance) you should stay in Chico. Cody, Wyoming has the Buffalo Bill Historical Center (http://www.bbhc.org/home/index.cfm)-it is five musuems in one and well worth a visit! Just outside the Northeast entrance to the park are the Beartooth Mountains-Charles Kuralt said that this was the most scenic drive in America! It it a beautiful drive!!!

Drink plenty of water before you come to the Greater Yellowstone area-we are in a high elevation mountain region. Also, be on the lookout for deer and other wildlife on the road. The deer are stupid and will not stop for a car or truck. I know this from personal experience, and it's costing me several hundred $$$.

I'm so glad to hear the positive feedback on Lake Yellowstone Hotel.

I am too! It means we did a good job :goodvibes

Actually, how are the cabins? We're staying there for 2 nights in June.

The cabins at the Lake Hotel (pardon my slang) are located in a cluster behind the hotel, so there is no view of the Y'stone Lake (that's what the Sun Room is for right ;) ). Most of the cabins have two double beds, and all have private bathrooms with a shower. Also, if memory serves there are no stand-alone cabins at LH, but they are a good value for that area of the Park.

I just realized I came late to the party, so hopefully all of my info will be helpful to others :rolleyes1

Forgot to mention:

For deals on airfare and car rentals to Y'stone please visit Montana Travel @ www.mttravel.com or call 1-800-247-3538.

We're planning to go to Yellowstone next October (2008). What kind of weather/temperatures do you think we can expect around October 5-13? We're hoping it won't be too chilly by then. Will we have a good chance of seeing the leaves turning by then?

Right now we have fall temperatures, however, tomorrow it could be sunny and warm. You can most likely check the current weather conditions on the Weather Channel's site: http://www.weather.com/

YNP's zip is 82190

Also, check information on road conditions before you visit: http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm
Snow tires and/or chains may be required. Dunraven Pass is currently closed, Criag Pass and Sylvan Pass have also been closed and re-opened several times since the beginning of the month. Also, only two hotels in the park are open right now.

I'm saving it for our trip next year. :-) Do you have any other suggestions for interesting hikes? We are all used to hiking and in good shape, so anything up to 6-8 miles is very do-able for us. Shorter hikes are most welcome, too! :-)

I would highly reccommend the Beaver Ponds 5 mile loop trail at Mammoth Hot Springs, Mt. Washburn is also a popular hike, Bunsen Peak, the hike to Lone Star Geyser, and also the short walk to the Boiling Point at Mammoth. I would pick up a Y'stone hiking guide-there are several on the market. Before you go on any hike I would stop at a NPS visitor's center. The Rangers can tell you trail conditions, trail closings, etc.

Cody has a great museum and rodeo but is a long way from the park. You may want to save that for another trip.

Cody is an one hour east of the Park. Maybe it's because I live up here (or because I'm a Texan!) but I don't see Cody being a long way! :rotfl:

Finally, if Xanterra's website doesn't show any vacancies for your stay- call them!

:thumbsup2 I can vouch for this-some of our rooms and suites are not shown on the website.

They do not update that website very often and cancellations may not show up at all. I think Xanterra runs the lodging facilities extremely well, but their website- not.

Unfortunately, you are right about our website. It's horrible :rolleyes: I would encourage you to email the webmaster and voice your complaints.

(Don't forget Old Faithful Lodge -- It's the largest lodge structure in the World!)

I think you mean the Old Faithful Inn. The Old Faithful Lodge consists of cabins. I know, it can get confusing.

-if anyone's afraid of heights, do NOT climb all the way up to Inspiration Point! Were you brave enough? I wimped out.

Inspiration Point? Are you talking about the point up in the mountains that gives one a spectacular view the Old Faithful and Geyser Basin? It's just a short and simple little hiking trail. I'd highly reccommend it for viewing Old Faithful-it gets one away from the crowds!

We are staying at the Old Faithful Inn one night then the Snow Lodge for a night and then back to Old Faithful Inn. I have ALWAYS wanted to spend at least ONE night there so two is like very cool

Speaking as a knowledgeble employee I would highly reccommend against doing this in the same area of the park. Guests have to check out of the first hotel by 11 AM, take care of their own luggage, and then wait for their second hotel room to be ready in the late afternoon (we don't have a set check-in time). Then the guests have to check out of their second hotel by 11 AM, again take care of their own luggage, and then wait for their room to be ready at the first hotel. It does not make any sense to stay at the Inn on night 1, the Snow Lodge on night 2, and the Inn on night 3. It puts uneccessary stress upon the guests.

Donald, thanks for showing us your pictures~it's really a blessing that I get to view the Park almost every day! I especially love the picture of the bull elk in post #76. It's neat that I know exactly where that picture was taken!

Great photos! I'm even more looking forward to our trip next year now!

Great! :goodvibes

I made our reservations last weekend - two nights at Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel, two nights at Yellowstone Lake Hotel, and three nights at Old Faithful Inn (though they didn't have rooms with bath available, so I'll have to keep checking back to see if I can get a couple of those!).

I might be anal about this, but it's the Lake Yellowstone Hotel, and it's a really great choice :thumbsup2 Did you get a Front side room, a Back side room, an Annex room, or a Frontier cabin? Unless you could get a Mid-Range room (which are all located in the Old House) I wouldn't move from your room w/out a bath in the Inn-you will be in the historic Old House! What type of room did you get at Mammoth? If you got a Mid-Range room with two double beds then please be aware that your private bathroom has either a nice old-fashioned claw-foot tub or shower. Please do not assume that a "private restroom" inside the park includes a shower-many have tubs. If you have a preference then please call our reservations number and put in a request. You can also request to be near a bathroom at the Inn if you like. The reservations agent inside of me states that requests are not guaranteed :)

One more things-all park buildings are smoke free. Smokers must go outside to abuse their lungs.

I hope that all of the information I have provided will proove useful to someone, and if anyone has any questions about Y'stone feel free to ask me.

Edited to add: Please call our reservations number at 307-344-7311 and speak to a reservations agent to verify the information I have provided. Some things might change between your now and the time of your visit. :)

Inspiration Point? Are you talking about the point up in the mountains that gives one a spectacular view the Old Faithful and Geyser Basin? It's just a short and simple little hiking trail. I'd highly reccommend it for viewing Old Faithful-it gets one away from the crowds!

Sorry-actually, I was thinking about the Inspiration Point trail in Grand Teton NP, at Jenny Lake, after you reach Hidden Falls. I really appreciate all your information-I didn't even remember that there was that trail in Yellowstone.

Did you get a Front side room, a Back side room, an Annex room, or a Frontier cabin? Unless you could get a Mid-Range room (which are all located in the Old House) I wouldn't move from your room w/out a bath in the Inn-you will be in the historic Old House! What type of room did you get at Mammoth? If you got a Mid-Range room with two double beds then please be aware that your private bathroom has either a nice old-fashioned claw-foot tub or shower.

One more things-all park buildings are smoke free. Smokers must go outside to abuse their lungs.
Diane, thanks for all of the great information!!! Even though I originally asked about early October, we changed our dates to Labor Day weekend and the following week - the only hotel that was going to be open in October was Old Faithful Inn, and even it wasn't going to be open the whole time we wanted to be there! We really wanted to be able to move our lodging around the park rather than driving long distances every day. I had a friend who had to do that earlier this year because at the time all she could get was Mammoth Hot Springs, and she said they got really tired of all of the driving. You said Labor Day was "crowded" - but I'm used to being in Yosemite Valley over Memorial Day...and I can't imagine Yellowstone will be THAT crowded!

Smoke free is a bonus as far as we're concerned!

At Mammoth we have two mid-range rooms, with one double and one single bed. Thanks for the tip on the bathtub/shower - we'd definitely prefer a shower! At Lake Yellowstone we have two frontside rooms with one queen bed.

Sigh...I don't want to have to wait 11 more months to go to Yellowstone!!!

I'm so glad to hear the positive feedback on Lake Yellowstone Hotel. Actually, how are the cabins? We're staying there for 2 nights in June, also 2 nights at Jackson Lake Lodge (which we've been to before, so we know we'll love that) and probably one other night in Jackson.

Stayed in the cabins in September '05 and they were just fine. Newly repainted and decorated, but no idea of what has happened since then.. Plus there was a coffee pot, so come prepared. Now if I only knew how to attach a photo of the bison munching right outside our door!

Just found this thread and want to thank everyone who has posted tips and ideas for places/things to see/do while visiting Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs.

DH and I have been talking about such a trip since the spring, when we visited the Grand Canyon NP. It is great to have so many resources in one place and not have to go searching for them on my own.

Donaldis#1, your pictures are simply amazing!! I hope you don't mind if we use your idea for touring the parks.

Can anyone tell me if any of the park accommodations are likely to be open in early April? If not, what are the crowds like the last week of June or August? (Due to my work schedule, I have specific weeks during the year that I can go on vacation.)

Again, thanks so much for all your help!

Donaldis#1, your pictures are simply amazing!! I hope you don't mind if we use your idea for touring the parks.

Thank you! I don't mind at all if you follow my ideas. The one thing that I would change would be to fly into Billings, MT instead of Jackson Hole. Jackson Hole is extremely convenient from a distance point of view, but it is just so small that the flight and car prices were very high.

TY!

I had already pretty much decided on flying into either Billings or Bozeman due to the cost of airfare. DH and I have been known to be on the road for up to 24 hours, so the extra driving time won't bother us at all.

Well, lets keep this thread going ! I just made ressies for a 2 week trip this July. 4 nights at Lolo hot springs, 2 nights at Bozeman to tour Montana State for my DD, and 3 nights at Yellowstone (lake lodge), before driving home to Boise.

We did this last summer...flew into Bozeman and drove to Yellowstone, then to Jackson Hole. Its a VERY nice drive and very easy. Stayed in West Yellowstone for a few days on the way. GREAT TRIP!!!!! Bozeman airport is very small, relaxed and nice!

Anyone know what the weather is like in early April?

This thread brings back many memories. We own a week at Lake Condominiums in Big Sky, which is out side the West entrance to Yellowstone. A couple of years ago we took a train from Martinez, CA to Salt Lake City, UT (used our points round trip for family of five cost me $5 out of pocket:thumbsup2 ) Then we rented a SUV and drove from there to Jackson Hole where we stayed a couple of days and then drove on through the Grand Tetons up to Yellowstone. It was a great trip. We loved the shoot out they staged in the town square in Jackson Hole. We also enjoyed The Grizzly, Wolf Discovery Center http://www.grizzlydiscoveryctr.org/ We have been using our week as a trader for the last couple of years but now I think it is time for another trip back.:idea:

I don't think I posted this yet, but we were so impressed last year that we just made reservations to go back to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons in 2008. We're staying 2 nights in Yellowstone at the Lake Yellowstone hotel and cabins, and 2 nights in the Grand Tetons at the Jackson Lake Lodge. We'll be going the first week in June so, based on last year, we're expecting some pretty cold weather. DH is all set with his camera to take some more wildlife photos.

So I have done a little research on my own and figure that April will be just a bit too cold for my liking, so that means I can go either the last week in June into the first week of July or the last week of August. Am I right to assume that the week in August will be less crowded than the June/July week? There is a slight chance we could go the very first week in September, which I figure would be the best of all, but unfortunately, that's only an outside shot.

Which week should we go?

I would think that the last week of August would be better since some schools have already started.

I can go either the last week in June into the first week of July or the last week of August. Am I right to assume that the week in August will be less crowded than the June/July week?

Yes. August is less crowded then the peak of July.

Which week should we go?

That probably depends upon availability now. I highly reccommend calling the reservations center located in Yellowstone and talk to a live person who knows the park. We start taking reservations a year in advance, so I would call ASAP because availability is very limited at this point in time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter