A message from a webmaster re: Covid-19, politics, reporting posts

The guidelines should be applied equally. Posters should not be targeted just because somebody might disagree with them or not like them. Is there anything we can do if we report something that is clearly not following guidelines and we feel a particular mod has protected some posters or targeted others.

I got points for saying the lockdowns were decisive and “could be” political. No political parties or names were mentioned. More guidelines would be great.
Agree, and more information when guidelines are enforced. I got a pm indicating I'd gotten points for something that was apparently either political or religious, but no mention of what exact post it was or what was egregious. It seemed like a auto-generated message. I have to assume whatever it was, the action was in response to somebody reporting it. :rolleyes1I can't avoid repeating a violation if I don't know what it was.

I got popped pretty hard for saying our president favored a certain policy for a certain reason. It was a factual statement (that I won't repeat), the President said so himself. I was not taking him out of context. I was not voicing an opinion, just commenting on why one particular policy might be favored over another.

While critical of some specific policies I don't write opinions about people or even political parties in my posts, but I catch a threshold amount of points and get my post deleted. So I get to walk on eggshells for 2 weeks, yet I report a post that's directly antagonistic and insulting to, what he calls, "Lefties" and that post remains still. And now we're being asked to not report posts for that violate the political opinions rule.

I get it, it's the Disboard's boat, they can do what they like. But then just be open about it and say you're going to enforce the rule sometimes and not others.

The guidelines should be applied equally. Posters should not be targeted just because somebody might disagree with them or not like them. Is there anything we can do if we report something that is clearly not following guidelines and we feel a particular mod has protected some posters or targeted others.
I posted a non-political article from a website that apparently some people don't like. They reported it, but I didn't get points and as far as I know, the article wasn't removed. The moderator made a comment on the thread, but when I asked the mod what the guidelines were for posting articles He had no idea what I was talking about. I guess if you can't remember a post from 15 minutes ago then you are getting way too many people reporting things they don't agree with.

Sounds like a good time to step away and take a break.

To those feeling a need for more specific guidelines to address this, I recommend that you find another forum to discuss politics that is more geared to that. If you are that invested in discussing these issues, the DIS is probably not the best place for that.

Play nice, don’t insult or attack other posters, don’t proselytize about your political leanings, don’t carry on about “left” or “right” or specific parties. Understand that the moderator team here is composed of individuals who volunteer. Different people are going to have different filters and different interpretations and different tolerances. If you are pushing boundaries, you are probably going to win some and lose some. Try not pushing boundaries here. That is not what we are about.

Remember that this is primarily a site dedicated to Disney trip planning. The Community Board exists to allow for more general and fun topics. Respectful and helpful, amusing or community building conversation is welcome. If that is not your style, please consider taking a break until this is over.

None of us ever know completely who got how many points for what. As such, neither you, nor me, nor anyone else has any basis to accuse the mods of favoritism or targeting somebody.

Last edited:
For me, the issue is that I come here to get away from any political issues as I'm on the other side of the fence from most real life friends. There shouldn't be a gray area on this board if it says no politics. I can understand someone saying "our governor just continued the isolation for another 3 weeks" vs that idiot in the white house...………… 1 is stating a fact that doesn't need fact checking with no opinion of the person , 2 is an opinion of a political person and the topic may or may not be factual depending on the news channel they watch LOL 2 should be deleted/reported in my opinion.

How does one get "points?" How are they assigned, and where do you see them? I've had a couple of posts deleted in the past - deservedly, and received a message about it, but nothing about "points." What do the points do?

Perhaps avoid posting anything you think might be questionable.
All news websites have a political bias but not all articles on those websites are political This article certainly was not. If certain websites are going to trigger people than no articles shoukd be posted at all. I was just agreeing with your original post that people will report anything they dislike.

How does one get "points?" How are they assigned, and where do you see them? I've had a couple of posts deleted in the past - deservedly, and received a message about it, but nothing about "points." What do the points do?
The Terms and rules can be found at the bottom of the page. Read the rules and guidelines -- they are pretty clear and easy to follow. There is an explanation about points at the bottom of the Guidelines page. When someone posts something that breaks the rules, usually they first receive a warning to let them know that what they did was wrong, so they can avoid it in the future. It depends on the level of the infraction. Sometimes it can be something obviously huge and deliberate -- when a warning would be too little, too late. If points are given, the poster will receive notice of this and the reason why. This is not arbitrary or deceptive. Mods are not trying to mess with you. We are trying to keep these boards running in a peaceful, family friendly way. Does this make sense?

The Terms and rules can be found at the bottom of the page. Read the rules and guidelines -- they are pretty clear and easy to follow. There is an explanation about points at the bottom of the Guidelines page. When someone posts something that breaks the rules, usually they first receive a warning to let them know that what they did was wrong, so they can avoid it in the future. It depends on the level of the infraction. Sometimes it can be something obviously huge and deliberate -- when a warning would be too little, too late. If points are given, the poster will receive notice of this and the reason why. This is not arbitrary or deceptive. Mods are not trying to mess with you. We are trying to keep these boards running in a peaceful, family friendly way. Does this make sense?
Makes sense. Except I have been banned from a thread with no explanation at all from whichever mod did it.

Cripe. We don't need more guidelines. No need to lament the mods or brown nose the mods. Post away. Try to be nice. And if you get points, life goes on. Its not really that difficult. And reporting posts? Really? People actually do that?

Last edited:
It would probably be the mod in charge of the board where that thread resides. At least, that is where I would start looking.
Thanks. I'll start a conversation with the usual mod for there and see how it goes. I suspect it wasnt that mod that did it though as others have said they are usually good at communicating the reason in advance and generally sticking to the guidelines you mentioned.

I am shocked to hear how often posts get reported. People really feel the need to constantly do that? Yikes! I have been on this board for a long time, and I have never felt the need to report anyone. I feel for the mods having to deal with so many reports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter