2020 Watch??

Yes, it will be 2 release dates. Probably May 2019 to see that October 2020 release. I’m interested to see if there will be an 8 night Caribbean cruise in October, but don’t want to pass on a great September rate, so may book and move that reservation, esp since it will be a placeholder booking

Hi! First time Cruiser here! I had further questions about this.

Me and my Fiance are looking for either Late September or Late October. We are shooting for our wedding to be in the fall October being the preferred date however we are extremely flexible as getting the cruise we want at a good price is more important. Your suggestion is to book a potential cruise in September and change it to an October one if one comes up that is better to not miss out on the rate. Is this easy to do? I dont have a travel agent or anything like that (Yet) and is this something you could easily do yourself?

Hi! First time Cruiser here! I had further questions about this.

Me and my Fiance are looking for either Late September or Late October. We are shooting for our wedding to be in the fall October being the preferred date however we are extremely flexible as getting the cruise we want at a good price is more important. Your suggestion is to book a potential cruise in September and change it to an October one if one comes up that is better to not miss out on the rate. Is this easy to do? I dont have a travel agent or anything like that (Yet) and is this something you could easily do yourself?

I use a travel agent. I use Dreams Unlimited and they take care of everything for me. You could look into them here on this site. They do offer onboard credit too.

People can testify that the prices for certain cruises have gone up within hours of the same opening day. I remember one person saying the price was different from the beginning of the call to when they decided to book at the end of the call. Scary! So my advice would be to book on opening day and then reshop it on board to see if the price is better with the OBC.

Touring Plans' Disney Cruise Line Fare Tracker is a very interesting site for looking at the historical prices for various cruises. Assuming it's accurate, you can get a pretty good idea whether a certain cruise will be cheaper to book on opening day or onboard (granted, you have nothing to lose in the long run by booking on opening day and then possibly re-booking on board - just the minor hassle of possibly having to make two bookings).

Touring Plans' Disney Cruise Line Fare Tracker is a very interesting site for looking at the historical prices for various cruises. Assuming it's accurate, you can get a pretty good idea whether a certain cruise will be cheaper to book on opening day or onboard (granted, you have nothing to lose in the long run by booking on opening day and then possibly re-booking on board - just the minor hassle of possibly having to make two bookings).

Just be aware if you are looking at Concierge, those reservations can (usually) be moved, but are non-refundable deposits.

I read somewhere that the typical increase per year for Disney is about 10%. Has anyone found that to be correct? Trying to figure out an estimated cost for Alaska 2020 and I am being impatient waiting for Thursday to roll around.

I read somewhere that the typical increase per year for Disney is about 10%. Has anyone found that to be correct? Trying to figure out an estimated cost for Alaska 2020 and I am being impatient waiting for Thursday to roll around.
I have no idea but my BS detector is ringing. Using the "rule of 72" would mean that at an increase of 10%, cruises would double in price about every 7 years or cruises 7 years ago were half the price that they are now. That doesn't seem right.

I would bet that the actual increases are more in line with inflation 3-3.5%

The dates for Summer 2019 were released last year on March 1, so odds are in favour of them being released this week. A co-worker has snafued my Hawaii cruise plans so I am hoping for something interesting to be released, maybe a Greek Isles.

Hmm. Greek Isles would make it harder to decide what I want to book since I'd love to go there, too. We can hope!

I have no idea but my BS detector is ringing. Using the "rule of 72" would mean that at an increase of 10%, cruises would double in price about every 7 years or cruises 7 years ago were half the price that they are now. That doesn't seem right.

I would bet that the actual increases are more in line with inflation 3-3.5%

Well, according to the Touring Plans fare tracker, the Eastern Fantasy cruise that my family took in March 2014 opened at $5644 for 2A2C in cat 5E. That same cruise for the same week in March 2020 opened at $8081 for the same passenger configuration and category, for a compound inflation rate just over 6%. In Canadian dollar terms, the increase is more like 11% compounding, because the CAD has depreciated considerably against the USD over that time period.

So yeah, for some people and some cruises the actual cost has doubled (or more) over the past 7 years or so. And even if you're fortunate enough not to be paying a currency premium, I'm willing to bet that there are some time/itinerary/category combinations that have doubled over that period in USD terms alone. But it's not that bad across the board. 5% is probably more typical. I think that if you looked at the data, you'd find 3-3.5% to be very much on the low end of the scale. And the inflation rate over that period has been a good deal lower than 3%. (A quick Google search gave me 1.5% per year from 2012-2018.)

One thing DCL has changed in recent years is their opening day pricing. Used to be typical for prices to start low on opening day and rise rapidly. Now they tend to just open high and stay there, especially for more popular cruises. Or they may go higher, but generally not as fast. So that makes price comparisons more difficult too, because "opening day" pricing was not necessarily the majority experience 7 years ago. The increase for someone who typically books a couple of months or more after the release might not be as apparent.

ETA (@kpallas3):
Alaska, 2 adults, Cat 5A:
July 1, 2013, $6,233 at 160 days prior to sail date.
July 1, 2019, $11,739 on opening day. $12,439 at 194 days.
And that's over 6 years, not 7.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter