!0 year old nephew got earring

good thing the kid does'nt go to my kid's school-no jewlery of any kind for boys or girls. with a 10 year old boy all i can think about is the way they like to rough house-like wrestle around with their friends, it's gonna be painful if that earring gets caught on someone's shirt or jacket :guilty:

we have a friend who owns a tatoo/piercing buisness-they will not do kids under 12 (even if the parents are fine with it), they feel that even with ear piercings that it's not a choice a "child" should make. if the parent's are adamant they tell them it's thier policy and refer them to one of the mall shops.

I dont' see a problem with it.

It's not permanent...earrings can be removed, holes can close up.

Just like hair and coloring it funky colors...it's just HAIR...it can be changed..cut it, grow it long, shave it off...whatever, it's hair. It grows back.

Tattoos...different story...those are permanent...you gotta be DANG sure you want that art on your body.

Holes don't close up after they've been there for a while. I got three holes in my left ear over 20 years ago. I wore earrings for only about a year afterwards, but those holes are still there!

I'm not saying it's a big deal or anything, but you can definitely see them.

There are much bigger battles to pick, he's not your son, and IMHO you should MYOB.

Anne

Marseeya said:
Holes don't close up after they've been there for a while. I got three holes in my left ear over 20 years ago. I wore earrings for only about a year afterwards, but those holes are still there!

I'm not saying it's a big deal or anything, but you can definitely see them.

In the past I had five holes in one ear, four in the other, and one in my nose. All but one hole in each ear are closed up, and there is no visible scar on my ears, and the one on my nose looks like a pore. My boss wouldn't believe me that it was the result of a piercing until I showed him a photo.

Anne

stinkerbelle said:
I dont' see a problem with it.

It's not permanent...earrings can be removed, holes can close up.

Just like hair and coloring it funky colors...it's just HAIR...it can be changed..cut it, grow it long, shave it off...whatever, it's hair. It grows back.

Tattoos...different story...those are permanent...you gotta be DANG sure you want that art on your body.

I couldn't agree more!!! I'm actually toying with getting some fuscia streaks added to my hair. If I don't like it, it will be gone in three months--I wear my hair short. If I really hate it, I have a great colorist and it will be gone in a few days!

Anne

Nutsy said:
Don't like earrings in boys at all, regardless the age..........

I have seen kids as young as 4 with a piereced ear.......that is taking it way too far:o

A boy in my son's kindergarden class had one. He was 4 at the time.

ducklite said:
In the past I had five holes in one ear, four in the other, and one in my nose. All but one hole in each ear are closed up, and there is no visible scar on my ears, and the one on my nose looks like a pore. My boss wouldn't believe me that it was the result of a piercing until I showed him a photo.

Anne

I have no idea why those are still there. I tried putting an earring in the third hole several months ago and it still went in -- it was a tight fit, but it still went in!

I think earrings on boys or men are tacky and classless. I always cringe whenever I see Harrison Ford with his earring.

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I had my ears done when I was 10 and I wore earrings off and on from then until I graduated HS. After that I wore them less often,but I haven't worn earrings in like 4-5 years. Recently, my grandmother sent me a 'set' (as she calls it) that included earrings with a matching necklace and bracelet. I put the earrings in and was surprised my holes haven't closed up. When I told Grandma, she was surprised too. I think now she's going to send me MORE earrings to wear, cuz I really don't have a whole lot other than the ones she gave me. :)

TOV

ducklite said:
There are much bigger battles to pick, he's not your son, and IMHO you should MYOB.
The OP is MYHB. She just said she doesn't like it and asked everyone else what they thought. She said she wasn't going to say anything to her sister. She's merely discussing a topic here. And if you notice, this thread is nearly a year old.

Marseeya said:
I have no idea why those are still there. I tried putting an earring in the third hole several months ago and it still went in -- it was a tight fit, but it still went in!

Wow! I sometimes wich that some of my piercings hadn't closed up--yes, including the nose, but only to annoy my DH LOL!

Anne

Beth76 said:
The OP is MYHB. She just said she doesn't like it and asked everyone else what they thought. She said she wasn't going to say anything to her sister. She's merely discussing a topic here. And if you notice, this thread is nearly a year old.

I hadn't noticed the age. The MYOB was rhetorical, in other words she shouldn't say anything to the family about it. I have no problem with the open discussion here of course. :)

Anne

hentob said:
Does he have a mullet too?

I am not being funny--Really. Most young boys that get their ear pierced around here, well, they sport a mullet as well. Poor buggers.

Ear piercings for boys is a very 80's thing. Now, if he had asked to have his nose/eyebrow/tongue........ :rolleyes:

But, I think you are smart for not saying anything. Better to MYOB.

Wow--This thread is an oldie.

Almost a year later, my opinion still stands :rotfl:

to each his own

:confused3 not hurtin me any if people chose to or not to pierce whatever they dang well please

I have met very educated professionals with an earring and thought nothing less of them...
and I have met low life scum without one --

as for babies and kids - well that is their parent choice - not mine

I had dd's done when she was 3 montsh old...
never had any problems - always looked cute - for a few years she didn't even wear any at all - tough with sports - but when she wanted to dress up and wear some she could -
she seems to wear them a lot now - but she has to deal with putting in and taking out herself now - shes old enough!

But my other Dd we never got around to it when she was real little so now I will wait til she asks...
I think at a year and a half it would cause problems with her trying to tug at them.

buBut anyways I think some people should get off their soap boxes, not worry about everyone else... and look in a mirror.

personally i think this is a non issue ... the parent decides whether or not to allow ... not your kid not something you should bother with

I actually like it. Both of my DS' had an earring. They also went through the stage of dying their beautiful black hair, ORANGE! I let them, I always pick my battles with them. The way I figure it , is if that is the worst thing they do in this day and age, then I am very fortunate. It is usually a passing phase, my oldest still has his earring but the orange hair for both of them is long gone. They are both great kids. My oldest started college, my youngest is 10 th grade, both honor students and very responsible and I am very lucky with both of them.
:flower:

In the Bible for men to get a pierced ear symbolized a freed bondservant wanting to serve his former master willingly.

It's not just a radical thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter