• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A warning about a Disney product

Just for the record, a LOT of Disney's "light up" toys get ridiculously hot if the buttons are kept depressed for a long time.

We have one of those light up Mickey spinners. It lives in the toybox. The other day, my son went to get it, and it was sort of squished in there, between a couple other toys. The other toys were causing the buttons to be depressed (but it was so squished that the "ears" could not spin). He grabbed it out, and promptly dropped it, screaming. I ran over, picked it up, and felt that the ENTIRE toy was burning hot! It was so hot, in fact, that the plastic on the buttons was starting to warp. Who knows how long it had been in the toybox like that? Luckily, everything in the toybox is plastic, as is the box itself, so fire was not really a concern of mine.

Point is, ANYTHING that has a battery, lights up, and has buttons has the potential to become very hot in certain circumstances. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with the toy, or that it's "cheap". Electricity generates heat as a byproduct. If a button is kept depressed and a light is on for too long, it will overheat.

This watch recall seems to be more about a chemical reaction between the watch battery and the metal of the watch backing causing a skin reaction, not an actual burn.

OP, unfortunately, allowing your child to sleep in this watch was the cause of his injury. Don't beat yourself up over it. Learn from it, and move on. You can probably at least get your money back since the watch has been recalled.

To those who let their child sleep with toys that light up: heed the warning. Those things can get HOT...

Honestly, i don't think it should matter if a kid were to fall asleep with it on.
Kids are very active and playing consists of no less than rolling around on the ground and wrestling. So who's to say the button couldn't have gotten stuck while he was pretending to Buzz himself?
The fact is the button did get stuck an the watch did over heat.
No matter how it happened it is dangerous and scary and unless there is a warning on the package somewhere that says
"Do not wear while sleeping" then it is the companies responsiblity to inform customers that it should not be worn in bed or take responisblity for burns on a childs wrist.

These are the kids in front of you in the grocery line screaming for the candy because they know mom doesn't have the balls to say "no." 3 year olds are smart enough to undrstand the concept. Being a parent isn't about nitpicking, but it is about teaching boundaries and behavior and not being scared of a meltdown.

when i wore a watch i wore it 24/7. OP, I am glad the watch was recalled and your young man is ok.

Avoiding a meltdown so there is no disciplinary action is different than not stopping a meltdown. If the child doesn't get the chance to try to assert their territory (as in, not even making it a problem that they want to wear the watch to bed) they don't associate it with being bad (like stopping your child from throwing a temper tantrum in a store).

Like I said, if the parent felt that "avoiding a meltdown" (as in, not even pressing the issue so the kid can't see it as winning) was worth it for the watch, that doesn't say the same course of action would be in place for a candy bar in the store.

I'm glad to hear the watch was recalled.

I wear my watch to bed all the time. I take it off when I shower, otherwise it's on my wrist. It's actually waterproof so I don't have to take it off.

I don't know anyone that takes their watch off to sleep! So for those that think I'm strange for sleeping with it, I think you are strange to take it off!

it really annoys me that people seem to be "attacking" the person who posted this :confused3 They were just being kind to let others know in case they had purchased the same watch! I would probably have let my child sleep in a watch if she threw a fit about taking it off.

OP, I am so glad they recalled the watches and hope your little one has healed. I used to wear my watch all the time even through the night.

Avoiding a meltdown so there is no disciplinary action is different than not stopping a meltdown. If the child doesn't get the chance to try to assert their territory (as in, not even making it a problem that they want to wear the watch to bed) they don't associate it with being bad (like stopping your child from throwing a temper tantrum in a store).

Like I said, if the parent felt that "avoiding a meltdown" (as in, not even pressing the issue so the kid can't see it as winning) was worth it for the watch, that doesn't say the same course of action would be in place for a candy bar in the store.

I have to agree completely with this. Once you set the boundary, yes, you have to follow through to the end, which will end up with a lot of stress and frustration for everyone involved, so even though you "win" the fight, you still lose. If, on the other hand, you can anticipate that a request will be met with resistance, and the request isn't necessary due to safety or other concerns, by not making the request in the first place, everyone can go to sleep happy, and since they didn't push any boudaries, you didn't actually give in to anything; a win all around. In the case of a watch, I wouldn't have anticipated it to be a safety issue (when I wore a watch, I always wore it to bed), so I wouldn't have even thought to ask for it to be taken off.

We try to limit our boundaries to issues of safety and necessity and let our toddler have a lot of freedom to exlpore and learn otherwise. It makes for a happier, more inquisitive toddler while still maintaining a respect for the rules that are there "because it's unsafe". At 41, I stilll to this day resent every time that I was told "because I said so" because it disregarded my ability to think and reason. I wanted reasons why, darnit!

Anyway, sorry, back to the topic. I'm glad to see that the watch has been recalled; but I wonder how they expect to get the info to the customers that bought the things. Baby products are usually registered so that the owners can be contacted, but toys like this aren't.

I don't know anyone who takes their watch off when they go to bed. I guess everyone I know is a weirdo. Good to know. ;)

I own a Disney artisan watch, you know, one of the ones they hand draw and handmake at Disney? And I wear it 24/7. Dh wears his watch all the time, too, unless he's at work (no watches or jewelry allowed in the NICU).

I hope the OP's son heals quickly. It sucks when your child gets hurt or sick, no matter what the cause.

There are a lot of "no's" in this world that aren't safety oriented. My kids have managed to retain an inquisitive nature as teens...I see you have a 13 month old... lol, I even have managed to keep these p[ositive characteristics even though my mom occasionally did not have the time to explain neverything to the umpteenth. Teachers have classrooms of kids. Learning "no" at home makes their lives a million times easier too. Maybe you just need to deal with your issues rather than solving them vicariously through your child.

There are a lot of "no's" in this world that aren't safety oriented. My kids have managed to retain an inquisitive nature as teens...I see you have a 13 month old... lol, I even have managed to keep these p[ositive characteristics even though my mom occasionally did not have the time to explain neverything to the umpteenth. Teachers have classrooms of kids. Learning "no" at home makes their lives a million times easier too. Maybe you just need to deal with your issues rather than solving them vicariously through your child.

Why would you feel the need to launch a personal attack on another poster to try and prove your point? People have disagreed on this thread and yet no one else has attacked anyone like you have :sad2: Isn't a personal attack like this against Dis guidelines?

I can tell you that when I read a post as nasty as yours, I immediately disregard any points you might have made that I could agree with because all I can see is ugliness. It is OK to disagree with someone, it's not OK to try and destroy them :sad2:

Kelma - mom to 2 little princes and 2 little princesses

I've always slept with my watch on. I'm so near-sighted it's teh only thing I can tell time with in the middle of the night!!

my niece woke up one night to burns on her hand due to the remote control for the tv. Somehow the batteries got really hot and burned her skin. Who knows if it was hot enough to burn the sheets- she woke up- but it hurt!

I so agree with the bolded. My kids have been told no on many things not safety oriented and they are still quite inquisitive. I have a friend who does not tell her kids no and I feel bad for the kids. Heck, they go in a store and the kids walk out with a new toy. The kids want to do something and the parents let them. The kids even have their own televisions in their rooms and have them on ALL night long. The parents don't want the "frustration" of telling them no or "fighting" with them over things. :rolleyes1

I wear my watch. I wear it all the time. It is water proof. I actually feel weird when I dont have it on. So does DH and MIL and FIL and my mom. :confused3

OP glad that your son is okay :) And that a recall was issued.

For the ones picking on others about their parenting please remember that for every finger you point there are three pointing back at you. No parent is perfect and no child is perfect and the minute you think they are or you are..life will prove otherwise.

I'm glad to hear the watch has been recalled. And OP, how is your son doing now?

I chimed in on this thread as I couldn't believe how many people say they don't wear a watch to bed. And I think a couple people in fact said watches should not be worn to bed? :confused3 I don't belive I have ever heard anything like that before.

I wear a watch to bed. For years! When I wake up, I want to know what time it is. If I happen to be wearing my waterproof watch at the time, I don't bother taking it off for a shower either.

Last Christmas (2009) my husband gifted me a really nice watch. It doesn't have a night light unfortunately. Or, not so unfortunately because I discovered that if I wear it non-stop for a few days - it seems to 'peel' the skin off underneath the plate (right word?). I had to coat the bottom with clear nailpolish. Strange. I don't wear it very often.

I don't know anyone who takes their watch off when they go to bed. I guess everyone I know is a weirdo. Good to know. ;)

I own a Disney artisan watch, you know, one of the ones they hand draw and handmake at Disney? And I wear it 24/7. Dh wears his watch all the time, too, unless he's at work (no watches or jewelry allowed in the NICU).

I hope the OP's son heals quickly. It sucks when your child gets hurt or sick, no matter what the cause.

i was just teasing about the weirdo thing! When i wore a watch it was 24/7 too. Sorry!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter