• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yikes!!! Just looked at the weather forecast....

We in NJ are "hunkering down" yet again. We have about 2 feet on the ground. It was snowing this morning and looks like it's changing over to freezing rain and sleet right now. This is supposed to last until tomorrow evening. I'm hoping it turns to all rain sometime tomorrow and gets rid of some of the snow on the ground. I'm running out of places to put it. Can you say FLAME THROWER?

We've been through the first round here in Indy. Everything is coated with ice, but it's the second round later today that they're worried about. They're setting up Red Cross shelters in preparation for later today and all the power outages they're predicting...ugh!

We figured we were ok - school cancelled last night, my DH let his boss know he was going to be working from home, and my DFIL (who babysits for us during the week) got here safely late yesterday afternoon. Then this morning, DH and DFIL went out to see how bad it was and DFIL fell and cracked his head open on the ice-covered porch. :eek: They're at the ER right now. Thankfully, the roads are still passable if you take it easy, and I think he's just going to look like Harry Potter for a while! Once they get home, we're hunkering down. No one else is allowed outside for a while!!

Stay safe, everyone! So many people affected...and more than just here in the States (or the Northern Hemisphere, for that matter!)

We've been through the first round here in Indy. Everything is coated with ice, but it's the second round later today that they're worried about. They're setting up Red Cross shelters in preparation for later today and all the power outages they're predicting...ugh!

We figured we were ok - school cancelled last night, my DH let his boss know he was going to be working from home, and my DFIL (who babysits for us during the week) got here safely late yesterday afternoon. Then this morning, DH and DFIL went out to see how bad it was and DFIL fell and cracked his head open on the ice-covered porch. :eek: They're at the ER right now. Thankfully, the roads are still passable if you take it easy, and I think he's just going to look like Harry Potter for a while! Once they get home, we're hunkering down. No one else is allowed outside for a while!!

Stay safe, everyone! So many people affected...and more than just here in the States (or the Northern Hemisphere, for that matter!)

I hope your FIL will be okay! I swear, ice is worse than snow! My kids always tease me for walking like a grandma when it's icy, but the falls can be NASTY!

Stay safe everyone!

Coming down really hard here north west of Boston! Already have 2-3 inches!

I was taking DD1 to the doctor's and got about 1/3 of the way there and then turned around, drove to work to call a client to cancel for my boss and went to CVS! Roads are HORRIBLE! I'm a wreck driving in the snow! DD2 is at school just down the road and will be home between 12:30 and 1. I wish now I had kept her home too!

Drive safely everyone! I'm home now until Thursday morning at least!!!!!

Here in the far far western suburbs of chicago they have been on the news for 2 days talking about how this storm my be a record setter all time. I am not as worried about the 20+inches of snow but the 40mph winds that will follow the storm. Our roads will be closed for days with drifting snow. At least we missed the ice last night. We just got 4" of snow that they are trying to get cleaned up before the big stuff comes this afternoon.

T

We missed all the bad stuff by 30 miles to far south. I really needed/wanted (another) snow day. I have a Algebra test today I would of loved to put off another day :confused3 However the weather is not effecting us for our drive down to Disney Saturday. :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Stay safe everyone!

We never got the Christmas lights down because of a snow storm on 12/26. DH has joked that he is waiting for the snow to be high enough that he can just climb on top and reach the roof. I think we might get there in the next two days! :rotfl:

Can you add Queensland to the list of Prayers

The podcast crew spoke about the floods which covered an area roughly the size of the Gulf of Mexico with damaging water that totally destroyed houses, even the ones on stilts.

About 20 people died during the floods and the inland tsunami that swept through inland towns.

Now a Category 4 cyclone (at this time) is coming to the state:

http://www.bom.gov.au/gms/IDE00035.latest.shtml

Roughly the same strength as Katrina to an area that is still waterlogged.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...-brews-behind-it/story-fn7ik2te-1225997552623

As the state premier called it "Huge and Deadly and get out". Forget crisis music, appealing to Mother Nature would be better.

Thoughts and prayers headed to the folks in Australia.

Stay safe!

Snowed in here in NY today, the school where I teach is taking our last snow day. After this they start taking away from Spring Break, and there is a good chance we will be home for the next two days as well!
Worst part is I have reserations at the Polynesain for Spring Break!
Boo Hoo for me!!!!

Seriously - I hope everyone and those you love stay safe.;)
Tammy

Last night on the news they were calling for 2 feet of snow. Now they are saying 2 to 4 inches. I hope they stay with that forecast :thumbsup2

We've had a storm a week for the last little while. The last storm I had to wade through to get to the barn was thigh high. When I got to the barn the snow drift was chest high :cold: We've got horses so I had no choice but to dig out the door. They like to be fed!

I'm ready for spring. Bring on the mud! :rotfl:

We are under a Blizzard warning....first time that has happened in about 30 years. Our town is virtually shut down. Stores were out of milk/bread/bottled water yesterday. We got a little ice yesterday, snow started early this morning. They are calling for 16-20 inches, but the 35MPH winds are going to add to the problem. I'm looking outside right now and visibility is decreasing. Should be a fun couple of days .

This storm system is a mess.

They have sever storms in the south with possible tornadoes. They have multiple tornado watches and warnings.

Then you have the ice that is coating areas and will be heading into Indy. I have family in Fishers and they are calling for 1" of ice during this. My cousin is 8 months pregnant with her first child so I am worried about her. Luckily they have plenty of wood for their fire place and have stocked up with food and bottled water.

Then you have the blizzard conditions that are hitting multiple states. In Chicago they are calling for 2 feet plus of snow and there is actually a worry about flooding along the lake (especially Lake Shore Drive). They are talking about closing the Aquarium and museums because it may get so bad.

Kansas City is currently having white out conditions.

I have family throughout Northern IL, Southern WI, and Central IN. I'm from Northern IL and I never experienced what they are calling for. I just hope everyone stays safe.

Sending good thoughts for your DFIL :grouphug:

I hope your FIL will be okay! I swear, ice is worse than snow! My kids always tease me for walking like a grandma when it's icy, but the falls can be NASTY!

Stay safe everyone!

Sending good thoughts for your DFIL :grouphug:

Thanks so much! He's home, laying on the couch, with five stiches in his head. He and DH brought home a "Warning signs of a concussion" sheet which we've all memorized, and he's a little annoyed with all of us because we've been asking him all day how he feels, and everyone that's not here is calling to ask him how he feels. ;)

We've had sleet/freezing rain (I still don't know which is which) since about 2:30 this afternoon. The wind is whipping around now...I'm sure the power outages they've been warning us about are coming. There's a travel warning out, and no school again tomorrow (no surprise). Stay warm, everyone!

We've got ice (freezing rain) all over the place. Been going, on & off, for much of the day. I had a REALLY hard time just getting to the mailbox to get my mail! The last hour & a half, we've been having intermittent blackouts. So much fun (NOT!) I'm thinking of unplugging my carbon monoxide detectors, because each time the power goes out they let out a high-pitched squeal. Doesn't really help the nerves... :headache:

Ice is definitely worse than snow... :sad2:

Sayhello

Just got home from work. Roads are not great, but a bit better than I expected. Cars doing 30-35 on freeway. Saw lots of salt and plow trucks out. As I am sitting here I can hear the ice rain pelting the windows. It wasn't fun getting hit in the face with it, like tiny ice chips. Glad to be home and inside.

We are looking forward to 3/4 in of ice tomorrow along with probable power outtages. Anyone have any pull with the groundhog???? Maybe we can bribe him to not see his shadow???

Hi: 39° Lo: 23°

Freezing rain and sleet this morning...then rain and freezing rain this afternoon. Ice accumulation of up to one half of an inch. Highs around 40. East winds 10 to 15 mph...becoming west this afternoon. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of rain in the evening. Lows in the lower 20s. West winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

I am in Western Australia - so nice and safe, but in northern Queensland where Pete visited the towns have either evacuated to southern areas, or are packed into shopping centres as they are safe from flying glass.

The hospital in Cairns was been evacuated by the Military so there is no trying to manage critical care in the disasters. The area the cyclone is going to hit was flattened by a cyclone 4 years ago, so it is Groundhog day.

To give an idea of the size of the storm, Google has a map where basically the storm covers the whole of the contiguous United States

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...around-the-world/story-fn7ik2te-1225998762870

The cyclone is still predicted to be damaging when it gets through to the centre of Australia (Uluru /Ayers Rock) which Pete also blogged about as being in the middle of a desert.

and the floods from early January

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...e-of-devastation/story-fn7ik2te-1225993627634

I think any Australian ABD will be postponed for a while.

Hi: 12.2F

Let's see, we are supposed to get 12 inches of snow, freezing rain and drifting snow as well. They qualify it as a "Blizzard". My university is closed [and it takes a lot for them to close that so it must be serious], and practically every other school is closed in Southern Ontario.

But on the plus side, its going to be sunny tomorrow with a high of -7.6F.

Stay safe everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter