11/06/04 Western New and Improved Official Thread!

Hello fellow cruisers. I just thought I would make a post so we don't end up on the last page! I got my DCL Passporter in the mail yesterday and I am going to spend this cold, rainy day in Michigan reading it in my nice, warm bed! Hope everyone is doing fine.

Hi to all -
We (me and DW) just noticed this thread and can't wait for our cruise. Is it too early to start thinking about a Disboard meeting
place, day and time yet ? We talk about the cruise with our children and grandchildren almost every day. The anticipation
is half the fun.

howardk613,

We could start coming up with Disboards meet location and time suggestions. This is our 1st DCL cruise so I unfortunately can't help with any ideas!:confused:

We still haven't told our kids about the cruise yet. We were watching the Extreme Makeover show where the family went on the DCL cruise and I asked my oldest what he would do if he were on a cruise and he said "swim in the pool." Well that just cracked me up because it doesn't matter where we go, the kids biggest concern is the POOL!!

If anticipation is half the fun then maybe I need to tell the kiddies soon!

Hi,

I can't help out with a meeting place either because this will be our first time also.

Scottygirl, you have to tell the kids. My son has known about it since last February and the closer we get the more excited he's getting. We watch the tape at least once a week (haven't gotten the DVD yet).

TYTY,

Talked to DH and told him that it's time to share the fun with the kiddies. We will tell them soon. I'm trying to come up with a fun way to tell them. I have a DCL puzzle and the DVD. Any suggestion? Let's get this thread rolling!! I have read some of the other Cruisemeets threads and they are having a lot of fun in cyberspace!

:jester:

Well, *I* am the queen of planned procrastination. When we took our first WDW trip, we didn't tell our DS6 until my sister and her daughter (age 7) showed up. We had the video camera ready to tape his response, and his cousin bounced into the backyard and asked my DS "Wanna go to Disney World?"

What did DS do? He ran into further into the back yard, yelling "NO, I WANT TO PLAY WITH MY COUSIN IN THE BACK YARD!"

I kid you not. We had to drag him into the car, practically kicking and screaming. It took about five minutes of explaining where we were going and that his cousin was going too before he realized it MIGHT be more fun than staying home and playing in the back yard.

And we got it all on tape. Can't wait 'til he's engaged! LOL

We delayed telling him because I didn't want to hear "When are we going?" a billion times. And honestly, that was kind of nice, LOL.

This trip, we hadn't told DS (now 9), until this weekend, even though we've been planning for the last year plus. And we told him this weekend because even though we've been talking about the trip in front of him and brochures are left about the house, he hadn't noticed until a conversation at a wedding this past weekend. Someone asked me (in his presence) about an exciting vacation we had planned, and DS looked inquisitively at me. So I asked him if he'd like to visit the Carribean (we had also watched Pirates of the Carribean for the first time last week). He naturally said YES! because he wants to now be a pirate, LOL. So I asked him if he wanted to visit Mexico, the southernmost point of the US, and Mickey's personal island. He's excited, to say the least.

We'll be using this over the next several months as geography, history, cultural and social lessons- I'm as excited about this as he is! Plus, we can now start the "Do you really want to buy that toy? Perhaps you should save that $5 for the cruise..."

TYTY's son was very concerned that we hadn't told our DS, but is very happy now that he's in the know, LOL. And finally, my DS and his cousin can chat about the fun they will have in November!!

Anyway, that's my procrastination story. :)

Oh, and as for a Disboard meet on board, I'm with TYTY and Scottygirl.

Howard, perhaps you can tell us of Disboard meets you've experienced, and tell us what you think makes them successful! When is the best time to meet? Where? How?

sjcubedofct,

Loved your story! We thought about not telling the kids until we got to the port, but frankly I don't think I can keep a secret that long! It's killing me now as it is. Friends, family and neighbors know we are going (spilled the beans at Bunco after that second glass of wine) now I feel like I am lying to my kids! I think my kids are old enough now that I won't get that when are we going, when are we going line!

I love your idea about using the months ahead as a learning tool. I always try to get them to do some summer enrichment (other than the pool). The library has a great summer program and maybe I can encourage them to read about the places we are visiting.

Hey Howard, we need your advice!!!

Talk to you later cruisers!

pirate:

Hiya fellow cruisers!!! We're flying in on November 5th around 6PM, and staying at the Hyatt. It's me 34, DH 35, DD 6 and DS 3. We're really looking forward to the cruise. We plan on doing Key West ourselves, Captain Marvin's half-day in Grand Cayman, and heading to Mr. Sancho's in Cozumel.

Hi All,

We are part of HowardK613's group of 90. We went on the cruise with them in November 2002 and had a blast!! We are counting down the day's till we all meet again!! It is DW Maryann, DH Sean, and our 2 dd's, 11 and 9, my neice 13 and our neighbors are also joining us again. We are flying in on Nov 5th, not sure where we are staying for the night yet! Last cruise we flew in on the morning of, way too stressful.

Maryann
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

lUVTOGO and jel0511,

Welcome to our Cruisemeets thread! Glad to see we are getting more participants.pirate:

We are almost at the 6 month mark!:hyper:

It's a monthly opportunity for 12 women to get together and play a dice game while chatting and munching. I'm an alternate for my sister's group, so I only play two or three times a year, but it's a great group of women and we have a good time.

SJ

sjcubedofct & TYTY,

I think Bunco is popular nationwide. There was an article in the Detroit Free Press this week about Bunco and an author who wrote a Bunco cookbook! ::yes::

We are arriving on the 27th and staying at wdw until the 6th. Oh happy day!!! We have late dining. See you real soon:wave2:

By the way, my DH and I played Bunco with 5 other couples just last week. It was our first time. It was really fun. So for sure it isn't just in CT!!! Have a good one. Nancy

All of our previous cruise have been in the spring. Anyone ever cruised in Nov before? How is the weather? DO we need to worry about hurricanes?

Hi :smooth:

I've sailed twice before in Nov. The first was smooth sailing. The second we had to miss one of our islands because there was a hurricane near it. Honestly, if the captain didn't tell us this, I never would have known. It was beautiful and sunny out, we just sailed on to our next island.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter