• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A warning about a Disney product

Regardless of whether or not this was their intended use if something like this happened when it was on his wrist asleep I'm sure something like this could happen when a child was awake.

I agree. And I don't see what the child's age had to do with it. He wore the watch, just like a child of 6 or older.

OP, glad you are letting disney know. Buttons shouldn't get stuck, allowing the watch to get so hot!

My concern is more about THIRD degree burns though. For those, the skin is charred and gone...without the skin there to protect from micro-organisms, infection risk is HUGE. A few years ago, my CAT got lots of little 3rd-degree burns all over her. She was hospitalized, and heavily medicated with heavy pain-killers, antibiotics, prescription-strength burn cream, and multiple surgeries. Please, if you haven't already, third degree burns MUST be treated by medical professionals.

If it happened while the kid was sleeping..it could happen while a kid was awake...so sleeping in the watch should not even be an issue. A kid might not feel the burn until it is too late!!

I don't think it matters whether the watch was worn to sleep or not. As has been pointed out, the problem could have happened whether or not the child was asleep. I do wonder however whether the button was actually "stuck", or if while the child was sleeping, he moved his arm so the button was "pressed" for a long time.

Either way, the product should NOT get hot. My next question is whether this is an isolated incident (ie: someone put this watch together wrong) or if this is a design flaw. If it's the former, a recall isn't necessary. If the latter, yes the watch should be recalled.

OP, glad you are letting disney know. Buttons shouldn't get stuck, allowing the watch to get so hot!

My concern is more about THIRD degree burns though. For those, the skin is charred and gone...without the skin there to protect from micro-organisms, infection risk is HUGE. A few years ago, my CAT got lots of little 3rd-degree burns all over her. She was hospitalized, and heavily medicated with heavy pain-killers, antibiotics, prescription-strength burn cream, and multiple surgeries. Please, if you haven't already, third degree burns MUST be treated by medical professionals.

I'm a surgeon, and my wife is an ER nurse. We're qualified to take care of his burn.:goodvibes

For everyone else, appreciate the input, if anybody has a number that I can call, it would be helpful. For those questioning why he was sleeping in it or why a 3 year old was wearing a watch, it doesn't matter. NO watch should get hot enough to burn someone, no matter the age or how it's used, unless you throw it in the microwave or oven. It's an unsafe product. That's all there is to it.

Little guy is doing fine. He's a trooper. Obviously doesn't want to wear the watch anymore.

When I was a kid I had a pink flowered Timex with an elastic fabric band that I wore for YEARS and never took off. i don't think wearing a watch 24/7 for a kid is strange. And one that lights up? Well that's just screaming to be taken to bed.

Nevertheless, any children's product that gets hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns is a safety hazard and needs to be recalled.

I agree, and if my 3yo had one and I tried to take it off for bed, he'd be having a huge meltdown and I would consider it a "pick your battle" deal and let him sleep with it.

I too believe that sleeping with a watch on is out of the norm. Hubby used to keep his on, but it was keeping me awake, so I helped him understand that he needed to lose that weird habit.

I disagree with this. Sleeping with a watch on is not weird or very unusual. I am wondering if the people who say sleeping with a watch on is out of the norm also take off all their jewelry before going to bed (including wedding rings)? I have always slept with all my jewelry on, including my watch. And most everyone I know has and does.

Sleeping with a real watch is probably not out of the norm.....but lets face it this watch was a toy. I don't personally allow my children to wear anything that houses a battery to bed.

But this is neither here nor there as I'm pretty sure this watch has already been recalled.

I agree, and if my 3yo had one and I tried to take it off for bed, he'd be having a huge meltdown and I would consider it a "pick your battle" deal and let him sleep with it.

wow. glad to know who is in charge in your house!

Sorry this happened to your son.

I do have question - did you let your son sleep with the watch on? Somehow, I don't think this is it's intended use.

Not sure it it would be recalled, as I'm sure that you did not use the watch properly. It takes a lot of work to actually enact product recalls. One of which is that the product is used correctly. That is not to say that your son deserved to be burned, but as soon as you tell them he slept with it on for many hours, I think they are going to have issues with that. Maybe I misunderstood your post?

Hope your son is feeling better, Tiger

Watches are meant to be worn for many hours on it at a time. People put on watches when they get dressed in the morning and wear them at least until they get undressed at night. For many, that's more time then they are asleep.

This incident could easily have happened while the child was awake, so I don't know if your argument holds water. The watch should never have gotten that hot in the first place.

Definitely let them know. The point is that when the lights are on for a long time they heat up and can burn someone.

Sure they may ask the circumstances, but they aren't going to roll their eyes at you. They will take it seriously. A burn is a burn.

WOW. I cannot believe all the people who defend all that is Disney. A little kid was burned wearing a buzz lightyear wristwatch. Who cares if he shouldn't have had it on when he was sleeping. What if he was riding in the car and fell asleep and it burned his arm?

I toy burned his arm it should be reported and recalled. I can't believe what some people will argue on behalf of Disney.

I understand some people make a moutain out of a mole hill sometimes when it come to their kids but OP is not talking about suing Disney she is just calling customer service.

wow. glad to know who is in charge in your house!

How is the 3 year old "in charge" because she wants to avoid a meltdown?

Thing is, a watch is just a watch. You can't nitpick your kids on every little thing, or it's going to cause a disaster.

Personally? I always wore a watch to bed. My parents didn't fight it because, in their minds, it was just a watch! What's the point of working up a kid at bedtime for no reason? Parenting is an art, not a science. Sure you don't want your kid in charge, however, you need to let them have a personality without being overbearing. A watch is nothing in the grand scheme of things, and definitely doesn't say the child is the one "in charge".

To the OP: I'm glad the watch was recalled! That is awesome :)

I've never worn a watch to bed, but I knew some people did, because you see it on TV and in movies (of course, according to TV and movies, women usually have sex while wearing a bra... :confused3). Anyway, I wonder if he could have rolled over in his sleep in a way that pressed on the button and kept it pressed so the light stayed on.

How is the 3 year old "in charge" because she wants to avoid a meltdown?

These are the kids in front of you in the grocery line screaming for the candy because they know mom doesn't have the balls to say "no." 3 year olds are smart enough to undrstand the concept. Being a parent isn't about nitpicking, but it is about teaching boundaries and behavior and not being scared of a meltdown.

when i wore a watch i wore it 24/7. OP, I am glad the watch was recalled and your young man is ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter