A message from a webmaster re: Covid-19, politics, reporting posts

Don't be too shocked or surprised. There are those on chatboards who use many reports as a way to try to censor. Others can individually report an actual infraction like personal attacks like 'stupid' and 'crazy', and there can be no reponse. I have seen this on other boards as well.

Why is it a problem to ask about these things?

It was mentioned to me to maybe take a break.
I haven't posted on here really for months.
Not since I saw a lot of what was going on.
I am home with this quarantine and thought I would take a look at how the people on the DIS were faring.
I am taking that advice.

Last edited:
These “points” are confusing because when I click on my icon in a theead I see I have “93 points”. But I assume these are different “points” from the ones people are mentioning in this thread?

These “points” are confusing because when I click on my icon I see I have 93 “trophy points”? I assume these are different “points” from the ones people are mentioning in this thread?
If you don't know what points they are talking about, you're fine. You would know. :thumbsup2

I honestly haven't seen any examples of any mod censoring posts to comply with one political point of view or another. I have no idea if they have handed out any points, and I seriously doubt they have banned anyone, lol.

Oh I've gotten points, and had posts censored. Posters have been banned. It's done privately.

These “points” are confusing because when I click on my icon in a theead I see I have “93 points”. But I assume these are different “points” from the ones people are mentioning in this thread?
I don’t even know where you are looking.😂

None of us ever know completely who got how many points for what. As such, neither you, nor me, nor anyone else has any basis to accuse the mods of favoritism or targeting somebody.
No, I don't think it's fair to accuse the mods of favoritism. Modding a forum is a great deal of (mostly) thankless work and I do appreciate that. Taken as a group, I think the mods, represent a broad spectrum political and social worldviews, and that they do a great job of leaving those views to the side and managing their forums in a neutral manner. For the most part I think the mods pretty hands-off until there is a complaint.

If we're going to say that some political opinions violate the 'no political opinion' rule and some don't, then every decision the mods make, even when considered with the intent of fairness, is going to have the suspicion of unconscious bias at least. Especially when someone sees their posts or posts expressing their viewpoint taken down and penalized while contrary opinions and even personal attacks are left standing.
Posts like...
  • Lefties and math....:headache: (associating a math error in a previous post to the person's political beliefs)
  • You clearly live in an alternate reality. Ridiculous. You believe in unicorns and a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow too? (responding to a post that gave the opinion that broadcast network news was "pretty solid.")
  • But any one who proposes printing money is stupid. (an opinion of people who support stimulus measures)

And now when we report them, we are told not to. If there's a rule then it should be a rule. But that's just my (already suspect) opinion.

For those with a specific question about an action taken regarding your own account, please start by privately asking the Moderator or Webmaster who issued the warning.

If you feel additional information is indicated, you may send questions/concerns to admin@wdwinfo.com where they will be reviewed by all DIS Webmasters. It helps if links, dates, usernames and a complete description is provided.

If a response is warranted it will be provided. Questions/concerns about accounts other than their own will not likely receive any reply.

Don't be too shocked or surprised. There are those on chatboards who use many reports as a way to try to censor. Others can individually report an actual infraction like personal attacks like 'stupid' and 'crazy', and there can be no reponse. I have seen this on other boards as well.

Why is it a problem to ask about these things?

It was mentioned to me to maybe take a break.
I haven't posted on here really for months.
Not since I saw a lot of what was going on.
I am home with this quarantine and thought I would take a look at how the people on the DIS were faring.
I am taking that advice.

Read your post a little too fast and swore it said "farting". :rotfl2:

... And now when we report them, we are told not to. If there's a rule then it should be a rule. But that's just my (already suspect) opinion.
There is a big difference between reporting a post which is causing an actual problem (e.g. spam, profanity, personal attack, etc.) and "nuisance reporting" (e.g. "I don't like that poster so I am going to nitpick all his/her posts and report them to get him/her in trouble" or "Clearly, every post which disagrees with my opinions must be reported!"). We encourage DISers to report the former, not the latter.

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention about the "Ignore" feature for those not familiar. If a particular poster is grinding your gears, click on their user name and then click "Ignore". I've not used it a lot, but from what I have seen, you can't view their posts anymore. Not sure if threads they originate are still viewable though. But either way, it will help deter the temptation to engage and potentially break the rules :)

Just wanted to mention about the "Ignore" feature for those not familiar. If a particular poster is grinding your gears, click on their user name and then click "Ignore". I've not used it a lot, but from what I have seen, you can't view their posts anymore. Not sure if threads they originate are still viewable though. But either way, it will help deter the temptation to engage and potentially break the rules :)
You won’t see the threads they start either.

You won’t see the threads they start either.

But it doesn't stop you seeing a thread that they've "renewed" (not the word that I want, but I cannot come up with the right word). I tried that yesterday after one poster caused games threads to take over the entire first page of the Community Board, but all that happens is that you see "ignored member", where you'd normally see the most recent poster.

But it doesn't stop you seeing a thread that they've "renewed" (not the word that I want, but I cannot come up with the right word). I tried that yesterday after one poster caused games threads to take over the entire first page of the Community Board, but all that happens is that you see "ignored member", where you'd normally see the most recent poster.
Right. I guess it depends on your personal filter on how it will work for you. For now I’ve blocked people who purposely try to incite fear and/or controversy just for the sake of doing it. In the past it was easy to just skip over them but there are some threads where there’s good discussion and calm, rational people that I do want to read so this has been working for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter