• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zika Virus Warnings

Where do you think DCL would go to instead?
Canada? In some of the info graphs, it looks like they won't really see much of it, likely due to the extreme northern-ness of it and colder climate?
I can just see DCL closing up Castaway Cay and make up an Inuit Island with native heritage center of the first people. Plus think of the boost to Canada's economy!

Back to seriousness of the thread. I know there is a lot of misinformation, a lot of speculation, and a lot of unknowing with regards to this outbreak. Just have to stay informed and take precautions.

Canada? In some of the info graphs, it looks like they won't really see much of it, likely due to the extreme northern-ness of it and colder climate?
I can just see DCL closing up Castaway Cay and make up an Inuit Island with native heritage center of the first people. Plus think of the boost to Canada's economy!

Back to seriousness of the thread. I know there is a lot of misinformation, a lot of speculation, and a lot of unknowing with regards to this outbreak. Just have to stay informed and take precautions.
I don't think Canada would fit in very well to a Caribbean cruise. Although, there are quite a few Scotiabanks in the Caribbean.

MUN

I am currently trying to get pregnant. Our Western Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy leaves on February 6. My OB-GYN advised to wear lots of bug spray, keep covered when I'm in port, and stay close to the coast. (I was going to do a ruins excursion in Cozumel but cancelled it out of an abundance of precaution).

First of all, if I was pregnant or likely to conceive, I would probably not to the Zika areas right now, at least not for an optional vacation.

I am not advising anyone not to be worried about it, but I am not worrying too much about it. While we lived in Asia, we spent many years vacationing in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Borneo - at least 2-3 weeks a year. DH was frequently also in India for work and we lived in China. These areas have widespread Japanese Encephalitis, Dengue Fever, Malaria (and that is just the mosquito borne illnesses..!) We and others traveling and living there didn't take the situation lightly, but you learn that mosquitos are not out on beach areas much during the day. I don't ever remember any bites. We had young children. I was even pregnant and youngest Ds was borne and grew up there. During Early Morning and Evenings, one has to be more careful, also in jungle and rainforest areas. The chance of getting bitten mid day on a beach or snorkeling trip is not very good. Thus, in the Carib I would be very careful especially in the evenings, BUT on DCL we won't even have the opportunity to be on the islands during early mornings or evening. The port times are too short.

First of all, if I was pregnant or likely to conceive, I would probably not to the Zika areas right now, at least not for an optional vacation.

I am not advising anyone not to be worried about it, but I am not worrying too much about it. While we lived in Asia, we spent many years vacationing in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Borneo - at least 2-3 weeks a year. DH was frequently also in India for work and we lived in China. These areas have widespread Japanese Encephalitis, Dengue Fever, Malaria (and that is just the mosquito borne illnesses..!) We and others traveling and living there didn't take the situation lightly, but you learn that mosquitos are not out on beach areas much during the day. I don't ever remember any bites. We had young children. I was even pregnant and youngest Ds was borne and grew up there. During Early Morning and Evenings, one has to be more careful, also in jungle and rainforest areas. The chance of getting bitten mid day on a beach or snorkeling trip is not very good. Thus, in the Carib I would be very careful especially in the evenings, BUT on DCL we won't even have the opportunity to be on the islands during early mornings or evening. The port times are too short.
My thoughts are much like yours at this point. I'll just be keeping an eye on the CDC and the facts that they put out as time goes on, as things can certainly change relatively quickly.

We were on the Wonder during the big ebola thing, and here we go again. During the ebola frenzy they did not allow us to take self serve ice cream (a cast member was stationed there serving it), and they made you use hand wipes at the drink station just like when you go into the dining rooms.
At least this can't be transmitted from person to person so there won't be any of that...

We were on the Wonder during the big ebola thing, and here we go again. During the ebola frenzy they did not allow us to take self serve ice cream (a cast member was stationed there serving it), and they made you use hand wipes at the drink station just like when you go into the dining rooms.
At least this can't be transmitted from person to person so there won't be any of that...
Like a hand wipe is going to kill the ebola virus!:laughing:

Some of what I've heard as well is that there is concern about controlling the spread. If an individual gets infected while traveling (pregnant or not) and then comes home and is subsequently bit by a mosquito here, you've now introduced it to a wider mosquito population and suddenly you have these cases that originated in America. I think it will spread though regardless, so I'm not sure how much these travel advisories will accomplish other than to potentially delay it a bit.

The goal, presumably, would be to delay the spread until after a vaccine/treatment is available.

The goal, presumably, would be to delay the spread until after a vaccine/treatment is available.
From what I read, that wouldn't be for YEARS. Travel advisories/bans couldn't practically be in effect that long.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35425731

"But they warn that although a vaccine could be ready for testing in two years, it may be another decade for it to be approved by regulators."

Last edited:
The virus is carried by the Aedes mosquito. From Wikopedia: " Aedes mosquitoes are visually distinctive because they have noticeable black and white markings on their body and legs. Unlike most other mosquitoes, they are active and bite only during the daytime. The peak biting periods are early in the morning and in the evening before dusk."

-- Suzanne

I've cancelled and then rebooked our adventure in Granada. We will have mosquito repellent and use it.

When using mosquito spray I used to find it extra helpful to hit the openings of my clothes a little extra. The neckline. Arm cuffs. Shorts cuffs. Oh, and socks. Don't neglect your feet. Also, wearing a cap that's sprayed is good, too. :)

Good info here. Thanks all. Our hesitation is due to disappointing our 6 year old son. He went on the dream for 4 nights 2 years ago (our first ever cruise) and loved it, as we did. Of course, that is just part of the decision. We have an appointment on Monday with the OBGYN. We will ask her. Hopefully she says the same as another poster that just precautions are sufficient. We are definitely, at this time, leaning very far towards canceling. The fear is if it spreads to the other islands, why make my wife stay on the ship in each port. That kind of puts a big damper on a cruise. We will see what the next few days brings. Thanks all.

Apparently the mosquito that carries Zika is a DAYTIME BITER, unlike some other kkinds of mozzies that like dawn and dusk.

See CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/zika/prevention/index.html

"Mosquitoes that spread Zika virus bite mostly during the daytime."

See also CDC: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowb...ion-against-mosquitoes-ticks-other-arthropods

Be aware of peak exposure times and places. Exposure to arthropod bites may be reduced if travelers modify their patterns or locations of activity. Although mosquitoes may bite at any time of day, peak biting activity for vectors of some diseases (such as dengue and chikungunya) is during daylight hours. Vectors of other diseases (such as malaria) are most active in twilight periods (dawn and dusk) or in the evening after dark. Avoiding the outdoors or taking preventive actions (such as using repellent) during peak biting hours may reduce risk. Place also matters; ticks and chiggers are often found in grasses, woodlands, or other vegetated areas. Local health officials or guides may be able to point out areas with increased arthropod activity.

SW

Good info here. Thanks all. Our hesitation is due to disappointing our 6 year old son. He went on the dream for 4 nights 2 years ago (our first ever cruise) and loved it, as we did. Of course, that is just part of the decision. We have an appointment on Monday with the OBGYN. We will ask her. Hopefully she says the same as another poster that just precautions are sufficient. We are definitely, at this time, leaning very far towards canceling. The fear is if it spreads to the other islands, why make my wife stay on the ship in each port. That kind of puts a big damper on a cruise. We will see what the next few days brings. Thanks all.

There are so many other vacations you could take instead. I'm mom to an autistic child (now high functioning). After having coped with his disability for years (you'll never know the pain, the financial expense & time investment in therapy, the endless anxiety about his well-being & future), I can't imagine why any expectant parents would consciously put themselves into a position where their unborn child could have its brain deformed. It's a real risk, & no vacation is worth it. Hope everything works out alright for you.

For those worried about it spreading...

From the CDC:

The U.S. mainland does have Aedes species mosquitoes that can become infected with and spread Zika virus. U.S. travelers who visit a country where Zika is found could become infected if bitten by a mosquito.

With the recent outbreaks, the number of Zika virus disease cases among travelers visiting or returning to the United States will likely increase. These imported cases may result in local spread of the virus in some areas of the United States. CDC has been monitoring these epidemics and is prepared to address cases imported into the United States and cases transmitted locally.

I'm hoping they change the itinerary. My wife is 6 weeks pregnant and we leave May 4th. Includes a stop at St Thomas/St John. It would be easier (for us at least) to have them make a different stop but we will see. I'd suspect that if she stayed on the ship at that port and wore spray or stayed in the pool/ inside it would be ok. Curious to see how this plays out and also if it spreads to castaway by May.
Maybe an Alaska cruise this Summer? The prices in May are not bad or maybe a back to back Bahamas cruise. I'm guessing you outside your PIF date so you have options.

Sigh. We are scheduled for the March 6 Magic (Castaway Cay and Nassau). I have also been trying desperately to get pregnant with out second for a looooong time. If I were to get pregnant this month or next, I am fairly confident that we would either reschedule or I would stay on the ship and let my husband take my daughter on all the excursions that I planned out. Which would make me incredibly sad.

I live in Houston and apparently it is already here....... so I guess the Bahamas will be safer for me! Seriously though, if I was pregnant or was thinking of becoming pregnant I would not put myself in any sort of avoidable risk. As Shanti said, there are so many places you can go. Also, I don't think I could truly relax if I was pregnant because I'd be so worried about getting bitten and that kind of defeats the purpose of a vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter