A Disney-addicted mom plans a trip in August, 2010! *New pics #574*

DrMomof3

DIS Veteran
Finally! An outlet for my Disney-addiction!!!

Cast of Characters:
Amanda (me!), a 38 year old crazy mom of 3
Tom (DH), a 40 year old who (sort-of) tolerates my Disney-addiction
Nathaniel (DS), a 6 year old Star Wars fanatic
Jessica (DD), a 4 year old princess.
Zachary (DS), an almost-2 year old "toddler menace"
Buffy the faithful black lab who always gets left behind

The Plot:
A New York family plans another fabulous trip to Disney. In this episode we're staying in a one-bedroom villa at BCV. I requested a woods/Epcot view villa, not on the 1st floor. I'm dreaming of a room where we can view upper Illuminations but we'll be happy with whatever we get!

Travel dates: August 22-28.

ADRs: Still working on them.

Flights: Ridiculously expensive right now so we're waiting to see if the prices go down.

Welcome to one and all!

Amanda

Previous Disney trips:

May, 2007 - Disneyland. We went to Anaheim for a medical conference and brought the kids. My step-sister and her husband drove down from Northern California with their 2 kids. My parents flew from NY. Kids had a blast! Even my (then) 16 month old daughter enjoyed it.

January, 2008 - Polynesian. 20 weeks pregnant with Zachary. MIL came along. A little frustrating because I couldn't go on a lot of rides but mostly a great trip! We didn't know about ADRs. What a huge mistake! This was a fun trip but with minimal planning. We learned a lot about Disney and we were lucky to be there during the off-season.

May, 2009 - Saratoga Springs. Stayed in a 2 bedroom villa with my parents. Step-sister and family stayed in Downtown Disney. 95 degrees every day. Parents hired a guide for one day at MK. That was awesome! Buses from SSR were a little annoying with 2 strollers... Kids loved the pool and water slide. We made our ADRs later than we should have but still got some good reservations.

December, 2009 - Contemporary. Short trip in early December. Weather was perfect! 80 degrees and sunny every day. Location perfect! On trip down we had a 3 hour flight delay (why did we wake up at 4am for our flight???) and then Zachary puked on the landing. Spent 1st night in laundry room cleaning up mess. Next time we're staying in a villa!!! We used KNO for a great dinner at California Grill. We also took big kids to MVMCP one night (they fell asleep 2 hours into the party!). We probably needed another day or 2 to fully enjoy the Disney experience.

Amanda

A picture from our trip in May, 2009

ry%3D400

And from the Princess' 4th birthday party:

ry%3D400

I'll be following :surfweb: your dates caught my eye. DH, DD4 & I are going Aug. 24-Sept. 2 & staying at the WL-as we have for our last 2 trips because DH won't try anywhere new. We are in NY too, Putnam County. Happy planning:goodvibes Mary

Welcome Mary! We are almost neighbors!

My current issues is trying to figure our my ADRs. Our 180 day window is 2/23. Coming up soon!!!
Here is my current plan:

Sunday: Travel day. Don't know arrival time yet. If we take an early flight, we can try to move the Princess dinner to this night. Otherwise no ADRs.
Monday: Morning EMH at DHS. Dinner at Teppan Edo.
Tuesday: Morning EMH at MK. Dinner at Le Celier.
Wednesday: Albatross cruise 9:30-11:30 for older 2 kids. Fantasmic! Dinner at Mama Melrose.
Thursday: Sleep late! Cape May Cafe for Breakfast. KNO for kids. Bluezoo dinner for grown-ups.
Friday: Akershus Princess breakfast. Garden Grill for dinner.
Saturday: Late flight (hopefully). No ADRs.

Opinions and suggestions are welcome!!!

Amanda

Looks good! Have you done the Garden Grille with the kids before? I was wondering if we would be able to do it?
We are also waiting on flight prices to go down-leaving from white plains.

We always try to fly out of White Plains. I have travel vouchers on Jet Blue because of our 3 hour flight delay in December but I'm not willing to pay the prices that they are currently advertising!
We've never eaten at Garden Grille but I've heard good things (on here). One plus is the family-style dining. I hate the buffets! With 3 kids it's hard for me to ever sit down and eat!!!

Amanda

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and would love to pop over to Universal to check out the new stuff but I don't think it's going to happen this time. The logistics are just too crazy! We've never been to Universal and I'm curious, but not curious enough to include it on this trip. We'll just have to go back again!
One of the huge appeals of Disney for us is the Magical Express. Not having to deal with baggage claim, car seats, etc. is huge. We love that we've never needed a car at Disney. We love not trying to juggle 3 kids and 4-5 suitcases + carry-on bags. That's another major reason we've avoided Universal. I've heard the advantages of staying in the Universal hotel are huge so we'd want to do that. But I don't want to have to deal with our luggage!
Maybe at some point we'll do a split stay: 3 days at Disney, 2 days at Universal, and then back to Disney for 3 days. That way we'd get the Magical Express!

Amanda

Sorry, got the Garden Grille mixed up with Calif Grille again-always do that. We have never eaten at the GG but I hear it is good. We did CG on our honeymoon & don't think it's good for kids.

We are gonna do Seaworld but DH hates leaving property too so he is fighting me every step of the way-I better make it easy for him or I'll never hear the end of it.

Have you looked into the Pirates & Pals Fireworks Voyage so that the baby can come with? My cousin (who lives in Westchester also) took her 3 kids & she loved it just as much as the kids did. We are gonna try it but DD is scared of Hook who shows up.

Sorry, got the Garden Grille mixed up with Calif Grille again-always do that. We have never eaten at the GG but I hear it is good. We did CG on our honeymoon & don't think it's good for kids.

We are gonna do Seaworld but DH hates leaving property too so he is fighting me every step of the way-I better make it easy for him or I'll never hear the end of it.

Have you looked into the Pirates & Pals Fireworks Voyage so that the baby can come with? My cousin (who lives in Westchester also) took her 3 kids & she loved it just as much as the kids did. We are gonna try it but DD is scared of Hook who shows up.

We loved California Grille but I wouldn't take my kids there. Not for that price! It was great for an anniversary dinner though. I loved our waiter - very knowledgeable and able to be sarcastic with a pair of jaded New Yorkers!
I thought the fireworks voyage was more expensive? And my kids are early to bed types. I think the little one will be happy to have 2 hours alone with mommy and daddy!

Amanda

My DH is another one who refuses to leave the property. One of the reasons he's willing to indulge my Disney insanity is that he doesn't have to drive. At all! We aren't big drinkers but we like a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. Little kids + alcohol + driving definitely is a bad combo. Little kids + alcohol + Disney = Happy Parents!

Amanda

Here's my new definition of Disney-addiction: I haven't even finished planning my August, 2010 trip to Disney and I'm already thinking ahead. I realized that my 40th birthday will be October, 2011 and I really want to spend my 40th at the Food and Wine Festival.

Amanda

A day without kids = a day of Disney planning! :rotfl2:
One more week until ADR day. The countdown begins. And I need to remind myself to book the Albatross Cruise at the same time.
I was reading some cute ideas for Disney theme nights. I need to try some of those ideas!!!

Amanda

Hey Amanda, subbing in and saying hi! You're ADR plans look great. I really want to do Teppen Edo but my picky eaters are standing in my way- so take lots of pics and be ready to tell us all about it! LOL

My hubby is the same way about not wanting to drive- that's the whole point of staying on property so no Universal or Sea World for us. *sigh*

Hey Amanda, subbing in and saying hi! You're ADR plans look great. I really want to do Teppen Edo but my picky eaters are standing in my way- so take lots of pics and be ready to tell us all about it! LOL

My hubby is the same way about not wanting to drive- that's the whole point of staying on property so no Universal or Sea World for us. *sigh*

My parents took my kids to Benihana recently and they loved it! I wasn't sure they'd like the food at Teppan Edo but now I feel much better about it.

Although the August trip isn't going to include Universal, I'm really trying to figure out a visit in 2011 so I can see HP!!!

Amanda

My DD4 loved it there last year & can't wait to go back. She is a good eater so she loves the shrimp. But the chef is soooo good with the kids it makes them want to eat.

My parents took my kids to Benihana recently and they loved it! I wasn't sure they'd like the food at Teppan Edo but now I feel much better about it.

Although the August trip isn't going to include Universal, I'm really trying to figure out a visit in 2011 so I can see HP!!!

Amanda

Oh its my dad more than my kids that I'm worried about with not liking the food! :rotfl2:

My DD4 loved it there last year & can't wait to go back. She is a good eater so she loves the shrimp. But the chef is soooo good with the kids it makes them want to eat.
My older 2 love shrimp. I'm sure my kosher FIL is turning in his grave right now....
I should clarify - we're a "mixed" marriage. My DH grew up as an observant Jew and I grew up as a church-going Protestant. We're mostly raising the kids Jewish (my kindergartener goes to Hebrew School for 2 hours every Saturday morning) but we still celebrate Christmas and Easter. We belong to a very liberal and open synagogue where I'm treated very nicely. One advantage of being a New Yorker!
My DH and kids do not eat pork. Which is really too bad for them since I think bacon is one of the yummiest foods on Earth! It's a factor in deciding about using TS for breakfast since they can't eat most breakfast meats (although they do eat turkey bacon and turkey sausage which are becoming more common).

Amanda

Oh its my dad more than my kids that I'm worried about with not liking the food! :rotfl2:

:rotfl2: One of my parents' best friends has the most limited diet of an adult I've ever met. He'll eat steak and burgers. I guess I've seen him eat turkey for Thanksgiving. The only salad he'll eat is iceberg lettuce with Russian dressing. And I think corn and peas are the only veggies he'll eat! I can't imagine traveling with him!!!

Amanda

We're leaving on a non-Disney mini-vacation today. I'm excited about it but also a little disappointed. I had planned to spend the February school holiday in California. I wanted to take the family to San Diego and then Anaheim (yup, Disneyland). I spent weeks planning the trip. My DH was reluctant but said ok. Before we booked the trip, he changed his mind. He decided that we shouldn't spend that much $$$ on vacation. Especially since we had a 4 day Disneyworld trip in December. Instead we're spending 2 nights at Rocking Horse Ranch. Which looks cool and is only 90 minutes away. But I'd rather be in Southern California right now!

Amanda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter