• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zika Virus Warnings

ajmomouse

Mouseketeer
any thoughts on whether Disney will change the Fantasy eastern Caribean itinerary based on the President's warnings today about travel to the US Virgin Islands?

Just saw this on the news this morning. We will be cruising in May.

Maybe DCL will simply issue a warning to pregnant women onboard and suggest they stay onboard on port days?

President is now saying that no Americans should go. Wondering if itineraries will change

Wonder is in some bad places for it right now during the southern Caribean cruises.

I literally just came to post the same question as well are going the first week in March! I think its fair to ask the question. Disney tends to be pretty risk adverse so I thought that they may change the stops. I just emailed my travel agent and we will see what she says.

Personally, I'm totally fine if they change the stops but I don't want another day at sea! I've travelled to Malaria prone areas in the past and its not a big deal. But there is medication to take and prevent getting it. There are no such options with this new virus and I imagine Disney wouldn't love PR fallout of a bunch of young kids sick after travelling on their ships.

I literally just came to post the same question as well are going the first week in March! I think its fair to ask the question. Disney tends to be pretty risk adverse so I thought that they may change the stops. I just emailed my travel agent and we will see what she says.

Personally, I'm totally fine if they change the stops but I don't want another day at sea! I've travelled to Malaria prone areas in the past and its not a big deal. But there is medication to take and prevent getting it. There are no such options with this new virus and I imagine Disney wouldn't love PR fallout of a bunch of young kids sick after travelling on their ships.

Can you post any info you find out? I am fine with bug spray and the itinerary staying the same but knowing Disney they are not.

The biggest concern is for pregnant ladies because the virus supposedly causes birth defects. Supposedly the drug companies are working on a vaccine but it won't be available for a few years.

Don't know about what the President did or didn't say, but the CDC did expand its travel alert to include USVI: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/alert/zika-virus-caribbean

It's listed as "Alert - Level 2, Practice Enhanced Precautions" -- one step BELOW "Warning - Level 3, Avoid Nonessential Travel".

I hope that Disney just trusts people to use their common sense. But who knows...?

---------
From CDC website:

What is the current situation?
In December 2015, the first local transmission of Zika virus infection (Zika) was reported in the Caribbean. Local transmission means that mosquitoes in the area have been infected with Zika virus, spreading it to people. Since then, the following Caribbean destinations have reported ongoing transmission of Zika:
Zika Virus in Pregnancy
(Interim Recommendations)
Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. There have been reports of a serious birth defect of the brain called microcephaly and other poor pregnancy outcomes in babies of mothers who were infected with Zika virus while pregnant. Knowledge of the link between Zika and these outcomes is evolving, but until more is known, CDC recommends special precautions for the following groups:
  • Women who are pregnant (in any trimester):
    • Consider postponing travel to any area where Zika virus transmission is ongoing.
    • If you must travel to one of these areas, talk to your doctor first and strictly follow steps to prevent mosquito bites during your trip.
  • Women who are trying to become pregnant:
    • Before you travel, talk to your doctor about your plans to become pregnant and the risk of Zika virus infection.
    • Strictly follow steps to prevent mosquito bites during your trip.
Specific areas where Zika virus transmission is ongoing are often difficult to determine and are likely to change over time. As more information becomes available, this travel notice will be updated. Please check back frequently for the most up-to-date recommendations. Travelers can also consult PAHO for a list of Latin American countries with ongoing transmission.

Because Zika virus is spread by mosquitoes, CDC recommends that travelers to the Caribbean protect themselves from mosquito bites.

What can travelers do to prevent Zika?
There is no vaccine to prevent or medicine to treat Zika. Travelers can protect themselves by preventing mosquito bites:
  • Cover exposed skin by wearing long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
  • Use EPA-registered insect repellents containing DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE), or IR3535. Always use as directed.
    • Pregnant and breastfeeding women can use all EPA-registered insect repellents, including DEET, according to the product label.
    • Most repellents, including DEET, can be used on children aged >2 months.
  • Use permethrin-treated clothing and gear (such as boots, pants, socks, and tents). You can buy pre-treated clothing and gear or treat them yourself.
  • Stay and sleep in screened-in or air-conditioned rooms.
If you feel sick and think you may have Zika:
  • Talk to your doctor or nurse if you develop a fever with a rash, joint pain, or red eyes. Tell him or her about your travel.
  • Take medicine, such as acetaminophen or paracetamol, to relieve fever and pain. Do not take aspirin, products containing aspirin, or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen.
  • Get lots of rest and drink plenty of liquids.
  • Prevent additional mosquito bites to avoid spreading the disease.
Traveler Information
Clinician Information

Last edited:
That is unfortunate. This is the first I've heard of it being on the islands. My local news did say it would eventually be all throughout north America.

I found an article where it mentions Obama talking about the virus, but it doesn't say that he said nobody should travel there.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/travel-alert-expands-as-zika-virus-cases-spread/

It looks to me like it is only an issue for pregnant women and everyone else with a good can of deet will probably be okay. Mosquitos in general tend to spread really bad stuff. It's good to use protection whether or not a virus is in the news.

Yeah, as far as I can tell, the president basically said "this is serious, and we need doctors and scientists to keep working on vaccines and treatments"

It's NBD if you aren't pregnant / at risk of transmitting to someone who is pregnant. Most people don't even know they are sick. But if you're pregnant, it's a whole different story for the fetus.

Does anyone know if Disney has a history of canceling or rerouting due to such travel alerts? This can't be the first time such a warning affects a spot DCL travels to...

i read a link on another message board that said rcl was allowing anyone pregnant to cancel their cruise even if it is past pif. don't know if its true but it says a lot for the company if they are allowing this. maybe all the cruise lines will follow suit.

i read a link on another message board that said rcl was allowing anyone pregnant to cancel their cruise even if it is past pif. don't know if its true but it says a lot for the company if they are allowing this. maybe all the cruise lines will follow suit.
I was just thinking about this very thing! Offering an option to cancel/reschedule to those most affected without penalty seems like good PR, without overreacting.

Article published online yesterday- http://blogs.babycenter.com/mom_sto...oon-because-of-zika-fears-heres-how-to-do-it/

Most cruise lines say they will work with pregnant women to postpone or reschedule itineraries.

• All Carnival Corp. cruise lines are allowing pregnant women to cancel cruises in exchange for a future cruise credit with no penalties, according to Travel Weekly.
  • Norwegian Cruise Line officials also said they will work with expecting women to cancel cruises without penalty.
  • Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is going case-by-case, according to Travel Pulse.
  • According to the DisneyCruiselineBlog, Disney is inviting any pregnant woman who wishes to modify her reservation to call the Disney Cruise Line Contact Center for assistance, though there are no other details on the site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter