!0 year old nephew got earring

Personally, I like earrings on guys. I don't see a problem with a 10 year old boy or even younger, for that matter, having one.

Cass said:
Live and let live... if your sis and your nephew love the earring then I think that great for them.. doesn't hurt anyone.

Personally I don't like earrings on men/boys (well except Captain Jake Sparrow ;) ) but it's okay for 10 year old girls to have earrings than why is it too young for a 10 year old boy?

I was wondering that myself - there have been several threads about people having their baby girls' ears pierced - why do boys have to be adults to make that choice? My dd is going to get her ears pierced for her 11th birthday. If DS, 13 wanted an ear pierced, I would let him.

No big deal. My son's getting his pierced next year. Many boys at his school have theirs done already. Are you guys looking for something to get uptight about? Plenty more important issues.

My son did when he was 10 (just a few weeks shy of 13 now). Ironically he doesn't wear it anymore, and unless you were right on top of his ear you'd never know. So, it's just not a big deal to me.

Some of the best parenting advice I ever got was to pick my battles and really go for the important issues. Was an earring that important- not really. Just like now- he loves to wear nothing but black head to toe- same sweet kid- just looks a little scary. Once again-- he'll probably get over this too- so it's just not worth fighting about. I'd rather tackle the important things that could affect his life.

I wouldn't have a problem with it. I had my ears pierced when I was 9. :confused3 It's not like it's a "gateway" piercing or something, a pierced ear isn't a sign of a future criminal.

This subject happened to come up between my DS10 and I today.I noticed that a friend of his had a pierced ear.I asked him what he thought and he said that he didn't like it.I don't like it either.Not necessarily because of his age.Just like I don't like certain haircuts,it is just personal preferances.

My son is 12 almost 13 and I would never let him pierce his ear. I also don't let him grow his hair long or have strange hairdos. We are just conservative here and don't need to get all punked out.

For me, it depends on the earring a guy might be wearing. If it's a small hoop, or a small stud, good. GIANT stud..bad. I've seen boys (and teens) wandering around with giant diamonds (or faux ones..I can never tell the difference!) hanging off their ears and it just looks tacky.

Same with most 'bling bling'...tacky tacky TACKY! Esp the giant silver/rhinestone microphones I've seen. I even saw a silver/rhinestone crucifix with Jesus wearing a ruby loincloth. Whoa. :rotfl2:

If it were my DS, I'd let him do it. I don't think guys with earrings are too bad. :)

TOV

georgina said:
I was wondering that myself - there have been several threads about people having their baby girls' ears pierced - why do boys have to be adults to make that choice? My dd is going to get her ears pierced for her 11th birthday. If DS, 13 wanted an ear pierced, I would let him.

Totally! I think it's very individual and as long as the child wants it and is going to be able to take care of it (with help if necessary) then fine... but on babies, I just think imagine subjecting baby to that. I actually saw it being done in the mall last year and I just thought it was such a shame. I don't get this "no jewellery on a guy" thing. Why does everyone judge immediately based on what someone is wearing? And why do women get the better deal on this? To the original poster... we will look for your nephew on Most Wanted or CrimeWatch UK in 10 yrs (read sarcastically!!!). :rotfl2:

No way in hades is my son getting his ear pierced. Sorry, it looks trashy- just my opinion.

Mermaid, I agree. Also I agree with the poster about him needing a mullet too. The whole thing just reeks of redneck-ism.

LindsayDunn228 said:
Mermaid, I agree. Also I agree with the poster about him needing a mullet too. The whole thing just reeks of redneck-ism.

That's generally the kid you see with an earring around here- a redneck bully with the IQ of his parents.

Disney Doll said:
Yet another parent trying to be their kid's friend instead of his parent.

AMEN!!

I don't get this whole "if my kids wants it I will let him/her have it" mentality. I wanted a lot of things as a kid and my mother had a word she used. Let see, what was it again?? Oh I remember! It was, "NO".

I wish more parents today would use it. Your kid may hate you for it for awhile but he/she will get over it.

I'd rather see a ten year old boy with an earring than a newborn baby. I think earrings on babies look ridiculous. My mother waited until I was old enough to choose whether I wanted pierced ears or not.

In Chicago it would not be an issue, the schools will not let boys wear earrings. If it is pierced they have to take them out. My 2 DS's wanted them at about 15, but I told them to wait until they were 18 and out of school. They are now 23 and 27 and neither one have an earring.

My DS who is 23 got his tongue pierced at 19, it lasted about 3 days until he swallowed it. :teeth:

epcotfan said:
I'd rather see a ten year old boy with an earring than a newborn baby. I think earrings on babies look ridiculous. My mother waited until I was old enough to choose whether I wanted pierced ears or not.

I waited until my DD was 10 to get her ears pierced and it was the best decision I could have made.

She asked to have it done and we made a whole day of it -- going to the mall and picking one out, going out to eat, seeing a movie, shopping. It was all so special for us. That was back last April and we still talk about how nice it was. She proudly went to school showing off her new earrings. Of course, 99% of the other girls already had earrings since they were babies, so it was nothing new for them.

If a new mother ever asked my advice, I'd tell her about our day. It was such a great milestone. :goodvibes

Marseeya, that's exactly what my mom did with me. :) I think it is a nice milestone when you get to do something sort of grown up with your mom. :)

WebmasterRegina said:
Nope, I've never been a fan of letting little kids do something because teens are doing it. IMHO, it sets a precedent that may be problematic later on.
The voice of reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter