• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

!0 year old nephew got earring

Disney Anna

DIS Veteran
My sister just called and told me my 10 year old nephew got an earring for his birthday. She loves it. I hate the idea of it. Just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts on the subject are.

I, of course, am not planning on saying anything negative about it. It's not my business and I only see my nephew a couple of times a year since we live 2,000 miles apart. But personally, I think he is too young for an earring.

My SO has one and I like it. But he's a 32 year old man. He's had his since he was in high school.

On little kids, they don't really bother me, but I don't really like them either. I suppose there are worse things the kid could want though.

I dated a guy in college who had a LOT of piercings, ear and otherwise. Now THAT is too much.

I also agree. And an opportunity to say 'Hi', Anna!!!! :wave: have not seen you in AGES!!!!!!! :cool1:

I see no problem with it whatsoever. If the boy likes it and his mom has no issue with it then there is no problem.

10!! Yikes...I think it's ridiculous...but then again it's ok to say...if he wants it then by all means get it done....(I am using sarcasim here)

Holycow

Don't like earrings in boys at all, regardless the age..........

I have seen kids as young as 4 with a piereced ear.......that is taking it way too far:o

Nope, I've never been a fan of letting little kids do something because teens are doing it. IMHO, it sets a precedent that may be problematic later on.

Disney Anna said:
My sister just called and told me my 10 year old nephew got an earring for his birthday. She loves it. I hate the idea of it. Just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts on the subject are.

I, of course, am not planning on saying anything negative about it. It's not my business and I only see my nephew a couple of times a year since we live 2,000 miles apart. But personally, I think he is too young for an earring.

I would rather see a 10 year old with an earring than a 4 year old...that's right, one of the little boys in DS5's 4K class had an earring for about a month. Supposedly he had to have it because his 7 year old brother had one. This little boy has a "cool" look about him that I don't think a 4 year old could come up with on his own..he wears a shell macrame necklace-has long blond hair-we call him "little surfer dude". I think his parents want him to look cool.. :rolleyes: After about a month, the earring was gone because it was bothering him..I don't think a 4 year-old or a 7 year old (especially a boy) uis responsible enough for a pierced earring..10 year old..depends on how mature he is....I like an earring on a guy, so maybe that makes a difference.

Does he have a mullet too?

I am not being funny--Really. Most young boys that get their ear pierced around here, well, they sport a mullet as well. Poor buggers.

Ear piercings for boys is a very 80's thing. Now, if he had asked to have his nose/eyebrow/tongue........ :rolleyes:

But, I think you are smart for not saying anything. Better to MYOB.

my 4 1/2 year old grandson just got one!!!..his mother (my stepdaughter) says it was an 'impulse' purchase she made last week?.....he's wearing a skull earring in it...now if you knew my grandson's biological father..you would be scared..he's a 'tattoo artist'..and has most of his 25 year old body pierced and tattoed..including one of those wooden circle things in one ear that's made a 1/2" diameter hole...yuck...I think it's fine to have a little girl's ear pierced..or a male's..when they are old enough to decide for themselves..but I think 4 is too young!..ok..off my soapbox now..you just happened to hit on what is a very sensitive subject in this house right now..lol!

I have one (got it when I was 19) but I wouldn't let my son get one until he was old enough to understand weather or not he truly wanted one... like High School maybe.

It wouldn't really bother me. I just never see that around here much.
If my son wanted to get an earring, it wouldn't even matter because his hair is long and it would cover it anyway. :) He is 15 though.

I just don't see why it bothers people so much. Where is the harm in it? If he later decides he doesn't want it, he simple removes the earing and it's all over. No big deal. I could understand being upset over a tattoo or something more permanent, but an earing is no big deal. My daughter is 13 and has no desire for pierced ears, but if she wanted them done, I'd let her. If she wanted her nose or eyebrow done, I'd let her. I'd say no to erotic piercings and piercings that have a higher risk of infection like mouth piercings, but other than that, I just don't see why it gets people so worked up. I think a ten year old boy with an earing would be cute and if it makes him feel better about himself, again, I ask where is the harm?

Personally I don't like the look in young boys....it looks silly to me.....

I don't see it as a big deal either. I doubt very much that an earing is going to lead to delinquency...There's so much worse out there that an earing is absolutely nothing, to me anyway.

It was a big thing in the 2nd and 3rd grade here for boys to get earrings.

So for 10, thats not a big deal.

I dont understand the big deal. If he chose it and its ok with his parents whats the problem? What if your 10 year old neice wanted hers done?? I would let my DS do it if he wanted it, I dont particularly like it, but its not like if he hates it he cant just let it close up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter