A message from a webmaster re: Covid-19, politics, reporting posts

But it doesn't stop you seeing a thread that they've "renewed" (not the word that I want, but I cannot come up with the right word). I tried that yesterday after one poster caused games threads to take over the entire first page of the Community Board, but all that happens is that you see "ignored member", where you'd normally see the most recent poster.
Right. You will not see any threads they START. If they reply to a thread, that will bump the thread back to the top, but you will not see their priceless input.

I use the Ignore feature very sparingly, but it sure improves the quality of discussion in some cases.

Right. You will not see any threads they START. If they reply to a thread, that will bump the thread back to the top, but you will not see their priceless input.

I use the Ignore feature very sparingly, but it sure improves the quality of discussion in some cases.
Asking for a friend 😉, do people know that you have ignored them, or they do they just end up arguing with themselves?

Asking for a friend 😉, do people know that you have ignored them, or they do they just end up arguing with themselves?
I don't think they know -- not that I care. I don't see anything in my profile that says, "People Ignoring YOU."

I've only put a total of 20 people on Ignore -- in 15 years on the DIS -- and I think about half of those are no longer active.

I know that I am being really stupid for a Monday morning but I just checked and saw that I have trophy points??? What are these? Did I get points and not even know it??

I got a bit ignore-happy about a month ago, it was helpful to my stress level.

I did go back Friday and remove everyone I put on the list. I like to start fresh from time to time. So far only one person is back on it.

I got a bit ignore-happy about a month ago, it was helpful to my stress level.

I did go back Friday and remove everyone I put on the list. I like to start fresh from time to time. So far only one person is back on it.
WHO?

jk...DON'T answer that!

I know that I am being really stupid for a Monday morning but I just checked and saw that I have trophy points??? What are these? Did I get points and not even know it??
Those are GOOD points -- participation trophies and compliments. If you click on the number of points, you can see what they are for.

I guess I am a bit of a loss. I haven't ever seen one poster in the 10+ years of Disboards that deserved a nuclear reaction of ignore or banning them. Who are these people you are talking about and what did they do?
Banning, sure -- but I hardly see ignore as a nuclear reaction. It just prevents me from seeing a person I'm tired of seeing, and is super easy to reverse. There was a point where "it's just the flu" was making this place unenjoyable for me, so I ignored it for awhile. now i'm not.

I had not used the ignore function until just recently. I'm not on Facebook, Twitter, or any other major social network, but I think I got a taste of it here lately. There are just too many thinly-veiled (or not even veiled) personal insults and political attacks, plus just general negativity, rage, and shaming. I understand the mods letting more go now, but it's not the DIS I was used to visiting. I've now ignored just a handful of users, but it's obvious how much they post from all the "Ignored member" notifications I see.

I find it ironic that ads on this thread are asking for a vote as to who is better, current or former.

And this is just a statement of fact from me regarding forum advertising, not my opinion

Yes, they do. You can't see their posts, but they can see and react to yours, unfortunately.
Oh, huh. Well, no harm, no foul I suppose. If I’m not seeing their response to mine all the better. If I really, truly valued their opinion I wouldn’t have them on ‘ignore.’
I guess I am a bit of a loss. I haven't ever seen one poster in the 10+ years of Disboards that deserved a nuclear reaction of ignore or banning them. Who are these people you are talking about and what did they do?
For me, there are posters who have as a matter of course have always stirred the pot. With Coronavirus they have gone into overdrive, several going out of their way to incite fear while trying to press every hot button they can. I would say half on my list specifically came to the CB to do just that. Never seen those people before the virus hit. For the record I don’t block people I disagree with. I think they bring value to a conversation but if your intent is to purposely try to scare already frightened people I just don’t want to deal with that.
I've used the ignore button more in the last month than I have in the entire time I've been on these boards.
Been here 12 years and only started using it around mid March. There are people on The DIS who have driven me batcrap for years and I’ve never blocked them. Still haven’t. I suspect a good portion that I have blocked are on a lot of other people’s lists too. They’re talking only to themselves and don’t even know it. 🤣

For me, there are posters who have as a matter of course have always stirred the pot. With Coronavirus they have gone into overdrive, several going out of their way to incite fear while trying to press every hot button they can.

I'm guilty of stirring the pot. I also am guilty of posting false and misleading information. Maybe I should apply for a job of those cable tv "news" sites that I so often disparage

I guess I would rather hang out with a group of people that I disagree with. Forces me to think and bring my A game so I can refute their arguements.

Oh, huh. Well, no harm, no foul I suppose. If I’m not seeing their response to mine all the better. If I really, truly valued their opinion I wouldn’t have them on ‘ignore.’
Sometimes that can be fun.

Not here on the DIS, but on another website, there is a guy who is a) literally illiterate, and b) apparently has had losing encounters with law enforcement at some point in his life. I'm a retired cop and he knows that, so every once in a while he goes off on how hard he works compared to me, the size of my pension (of which he has no clue) and all sorts of other stuff.

I occasionally read some of his posts, but I just laugh and go on with the rest of my day without answering. It finally dawned on him that I was ignoring him, so he challenged me to talk to him on ******* "...unlass your chicken!" I haven't been able to find time to answer him yet, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter