• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zika Virus Warnings

Some airlines are also allowing you to cancel your trips now too. I don't see DCL, however, changing their itineraries at this time.

From this article: "Now, travelers are advised to postpone visits to the US Virgin Islands..."

The CDC actually isn't advising postponing travel at this point -- except for pregnant women who they say should "consider" it -- that would be their "Level 3 Warning - Avoid Nonessential Travel". They -- SO FAR -- are just saying "Alert - Level 2, Practice Enhanced Precautions".

Last edited:

We leave Saturday for the eastern Carib. Looks like i'll be adding lots of bug spray to my last minute shopping list!! Thank God we have no pregnancy concerns because we would be canceling if we did!

Can you post any info you find out? I am fine with bug spray and the itinerary staying the same but knowing Disney they are not.

Absolutely - I will let you know what I hear. It does sound like some people get sick from it too - its incredibly dangerous for pregnant women but its also being linked to Guillian Barre Syndrome which is pretty serious. I think the bigger issue is more that its too early to tell just what the long term consequences of the virus are.

I work in risk management for a large international organization and I can tell you that we are discussing how we should address this issue going forward.

I will like to know what kind of bug spray people use. I take my dog for walks everyday and I get tore up by mosquitoes and i tried all the bug sprays.

We leave Saturday for San Juan and be have DEET spray and Wipes of their way from Amazon.

I assume since we are docked at all these southern Caribbean ports that even if we stay on the ship we will have to bug spray ourselves everyday. I don't want to go on a southern cruise and not sit in my bathing suit by the pool. This kinda puts a damper on my excitement for the trip.

I guess I'm staying in jeans and long sleeves for San Juan when we get there huh?

I've been to the Caribbean 7 times and no one in my family has ever gotten a mosquito bite. We tend to navigate towards beaches. I'm going to assume most of mosquitos are inland in the rain forest areas. I'm honestly not that worried about it.

I'm hoping they change the itinerary. My wife is 6 weeks pregnant and we leave May 4th. Includes a stop at St Thomas/St John. It would be easier (for us at least) to have them make a different stop but we will see. I'd suspect that if she stayed on the ship at that port and wore spray or stayed in the pool/ inside it would be ok. Curious to see how this plays out and also if it spreads to castaway by May.

While I think it is only a matter of time before this virus is everywhere, who knows. Regardless, I would be extra careful. If I was pregnant I seriously would weigh my options and probably would cancel. We have a huge group traveling on the Fantasy in August which, by then, this virus could be worse or forgotten (like the Ebola scare was). Time will tell. I plan on buying DEET spray to bring for sure.

Is this virus worse than the West Nile Virus (if non pregnant)?

MJ

It's NBD if you aren't pregnant / at risk of transmitting to someone who is pregnant.

As stated above, not true. Guillian Barre is a very serious disease that causes complete paralysis for an undetermined length of time. Aside from the attendant side effects of being immobile and possibly on a ventilator for prolonged periods of time, you must also be correctly diagnosed. In the past that may have taken some time, as it was a very rare disease. Now maybe it will be more forefront in physician's minds. From the Mayo Clinic website, regarding recovery:
  • About 80 percent can walk independently six months after diagnosis
  • About 60 percent fully recover motor strength one year after diagnosis
  • About 5 to 10 percent have very delayed and incomplete recovery
So, not as minor as just feeling bad for a few days.

That said, we have not changed our plans to go to Costa Rica in December. We will bring good mosquito repellent, and use common sense.

As stated above, not true. Guillian Barre is a very serious disease that causes complete paralysis for an undetermined length of time. Aside from the attendant side effects of being immobile and possibly on a ventilator for prolonged periods of time, you must also be correctly diagnosed. In the past that may have taken some time, as it was a very rare disease. Now maybe it will be more forefront in physician's minds. From the Mayo Clinic website, regarding recovery:
  • About 80 percent can walk independently six months after diagnosis
  • About 60 percent fully recover motor strength one year after diagnosis
  • About 5 to 10 percent have very delayed and incomplete recovery
So, not as minor as just feeling bad for a few days.

That said, we have not changed our plans to go to Costa Rica in December. We will bring good mosquito repellent, and use common sense.

About the possible connection btwn Zika & Guillian-Barré:

From CDC website: http://www.cdc.gov/zika/disease-qa.html

Does Zika virus infection cause Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS)?
Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS) is a rare disorder where a person’s own immune system damages the nerve cells, causing muscle weakness and sometimes, paralysis. These symptoms can last a few weeks or several months. While most people fully recover from GBS, some people have permanent damage and in rare cases, people have died.

The Brazil Ministry of Health is currently reporting an increase in GBS cases that have occurred at the same time as their outbreak of Zika virus, and similar increases in GBS have been reported following past outbreaks of Zika in other countries. CDC will be conducting a study in Brazil beginning in late January to determine if any relationship exists between Zika virus infection and Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

Another article on the subject: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/zika-virus-guillain-barre-syndrome-paralysis/

"He said the association of Guillain-Barré with Zika virus right now is just that. "It is just a possible connection, an association. We have yet to see this association be proved. But this report is very important and has implications for any person involved in the areas in which Zika virus is going on," he said.

More data is needed, agreed Dr. Lee Norman, chief medical officer at The University of Kansas Hospital. He's also an intelligence officer in disaster medicine planning in the United States Army National Guard.

"It's still a little bit early to know absolutely with scientific proof if it's cause and effect. We've seen Guillain-Barré forever and it can come from many different viral illnesses, or a vaccine," Norman told CBS News. There was an uptick in cases of Guillain-Barré syndrome in people who received the 1976 swine flu vaccine, but the CDC says there is little if any risk from typical seasonal flu vaccines."

Last edited:
Today's breaking news on CNN is that Zika is spreading "explosively through the Americas." Precautions may have to be used in many places until they come up with an immunization or treatment.

Just my two cents - I think the important thing is to monitor what CDC is saying and stick with the facts they put forth. When the media gets a hold of anything like this, they tend to go for hysteria and ratings (like with Ebola). I guess as a former Biochemistry student, I like to stick with closer to original source material on anything like this, and use that to evaluate risk for myself / my family. :)

I'm hoping they change the itinerary. My wife is 6 weeks pregnant and we leave May 4th. Includes a stop at St Thomas/St John. It would be easier (for us at least) to have them make a different stop but we will see. I'd suspect that if she stayed on the ship at that port and wore spray or stayed in the pool/ inside it would be ok. Curious to see how this plays out and also if it spreads to castaway by May.
Where do you think DCL would go to instead?

Some of what I've heard as well is that there is concern about controlling the spread. If an individual gets infected while traveling (pregnant or not) and then comes home and is subsequently bit by a mosquito here, you've now introduced it to a wider mosquito population and suddenly you have these cases that originated in America. I think it will spread though regardless, so I'm not sure how much these travel advisories will accomplish other than to potentially delay it a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter