Your "Oh, I wish I would've brought..."

Portable charging for cell phone/tablets. They are small and convenient. Can charge on the go, just attach, and throw into your bag. Saves you from having to track down an outlet in the parks.

I just ordered one off of amazon.com - it came yesterday and I'm very excited to not have to worry about running out of battery in the parks!

I think you just have to know what you personally are likely to use. For example, we rarely take OTC meds at our house. I couldn't tell you the last time I took a Tylenol or Advil, nor the last time either of my kids had anything. So, unless someone is actively sick, I don't take kids' meds along. I figure if I really HAVE to have it, I'll buy it either on-site or take time to go off-site for it. (And I have to REALLY need something to take time to go off-site; once I'm under the arch, I don't leave.) Likewise, with the suggestions here on the DIS, I've taken ziplock bags along -- never used a one, even though I use a lot of them at home. We don't often swim at WDW because we swim a lot at home, so keeping track of clothespins to hang up wet suits isn't a high priority for me. We have other routines for dirty clothes (I bring a plastic garbage bag) so I don't bring a pop-up hamper. My husband and I generally leave all our "stuff" in the same place every time are not like some people who are always looking for our keys, sunglasses and wallets, so I don't need to bring a bin to put that stuff in one place. I'm also not all that concerned about germs, so I don't bring Clorox wipes, handi-wipes, etc. I have had the same Shout wipe in my park backpack for at least 5 years. I bought a travel first-aid kit and haven't used the first item out of it as long as I've had it.

I do take a multi-arm power unit with me, so we can plug in all our devices in one spot. I keep a Sharpie in my car, so if I need one, I have access to it, and have needed it several times. As I said in my previous post, I carry scissors because I do find them to be useful for cutting tags off items, etc.

Everything sounds like a good idea when you read about it, but you just have to know what you personally are likely to use and what is worth the weight of transporting it.

I already narrowed my list down by taking out things that don't make sense for our family. I am also not a germ person so I can eliminate a bunch of Clorox wipes, we just use a drawer for all of the dirty clothes until we leave (everything gets washed when we get home, dirty or not) and we'll be eating in the parks so no need for a cooler. But this is our first disney trip with an infant, it's hard to foresee what we might need that normally we wouldn't. I do like the power strip idea and a sharpie to write our name on our stroller etc.

Just FYI, you can get band aids, Tylenol and Motrin at the first aid stations in the parks for free.

Also we use one of our empty suitcases for dirty laundry. We used to bring the pop up hamper but this works just as well.

Power strip, zip lock bags, sharpie, and scissors are must haves for us.

a small screwdriver

I wish I brought one on our last trip to change the batteries in our stroller fan.

This! And batteries! My son bought a remote control train one trip. The batteries for the train were extremely difficult to find (required AAA and 9V) and cost more than the train did, and then we had the fun task of finding someone with a screw driver to open both battery compartments. The next trip I wisely took a variety of batteries and a tiny screw driver set. Of course we used neither, but we had them just in case.

I also wished we had had a rain coat for my son. I ended up giving him my rain coat to use, which on a 3 year old went down to just above his ankles. He stayed dry though, but since it rained every day of our trip it would have been nice for him to have one that fit properly.

Cell Phone Charging Cords: make sure everyone has their own. I always remind my boys to bring their own since everyone needs to charge their phones overnight. Also, a portable charger is a great investment. I keep one in my bag and everyone takes turns giving me their phones when they need a charge in the parks. Also, be sure to bring a cord for the charger since it needs to charge overnight too.

Even with teenagers, I used lots of Wet Ones in the parks. Sometimes, like after a sticky snack, you need something more than hand sanitizer. I also use them to wipe tables and even a questionable-looking armrest in a show.

Ziplocks - all sizes. I pack a lot and usually end up using all of them. I keep one in my bag for my phone, wallet and tickets so they don't get wet on water rides or if it rains. My boys keep small ones in their pockets for their phones to keep them dry.

First-Aid Kit - I make my own in a large ziplock bag, including a thermometer, pain relievers, anti-nausea liquid, diarrhea meds, cold meds, cortisone cream, Neosporin, band aids, etc. I don't carry the entire kit into the parks, but I do bring a few band aids and some Tylenol. I was glad to have the thermometer and cold meds in August since DS18 caught a cold. I didn't have to go running out to get supplies to check his temp and make him feel better.

Did I read this right. ...write cell # on children?

Not a bad idea

I'm going to write cell phone numbers inside the Magic Bands and see how much my kids wear them before going to plan B. I wish we could have 10 digits to personalize Magic Bands because I would have put phone numbers in there instead of names.

Deep woods off for my hair. Those dang Love bugs were consistently hitch hiking in my pony tail. One rode all the way home. Yuck!

How much charging can tthe portable charger do? We will have two phones. ..I bought extra batteries...but the portable charger sounds better

caselaw3 said:
How much charging can tthe portable charger do? We will have two phones. ..I bought extra batteries...but the portable charger sounds better

I have the Anker lipstick style charger. It was under $30 and charged my Samsung S4 up 85-90%. Some people have reported getting a full charge from it, but I never could.

It was super light weight. I carry it with me daily still. The first charge or two took several hours so plan on that.

I bought the Jackery Giant off Amazon.com. The price was reasonable. Around $40 I think. It is not that big and not as heavy as I expected. I picked this one because we could charge 2 phones at a time. We charged our iPhones twice yesterday and still had 2/3 charge left. It is working out great for our needs!!!

If you have more than a week before you leave, mail a package with things to your resort. We did this and it was a life saver! We flew so we couldn't pack too much in luggage so one week before the trip, I mailed a box of juice, snacks, dollar tree souvenirs, etcand it was there waiting in us when we arrived to check in at our wdw resort.

I've done this too! Sent a box of snacks (and our little hot pot to make hot water for ramen and instant oatmeal).

That trip we just did carry on bags, so it made it easy and quick.

DS has asthma and food allergies, so I bring any meds he may need on a trip (even our portable nebulizer, which he rarely needs at home, but travel in hotels used to always make him have breathing problems). One good thing: you can actually bring on one EXTRA bag that doesn't count as a carry on if it's only medical things, over the counter or Rx, so for a long trip I've done that before. Plus you can bring more than 3 ounces, so I always have a new full 8 ounce bottle of benedryl liquid just in case. And lots of the little spoonful ones for his backpack.

We don't do hotels as much anymore, since we discovered the wonders of having a condo, so my list has grown to include spices, splenda, plus laundry tabs and dryer sheets. A pop up hamper is nice to have and doesn't take much space when folded.

A stroller - I took one until DD was 7 or so. She would tire easily! Only used it at Disney for years.

next year I am going to bring one of those "swimmer's towels". I don't know what they are officially called, but the kind that super soaks up water.

Rain in Disney is inevitable, so after last summer and too many wet bottoms from the rides - this will be a new addition to my packing list!:thumbsup2

I have been on the lookout for one of those towels for the past few months. Anyone know were to get one?

I'm a backpacker ad a lot of my backpacking things translate very nicely to park touring. My fist aid and sewing kits especially.

The best packable absorbent towels I've found are in the auto car section of Walmart - they are fake (meaning non leather) tan chamois cloths. They are big and come two to a tube. They wring out almost dry and absorb a ton of water and are super lightweight when dry. I have a couple in my pack for regular towel needs but have also cut up one into washcloth size pieces. They are just perfect.

I always carry pepto tablets, tums, and imodium tablets. Nothing can ruin a traveler's day than having an upset stomach or diarrhea. And it can be something as simple as the change in drinking water that does it.

I bring a copy of my eyeglass prescription- if I were in a bind, Lenscrafters can make most glasses in an hour. Although now I simply bring a spare of glasses.

Bring your insurance agent's telephone number as well as your policy numbers with you (especially if renting a car).

Also, and this is import in my particular case for my mom, if you are traveling with someone on a lot of medications, have at least one other member of your party have a copy of the medication list along with prescribing doctor's telephone numbers- if someone ends up in the ER and unable to speak this becomes very important.

Other things I always carry: binder clips, a small flat of duct tape, a situpon (aka one of those foam kneeling pads in the garden center that I've trimmed down to exactly butt width), a few small and large carabiners, a small led flashlight for my lanyard, a few regular rubber bands.

Forgot to add...

http://www.minimus.biz/ is an awesome place to buy single serving or travel size items.

I love them for my backpacking needs but they really cater to all travelers.

Thanks for the tip on the walmart sham towels, I'll check them out this week. I also backpack and know all about an ultralight. Last year I finally made the move away from an UL tent to a hammock and rainfly. I love it and can't imagine going back to the ground ever again....well I guess if I were backpacking somewhere that was void of trees, that might force me back into a tent but trees are luckily plentiful here in the Ohio Valley.

Thanks for the tip on the walmart sham towels, I'll check them out this week. I also backpack and know all about an ultralight. Last year I finally made the move away from an UL tent to a hammock and rainfly. I love it and can't imagine going back to the ground ever again....well I guess if I were backpacking somewhere that was void of trees, that might force me back into a tent but trees are luckily plentiful here in the Ohio Valley.
I'm not really an UL'er - I'm more of the tinker with a clanking back sort of hiker. I like the hammock idea but I think I'm forever a tenter - it's one of those things that having a tent with a floor and a zipper keeps me going into the woods. I'm too paranoid (lol and I know it's totally unfounded but no one ever said paranoia made sense) about snakes slithering in during the night.

I did just buy my first down sleeping bag - got here two days ago (lol then it rained this weekend!).

Oh - bonus about those Walmart Chamois - the plastic tube they come in is the perfect size to safely hold a package of rolled up wrap bread/tortillas :)

We make copies of all of our credit cards, license, insurance cards etc. if any of this is ever stolen we have all of the numbers etc.. so we can report it.
Also take pictures of park tickets, photopass numbers etc......

Dish soap to wash the refillable mug. (Didn't have it first trip and every beverage tasted like coffee)
I bring ziplock bags because I have a toddler in diapers and I may need a place to store soiled clothes. Last trip I used the zip locks to hold crayons when the box got torn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter