"You're crazy! It's too hot to live in FL"

Every time we SERIOUSLY consider moving, I see a story of a sinkhole swallowing a random car (Ocala this week), a snake coming out of a car (Georgia, but still...), or snakes making themselves happy in someone's pool. My biggest fears in life: death, snakes, massive bugs, and death by snakes and massive bugs.

Although, I will say, the most GORGEOUS creature I ever saw was in Florida. It was a dragon fly the size of my hand (not exaggerating - got a pic of it - it was at Pop or Coronado, can't remember...orange walls on the stairways). If all your creepy-crawlies were as beautiful and non-toxic as that...I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

:rotfl:I don't think any massive bugs here will kill you- the spiders can be scary, but I think most things are similar to the dragonfly you saw. Snakes... well, yeah. That one might be harder to avoid. But again, I rarely see them and when I do it's always something non-venomous.

I have never known anyone affected by a sinkhole in the 20+ years I've lived in FL. It's such a non-concern I forget they even happen.

I wouldn't let fear stop you from doing something you really want to do though!

:rotfl:I don't think any massive bugs here will kill you- the spiders can be scary, but I think most things are similar to the dragonfly you saw. Snakes... well, yeah. That one might be harder to avoid. But again, I rarely see them and when I do it's always something non-venomous.

I have never known anyone affected by a sinkhole in the 20+ years I've lived in FL. It's such a non-concern I forget they even happen.

I wouldn't let fear stop you from doing something you really want to do though!

:)

I am SERIOUSLY trying to work myself up to it. My dream is an ocean-front condo on the Space Coast. It's doable, $$ wise...it's just biting the bullet and doing it. Snakes be damned (but, shhh...don't let them hear me say that. I am sure they will make my life hell if they know I am terrified of them...)

I am SERIOUSLY trying to work myself up to it. My dream is an ocean-front condo on the Space Coast. It's doable, $$ wise...it's just biting the bullet and doing it. Snakes be damned (but, shhh...don't let them hear me say that. I am sure they will make my life hell if they know I am terrified of them...)
Ocean front? Not going to say never see a snake but way less than if you were in the Everglades, lol. A second floor condo (or higher) ocean front, and funds aren't an issue I'd be renting one every summer while consecutively house(condo) hunting for my own!

Ocean front? Not going to say never see a snake but way less than if you were in the Everglades, lol. A second floor condo (or higher) ocean front, and funds aren't an issue I'd be renting one every summer while consecutively house(condo) hunting for my own!

That's what I keep telling myself - high floor, ocean front = no snakes. I reallllly want to do it, and I have been scouring options on the Space Coast (currently in love with Indiatlantic, Indian Harbour Beach, and Satellite Beach...schools look good, too!). Just gotta get stars to align ;)

That's what I keep telling myself - high floor, ocean front = no snakes. I reallllly want to do it, and I have been scouring options on the Space Coast (currently in love with Indiatlantic, Indian Harbour Beach, and Satellite Beach...schools look good, too!). Just gotta get stars to align ;)...

I'd be all over Indian River Shores if I was after the Space Coast

matter of fact this one would suffice quite nicely

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...0.327998,27.663764,-80.443354_rect/12_zm/2_p/

Last edited:

I agree, but DH agrees with you. We live in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, where summers are hotter and longer than in Florida. To me, it's definitely too hot, but for DH, who's also from the Chicago area (Lake Forest), the weather is perfect, he loves hot. Just tell them it's a Chicago thing. You either get it or you don't, no explanation necessary.

I am in STL MO and dying of heat here as well. The humidity is oppressive. So much so we just had a 10 minute rain due to buildup. I am in a valley and which feels like living in a terrarium.

I LOVE heat but it does not love me anymore.

I live in Florida and have seen lots of snakes lately. I almost ran over a big Black Racer yesterday while mowing the lawn. Last week we had three Eastern Garters all together in a small planted area near our patio. I was able to catch one and let the kids hold it a while before letting it go. (We need it to eat the monstrous roaches and spiders.) Seriously, I do make sure the kids recognize the different types of snakes and don't try to handle them without an adult. We have seen a couple rattlers and coral snakes in the neighborhood over the years. It is good to be wary, but for whatever comfort it provides, snakes definitely do all they can to avoid humans.

Snowbirding is the only way I could really do it. I wouldn't trade the warm but not too hot summers of my area for anything. And, fall is really pretty special too. The beginning of winter (which is looong) is even something I appreciate. Spring... now that doesn't really seem to exist here!

I moved to the land of the mouse just over 2 years ago from Vermont.
I love it!!!
Yes, the summer is stinking hot and humid, but so is Vermont.
Central AC almost every where, including my house.
My own in ground private pool which I use 12 months a year.
No snow and ice, which considering my severe PTSD from an awful car accident, means I'm not trapped in my house 6 months of the year.
Pool area is completely screened, so seldom do the tiny lizards get in the lanai area.
I have an annual contract, my whole house,exterior, gets sprayed for bugs, all my shrubs too. My lawn is treated for all types of bugs, especially fireants.
Don't leave out any open food, wipe your counters, common sense things.
And I don't have problems with any interior creepy crawlies.
I do have a gardener. I have a black thumb, any bugs find me delicious, and I hate yard work!

I have an annual contract, my whole house,exterior, gets sprayed for bugs, all my shrubs too. My lawn is treated for all types of bugs, especially fireants.
I do have a gardener. I have a black thumb, any bugs find me delicious, and I hate yard work!

On average what does it cost for a gardener who also trims bushes and palms as needed and for bug control?

On average what does it cost for a gardener who also trims bushes and palms as needed and for bug control?
I pay my gardner $120/month and he is exceptional. I have over 1/3 of an acre, which is huge for here. He and his wife come every week. All of this is included in the $120:
  • Mows all the grass, right down the bank to the lake
  • Trims all edges with a weed-whacker
  • Prunes and shapes all my shrubs as needed, and I have about 30 around the house
  • Trims my 6 palm trees
  • Cleans up everything, ties up the trimmings and the city picks up yard waste every week.
  • I paid for the mulch, I have a huge flower bed out front and ringing the entire house. Jorge went and bought the mulch and they spread 90 yards of mulch by hand, and didn't charge anything for labor!
  • His wife weeds the flower beds by hand
  • They are amazing, so I tip them a few times a year.
My 2 annual contracts with the pest control company is approximately $575/year. They come every 2 months, alternating between the spraying and spreading on the turf. And, if I see any bugs, I call them and they're here within 2 days re-treating everything. I have absolutely no problems with bugs because of them.

You didn't ask, but since I have a pool....
I never had one, so no clue how to take care of one. I had to invest heavily in repairs, but that was due to the previous owners. I have a pool service. $80/month for weekly visits.
  • Check and adjust chemicals
  • Skim and vacuum the pool
  • Scrub the tiles
  • Take apart the filter and completely flush it
  • Twice a month, they completely hose down the lanai
  • Springtime, February/March, they come twice a week due to the pollen
  • When I have visitors, using the pool and jacuzzi a lot, they come every second day to check the chemicals.
The only other annual contract besides the security system is for the AC. $185/year, 2 service visits, no charge for labor if something breaks, just the cost of the part. (I used to purchase a lot of those parts, and they don't mark them up). And whenever I've had a problem they've come the same day.

So, overall, the costs are very low, especially compared to New England. I've got great people, trustworthy and honest. That's rare these days!!!!

Anything else? I'm happy to answer questions if I can. I'm thrilled living here. I can't see myself moving back to the frozen north. I do miss autumn, but it's okay, I can go visit the people who descend on me in the winter!:rotfl2:

I prefer to be hot over cold. I don't like all the jackets, hats, gloves, boots, long johns that go with cold! We don't live in FL, though. But we could maybe one day, when retired. Midwest here, and during winter every day I couldn't wait for spring and summer to hurry up!

So, overall, the costs are very low, especially compared to New England. I've got great people, trustworthy and honest. That's rare these days!!!!

Thanks for the information. I live in CT, and those costs don't come anywhere near the difference I pay in property tax alone when compared to what I would pay in FL.

Born and raised on the space coast and love it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter