• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yellowstone/Grand Tetons Advice - Updated with Photos - Post 63

I happened to be checking lodging availability this afternoon. Most of the Yellowstone hotels are showing no availability until mid-August. So we're really glad we made our June reservations last fall. And even at that,we didn't get our first choice of dates. On the other hand, there's still lots of availability in the Grand Tetons, which I think is the more beautiful of the parks. If you can only do one, I'dpick the GT.

TrendWest just opened in West Yellowstone if they don't have openings directly in the park.

Planning a summer 09 trip -me, DH, 3kids between 9 & 12.

Xanterra's website states they start taking reservations for summer 09 this Wed, May 1st. But I'm new to planning this trip and am somewhat confused!
We'd like to stay 4 nights in Yellowstone and 2 more in Jackson (probably at the start of the trip).

We like the looks of the Old Faithful Snow Lodge, but can you get to all the other areas of the park without having a rental car? We'll definitely want to do the Roosevelt Lodge cookout. Can we get there using Yellowstone transportation - what about Mammoth Hot Springs and other areas of the park?

I guess I'm just wondering if I should do 2 nights at the Snow Lodge and 2 nights at one of the other park hotels? We don't usually like switching hotels.....

I don't think you can do Yellowstone without a rental car! It's a huge park, and the major attractions are spread throughout the park - if you don't have a car you are going to miss an awful lot.

Another issue with the park being so big...it takes a long time to drive from place to place (you're not driving on freeways!), and if you don't stay close to the places you are visiting you spend a lot of your time driving to your destination, and then back to your hotel.

We're going this summer, and we are staying in three different places - Mammoth Hot Springs, Lake Yellowstone, and Old Faithful Inn. While yes, it will be a hassle to move every couple of days, at least we won't spend as much driving to and from. And besides, we'll get to experience more places that way!

I agree with ScooterL. You have to have a rental car. There is no other way to get around. I also suggest, as ScooterL did, that you may want to split your stay at 2-3 Yellowstone Hotels. I think that if you stay at only 1 place it will probably take you 1.5 - 2 hours or so to get to the other side of the park. Where are you flying into?

Has anyone stayed at Signal Mountain Lodge inside the Grand Tetons National Park? Has anyone gone on Signal Mountain Lodge's wildlife float tour?

Thanks!

What are the options for RVs? Can't imagine the price of gas from PA to there but the ride is part of the adventure in an RV. Just wondering about campgrounds. We are looking in to this for 2010.

Thanks ScooterL and Donald #1.

Not sure yet where we'll fly into - have some frequent flier miles on United.
Will probably take the advice of this thread and try to fly in MT.

Thanks ScooterL and Donald #1.

Not sure yet where we'll fly into - have some frequent flier miles on United.
Will probably take the advice of this thread and try to fly in MT.

Excellent idea. My rental car was over $400 for 8 days at Jackson Hole airport.:scared1: The next time I will definitely fly into a larger airport and drive longer instead of paying twice as much for a rental car.

Just seen your piccies, they are great and remind me of my visit in 1995. Would love to go back and have a great memories of Snake River and Jenny Lake.

Claire ;)

Just seen your piccies, they are great and remind me of my visit in 1995. Would love to go back and have a great memories of Snake River and Jenny Lake.

Claire ;)

:thanks:

Every time I saw the Snake River, all I could think of was Evel Knieval. Yes, I know that shows my age!:lmao:

Has anyone stayed at Signal Mountain Lodge inside the Grand Tetons National Park? Has anyone gone on Signal Mountain Lodge's wildlife float tour?

Thanks!
Not yet, but we're thinking about that float tour in June.

Donald is #1-:worship: Great Pics!!! We did a similar trip in Sept 05, brings back great memories. We fell in love with Grand Teton and YNP :lovestruc I agree about flying into a larger airport. Although Jackson Hole was very convienent it was also very pricey.:eek:

MrsPete-We were at Signal Mtn Lodge for 2 nights. We stayed in a Lakefront Retreat because I had to have the view everyone raved about. :rolleyes: Looking back I would not pay that price again. I would stay in a cabin and still get the view by taking a few steps out the door. :) Very convienient to Oxbow Bend. Sorry, did not take the float trip.

Happy Planning,
Cherie

We did a float trip using one of the NP concessioneers that has a Jackson Office. I can't now think of the outfitters name, but it was a very enjoyable trip. It was the float trip and in the NP . . . there is more than one company authorized to do those trips, and more companies that do similar, but not NP trips.

We did stay in one of the cabins at Signal Mountain lodge and loved it. Of course I love the whole rustic look and the room was pleasant. We heard coyotes at night....it was awesome.

We also did the float trip (I can't remember if it was with signal mtn lodge or not). but it was nice. We didn't see a lot of wildlife, but nice and relaxing beautiful scenary

Thanks for all the great pics. Brings back lots of great memories and warm fuzzies. DH and I got married in the Tetons. I can't wait to go back.

Bellona.....just have to ask where in the Tetons you got married? Was it that little log cabin church at the foot of the Tetons with the glass wall behind the altar overlooking the peaks?...Truly one of my favorite sights!!!! Talk about an inspirational place!!!!!

No. You are thinking of Chapel of the Transfiguration. We got married at Sacred Heart Chapel. Sacred Heart is in the middle of the forest. There is no window above the altar but the chapel overlooks Jackson Lake with the Tetons in the background. It was absolutely beautiful. We had about 30 of our family members fly out. My BIL crabbed about having to be dragged all the way out there when we could have gotten married at home. To this day he still talks about what an amazing trip it was and how he wants to go back. We are planning to head back in two years for our 10th anniversary. Show the kiddies where mommy & daddy got married. Can't wait to go back. :goodvibes

Sounds absolutely magical! We have thought about going back to renew our vows on a special anniversary.;) Thanks for sharing!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter