A Disney-addicted mom plans a trip in August, 2010! *New pics #574*

We're leaving on a non-Disney mini-vacation today. I'm excited about it but also a little disappointed. I had planned to spend the February school holiday in California. I wanted to take the family to San Diego and then Anaheim (yup, Disneyland). I spent weeks planning the trip. My DH was reluctant but said ok. Before we booked the trip, he changed his mind. He decided that we shouldn't spend that much $$$ on vacation. Especially since we had a 4 day Disneyworld trip in December. Instead we're spending 2 nights at Rocking Horse Ranch. Which looks cool and is only 90 minutes away. But I'd rather be in Southern California right now!

Amanda

I think that sounds great! One of our best family vacations to date was Vail, CO in the summer and it included a day trip to a ranch so you should have lots of fun! I differ with lots of DISers because I don't want ONLY Disney vacations. I'm SUPER excited about our upcoming trip and the planner in me loves that there is so much to think about and plan if you want to with a Disney trip. However we'll continue to do other things too-it's a big world out there and I want to see as much of it as possible! Have fun on your trip! :goodvibes

I think that sounds great! One of our best family vacations to date was Vail, CO in the summer and it included a day trip to a ranch so you should have lots of fun! I differ with lots of DISers because I don't want ONLY Disney vacations. I'm SUPER excited about our upcoming trip and the planner in me loves that there is so much to think about and plan if you want to with a Disney trip. However we'll continue to do other things too-it's a big world out there and I want to see as much of it as possible! Have fun on your trip! :goodvibes

I definitely don't think that Disney is the only vacation. There are tons of vacations that I want for my family! I'm waiting for the baby to get a little older because he's not an ideal age for long flights and he's too young for any children's programs.
On my short list - Beaches Turks and Caicos (way expensive but it's supposed to be awesome), Atlantis, Disney Cruise, Hawaii (long flight but awesome), Europe (one of my brothers lives in London and has a vacation home in rural France), etc.
I feel like Disney is an ideal vacation for the ages that my kids are right now!

Amanda

I'm baaack! We had a great time but I'm exhausted!!!
Waiting in the mailbox was our 1st mailing about our upcoming trip from Disney Destinations! So cool!!! Whenever I finish one vacation, I need to have another in the works or I get super-sad. Now I can focus on my Disney planning. And my 180 day window for ADRs is Tuesday!!!

Amanda

Hello! :wave2: I stumbled across your PTR and thought I would follow along. Looking forward to reading how your ADRs come out. My family's date is fast approaching too! :goodvibes

I "borrowed" the movie night idea from here (thanks Hope!). We just got back from a horse ranch and the kids had brand-new cowboy (and cowgirl) hats so we started with Toy Story 2. I'm trying to think up some creative ideas for the upcoming weeks. We have Blockbuster.com so I need to add some kiddie movies to my list, too.
I'm thinking of The Little Mermaid and having fish sticks for dinner one night. And if I can borrow Beauty and the Beast doing a French theme - maybe trying to make crepes?
I need ideas for the princess movies that won't give my sexist son hives! :rotfl2:
I can do a space-theme with Star Wars (his current obsession) but my younger two won't watch those movies.

Amanda

I'm pretty new to PTR's and TR's (reading and writing them) but have become addicted! lol Yours is great so far and I can't wait to read more.

You guys must have had fun if you were ready for more cowboy stuff when you got home, lol. Have you seen this thread? It is FULL of great ideas for movie parties. :goodvibes

You guys must have had fun if you were ready for more cowboy stuff when you got home, lol. Have you seen this thread? It is FULL of great ideas for movie parties. :goodvibes

Thanks Hope! We had a blast!!! There was so much to do and not enough time! The kids were too young for horseback riding but they did pony rides, skiing, snow tubing, lots and lots of swimming! The indoor park water was perfect for my kids and made me excited for SAB at BC!!!!

Amanda

The countdown to 180 day ADRs is on! Tuesday morning!!! I hope the online system is up and running because it's an early day at work for me. I have to leave home by 6:30am. I can probably call from work but it'll be a bit crazy. I'm better off trying to use the online system at 6am.

In my crazy, plan-ahead mind I'm already thinking about next February's school holiday. Maybe because next year's school calendar is out now???? Anyway I'm considering DCL. There's a 4 day cruise that works out well with the school holiday. Hmmm..... Need to do some research on that!

Amanda

Heehee, my family thinks I'm nuts when I start talking about next year's vacation when this year's is still 7 months away! That's one of the things I love about the DIS- I know I'm not the only one. :rolleyes:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who starts to think of the next vacation before we've even been to the one we're currently planning! I keep talking about going to Disney for a day or so in September and my husband keeps saying "Let's go in March first and then we'll talk about it." :lmao:

Heehee, my family thinks I'm nuts when I start talking about next year's vacation when this year's is still 7 months away! That's one of the things I love about the DIS- I know I'm not the only one. :rolleyes:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who starts to think of the next vacation before we've even been to the one we're currently planning! I keep talking about going to Disney for a day or so in September and my husband keeps saying "Let's go in March first and then we'll talk about it." :lmao:

I'm so happy to hear that I'm not alone in my craziness! :thumbsup2
I just got a flyer in the mail for a conference being held in April at BC. I might talk to my boss and see if I can arrange to go. And have work pay for it! How awesome would that be??? I'd need to find babysitting for the kids but still....

Amanda

Looking forward to hearing about your ADRs. Oh, you might try before 6:00 if you are up earlier--the online system has allowed reservations earlier than 6:00.

I'm glad to know I am not the only mulling over options for another vacation....prior to the first one being done! :rotfl:

Thanks for the good wishes for the ADRs!
My ADRs were a bit of a fiasco. My fault for getting my dates confused and not having a great back-up plan. Somehow I convinced myself that Fantasmic! was on Wednesday instead of Tuesday which messed up some stuff. I got myself on the website at 6am and spent 30min doing ADRs. When I tried to book Mama Melrose (for Wed because I have not brain), it didn't say anything about the Fantasmic! package. And when I tried to book Le Cellier, the only option was 8:30pm (past bedtime for my kids so not an option). I had to leave for work at 6:30am anyway. At 7am I called from my cellphone (TG for bluetooth) and spoke to a person. He straightened out my mistakes. Mama Melrose wasn't available for Tuesday so we're doing Hollywood & Vine instead (not a terrible choice but we've done the Play and Dine there 3 times already and I was hoping for a break from the place - at least no characters this time!). He looked for something for Le Cellier but it wasn't happening. I had to make a snap decision so I chose Rose and Crown instead but now I'm doubting myself on that one. The CM could not have been nicer or more patient with me! He also helped me book the Albatross Cruise for the big kids which I'm excited about.

Amanda

Without further ado, here are my current ADRs (and subject to change!):

Sunday: Arrival day. Possible dinner at Big River Grille
Monday: 6pm Teppan Edo
Tuesday: 4:35pm Hollywood & Vine Fantasmic! dinner package
Wednesday: 9:30am Albatross Cruise for older 2 kids;
6pm Rose and Crown
Thursday: 8am Cape May Cafe
7pm Bluezoo (adults only)
Friday: 8:30am Akershus Princess breakfast
6pm The Garden Grill

Amanda

Here are my issues with my ADRs:

Rose and Crown? Maybe not the best choice, food-wise? Would Chefs de France be better? Has anyone eaten in Morocco? Other suggestions (that are convenient to BCV)?

I was thinking that the Cape May Cafe breakfast would be the morning after Fantasmic! so I made the meal a little later (8am instead of 7:30am). Now that it's not the "morning after" should I make the ADR earlier?

Is 8:30am too late for the Princess breakfast? Should I make that earlier? Or will we appreciate a later start at that point in our trip?

Amanda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter